HPN -> JYO route and DC area questions

dparter

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
David Parter
Hello everyone. Two semi-related questions:

1) There is the possibility that I will be flying from HPN (Westchester/White Plains, NY) to JYO (Leesburg, VA) in a few weeks. I will be flying in a DA-40, and plan to file IFR. What route(s) can I expect, what do I need to know?

2) I will be flying back to Madison with a friend, who will be in Columbia, MD. I have asked my friends who live near JYO about public transport for him to get to JYO, but if that doesn't work out.... where could/should I fly to where I can pick him up (that he can probably get to easily from Columbia via car, or public transportation)?

thanks for any advice,

--david

If you are flying IFR you shouldn't need to worry about the ADIZ because you will be talking to ATC the whole time.

Columbia to JYO - a taxi would probably cost 150 bucks if not more. That is it for public transport.

Columbia to FDK would be a little better, or GAI.

Make sure you take the required ADIZ course prior to going, if you haven't already.

According to fltplan.com, a popular route would be:

PARKE V457 LRP V143 MULRR AML

But be prepared for it to be whatever it will be.

Pick him up at Tipton, that's a short hop from Columbia. Getting from Columbia to Leesburg during the day on the ground is an expedition.

Columbia, MD? Closest airport is Tipton, MD (Ft. Meade). Nice strip. Be very careful, though, as it's wedged in between BWI and the Flight Restricted Zone. That's far easier than having your friend come to JYO.

It's a fairly short hop from FME to JYO. IFR is pretty easy between the two.

If it were me (and I have done it before - except using OKV instead of JYO), I'd choose to make the hop between the two by airplane. Especially on a weekday. And even more especially during rush hour.

Back