HR Professionals: Should I put "Private Pilot" on resume?

Pjsmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
pjsmith
I am, unfortunately, in the hunt for a new position. Since the last three places I worked more or less recruited me, I haven't had to seriously re-write my resume in nearly ten years.

In the process, my S.O. pointed out that on the final revisions, I had removed "Licensed Private Pilot" from the list of licenses/activities, and that I should definitely put it back in at least as a memory point.

I had taken it out because it seemed, uh, a little pompous. And not at all related to job qualification (Corporate Counsel/Business Lawyer).

What do you all think? Should it go back on or stay off? I see the merits of both, and could use feedback. What have you all done?

I use it, and its helped me in the past, either by being a conversation starter, or by showing to them that you can do things you set out to do.

Include it if it's pertinant, discard it if not.

Best thing to do is have a resume that you customize for each potential job. And a "one sheet" introduction resume that helps you get the door open on a general search.

I tended to leave personal accomplishments for in-person discussion rather than put it on the resume. If you're interviewing for an aviation-related company or position, then you absolutely should include it. If you're interviewing for a finance role at an insurance company, I'd leave it off. You never know when you'll run across a person or company that had a bad experience with GA and it becomes a real negative on your resume.

FWIW, the average amount of time a potential hiring authority looks at your resume is 45 seconds to a minute. You gotta impress them in the time with something that stands out as an accomplishment or "hook". Learn about your audience before sending and then make the decision to include/exclude.

With word processing and laser printers, it's really easy to generate custom resumes for each job prospect....

My euro 0.013

I think indication of being a Certificated Pilot is indication you're an achiever. You've worked for something very few people have attempted and even fewer have achieved. If it's brought up in an interview why it's significant, mention you're one of only some 500,000 such certificates in the entire US population. Use it as demonstration of enjoying a passion that also requires discipline and skill to exercise. It requires substantial rules and knowledge.

That single line can help quite a bit to build you up for other qualifications that may not be as apparent.

I've always included it. Not sure if ever really helped or not--but it has proved to be a conversation starter. Anything to help them remember you.

I am, unfortunately, in the hunt for a new position. Since the last three places I worked more or less recruited me, I haven't had to seriously re-write my resume in nearly ten years.

In the process, my S.O. pointed out that on the final revisions, I had removed "Licensed Private Pilot" from the list of licenses/activities, and that I should definitely put it back in at least as a memory point.

I had taken it out because it seemed, uh, a little pompous. And not at all related to job qualification (Corporate Counsel/Business Lawyer).

What do you all think? Should it go back on or stay off? I see the merits of both, and could use feedback. What have you all done?

I'd tell you to hit the bricks since it's a certificate, not a license and I don't know if could trust you to tell the difference between the details and nuances within the company with such a blatant error on your resume. :rofl:

Good luck on the hunt though.

If you can determine who will be interviewing or evaluating you, check the Airmen Database to see if any are pilots themselves. I realize it is a rarefied group (!), but I have found a very significant percentage of lawyers are pilots, and you would have a great point of common interest if the interviewing partner happens to be a flyer.

Also, if the firm is at all engaged in the representation of clients in aviation-related matters, the pilot credential would, of course, be relevant.

I'd put in on and put a picture of my airplane on it too. No one else will have a photo of an airplane on their resume, and that will help differentiate it from the pack. I used this strategy on my old Industrial CV, and it had a 100% return rate.

I'd tell you to hit the bricks since it's a certificate, not a license and I don't know if could trust you to tell the difference between the details and nuances within the company with such a blatant error on your resume. :rofl:

Hmmmmm, well:

1) As you were showing me to the curb based on your semantical analysis of the accuracy of my resume, it would likely be a good time for me to demonstrate my command of legislative interpretation by pointing out that the term "Pilot License" has been and continues to be used interchangeably with the more buttoned-down term "Airmen Certificate", and that such use, even by the FAA, NTSB and congressional members who pass the enacting legislation renders the terms functionally equivalent;

2) Since the terms are functionally equivalent, but the term "Pilot License" is in general use whereas "Airmen Certificate" is not, I should think I would be given props for speaking to my audience rather than, to paraphrase Twain, striking my education like a gold pocketwatch; and

3) I likely wouldn't stick around long enough for rejection if I actually came across an employer who could not understand the choice of vernacular. I've worked for people with sticks up their collective asses, and I won't do it again. Being hung up on that would tell me that they simply don't know what is and is not important.

But hey, what do I know.

Thanks for the good wishes:)

It's just a peeve of mine. Sort of like a "near miss" isn't a hit.

:)

Hmmmmm, well:

1) As you were showing me to the curb based on your semantical analysis of the accuracy of my resume, it would likely be a good time for me to demonstrate my command of legislative interpretation by pointing out that the term "Pilot License" has been and continues to be used interchangeably with the more buttoned-down term "Airmen Certificate", and that such use, even by the FAA, NTSB and congressional members who pass the enacting legislation renders the terms functionally equivalent;

2) Since the terms are functionally equivalent, but the term "Pilot License" is in general use whereas "Airmen Certificate" is not, I should think I would be given props for speaking to my audience rather than, to paraphrase Twain, striking my education like a gold pocketwatch; and

3) I likely wouldn't stick around long enough for rejection if I actually came across an employer who could not understand the choice of vernacular. I've worked for people with sticks up their collective asses, and I won't do it again. Being hung up on that would tell me that they simply don't know what is and is not important.

But hey, what do I know.

Aw, shucks, Ed's just bein' Ed. :p

PS-

Great comeback, counselor! Too bad I can't afford you.

Hmmmmm, well:

But hey, what do I know.

This gonna be an interesting interview!

I don't have it on mine. The only time I thought "should have been there" was when I interviewed at a small company (not aviation related business) that had all kinds of aviation charts and pics on the walls ... I got the job anyway.

Gretchen Jahn was there at the time, before she moved on to Mooney. The wall decorations were her idea.

It's just a peeve of mine. Sort of like a "near miss" isn't a hit.

:)

No worries, mate. For years I corrected anyone using the word 'Thru' for 'through' referring to the same as Taco Bell English, until one day someone pointed out that 'Thru', while bad form, has now been upgraded from improper slang to the informal version of a word by the folks over at Merriam Webster. This damned dynamic language of ours.......:rolleyes:

No worries, mate. For years I corrected anyone using the word 'Thru' for 'through' referring to the same as Taco Bell English, until one day someone pointed out that 'Thru', while bad form, has now been upgraded from improper slang to the informal version of a word by the folks over at Merriam Webster. This damned dynamic language of ours.......:rolleyes:

Ack! Thru is official? Cripes! That really sticks in my craw.

Heck, check for cheque drives me nuts too, but it's not your fault that Americans can't spell.

I'd include it. Shows determination, follow-through, ability to follow, and understand rules, ability to multitask, etc. All very positive and pertinent traits in almost any professional workplace. And it's a great conversation started and will cause them to remember you.

As far as bad experiences with GA, you run similar risks if they've had bad experiences with any of your former employers or even industries. ("Oh, he worked for a used car salesman!" or "Oh, he worked for Bank of America!")

I've put it on my resume, but to be honest I get more questions about playing Lacrosse in college than that I fly.

My wife, who has been in HR her entire career, agrees with Bill. If it is not related to the job, why risk the possibility of it being construed as a negative?

My wife, who has been in HR her entire career, agrees with Bill. If it is not related to the job, why risk the possibility of it being construed as a negative?

Because it may be construed as a positive more often then a negative.

I have heard this too. I'll turn it around and say that when I send someone my resume for a pilot job I obviously list my certificates and ratings but I don't include my hobbies, not that I have very many. I don't think hanging out on the internet in flashchat would be viewed positively. :dunno:

That said, if the job has any aviation angle at all I might include it.

Ack! Thru is official? Cripes! That really sticks in my craw.

Heck, check for cheque drives me nuts too, but it's not your fault that Americans can't spell.

What REALLY drives me crazy is that "it's" is becoming interchangeable with "its".

Also, the fact that many people cannot distinguish between bring and take, that also drives me nuts. It's bad enough in slang, but when I hear it in movies/tv I think, "who are their writers", and, "this is now being perpetuated".

Augh!!

Last edited:
It helped me get my current position (a highly technical I.T. position beyond what I've done in the past, with no previous direct experience). The manager that interviewed me happened to be a GA pilot. He saw Private Pilot with Instrument Rating on it, and told the hiring manager (he told me this later, after I was hired): "I can't speak to his technical skills regarding this position, but I can tell you this... he has passed the FAA's rigorous standards to fly an airplane in the clouds solely by reference to the airplane's instruments, and that tells me 3 things... 1) he can learn complex material and apply it; 2) he can multitask; and 3) he loves to learn."

I say LIST IT. Not under Job Experience (unless you were a Commercial Pilot), but under "Other Certifications/Training" or whatever you label that section.

I find it helpful. I do network and systems engineering, often in highly secure environments. When they ask about the flying qualification, I use it as a basis to discuss risk management, and usually end up saying that "flying is all about risk management, and I bet my life on my skills and judgement and come up winners - I can do just as good a job with your system."

Not that this is entirely on point (although I do intend to put it on my resume) but I've found that several times items in the "interests" categories tend to be conversation starters, and since they are things you are already interested in, you tend to be passionate and very knowledgeable. That usually comes across very well in interviews.

I can see Bill's point too - but I still plan to put that puppy on there. (NO JOKES ABOUT WHEN AM I FINISHING, THAT MEANS YOU ED).

(NO JOKES ABOUT WHEN AM I FINISHING, THAT MEANS YOU ED).

I have no idea what you are talking about. "Its" absurd that you would ever consider a statement like that to have "it's" owner be me!!!!

:rofl:

Comment deleted, you're just not worth the effort.

Hmm.. Okay? I didn't mean anything negative by my comment. Personally--I wouldn't want to work for a company that held a negative view towards my flying. I suppose putting it on my resume is a good filter for such. Aviation has been partly responsible for much of my career.

Last edited:
I have always included it in resumes and applications. It is a real opportunity to prove that you are capable of completing long term and demanding tasks, showing responsibility in equipment and peoples lives, as well as giving your resume a reason to "stand out" from the rest of the crowd. Sometimes, what makes you different from everyone else will count the most. And yes, if nothing else, it will strike up a good conversation.

I have all my certificates listed on my resume, I definitely think it helped me get my job!

Good luck with the interview, either way!

Comment deleted, you're just not worth the effort.

Kevin... ???? What the hell was that for? Not cool. :no:

As for the OP, I'd say heck yeah put it on. It'll make them remember you and can be a good conversation starter. Not to mention, maybe when there's short-distance travel required, you can get more done than the next guy in the same amount of time. That's relevant to nearly any job.

Putting "private pilot" on my resume helped me get my job!
They even let me spend all day doing aviation related stuff:goofy:

Probably the only reason I got my co-op at Rockwell was because I was a pilot. They were looking for someone to test avionics systems. I know nothing about electronics and was one of very very few aerospace engineers there. BUT I could read a flight display and knew how things were supposed to work.

I've put it on my resume, but to be honest I get more questions about playing Lacrosse in college than that I fly.

You played lacrosse in college? That's cool. I've only watched one lacrosse match (game?) in my life, the state high school championships in Indiana one year. What a great game!!!! I really enjoyed it.

Back to the thread.

<SNIP> Personally--I wouldn't want to work for a company that held a negative view towards my flying. I suppose putting it on my resume is a good filter for such. Aviation has been partly responsible for much of my career.

Jesse- you make a strong case there. I wouldn't expect most people to know or understand aviation, but I would like to see if the people I would be working with have open minds, this listing this accomplishment is one test for that. Better if they were pilots though....

Tony,

I'd put it under Hobbies and Interests (or some other such heading) along with hiking, photography and underwater basket weaving.

Just my 8.32 CFA

I put "Private Pilot" on my resume when responding to a Jeppesen ad for Oracle DBA - didn't even get a response. They have some serious issues in their IT department, I'm told ...

Back