How's the AAA Defensive Driving Course?

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
My current accident-prevention course certificate expires next month, so I have to take another course if I want to keep getting the insurance discount. I usually do the online versions because it's rare for them to be offered in-person nearby to where I live.

I rotate the course providers because it's slightly less boring that way. But oddly enough, despite having taken so many of these courses that I've lost track of exactly how many, it doesn't appear that I've ever taken the AAA version, despite being a long-time member (and a Premiere one at that). That fact alone makes me inclined to take the AAA version because at least it won't be the same course I took 10 or 20 years ago.

I'm wondering if anyone here has taken the AAA course, and if so, how is it? Specifically, how boring is it compared to other online defensive driving courses?

The Boredom Rating is very important in New York because we're one of the states that requires that the courses be timed so you can't just click through them. I've also had times over the years when I had to call the provider to provide voice samples, presumably so you can't pay someone else to take the course for you. So choosing the least-boring course is very important.

Thanks.

Rich

I'm curious what the cost diff would be on that. Is it a $50 charge to save $10? Or would it be the other way around?

I took a AAA course a few decades ago when I was in the Navy. The most interesting thing I remember about it is that it was developed in the DC area and I recognized most of the places they showed. I don't recall it sucking.

“Accident prevention course certificate”....?

Is this some fresh east coast bureaucratic hell that I’ve never heard of? :)

Around here we call that “My driving record.” Hehehehe.

I'm curious what the cost diff would be on that. Is it a $50 charge to save $10? Or would it be the other way around?

I took a AAA course a few decades ago when I was in the Navy. The most interesting thing I remember about it is that it was developed in the DC area and I recognized most of the places they showed. I don't recall it sucking.

Saves me about $150.00 - $300.00 / year depending on how many cars I have registered.

Rich

“Accident prevention course certificate”....?

Is this some fresh east coast bureaucratic hell that I’ve never heard of? :)

Around here we call that “My driving record.” Hehehehe.

I'm pretty sure that's what they call the Defensive Driving Course on my insurance papers. I don't know if it's a New York thing or a USAA thing.

Rich

I'm pretty sure that's what they call the Defensive Driving Course on my insurance papers. I don't know if it's a New York thing or a USAA thing.

Hmm. Interesting.

Talked to a friend who’s old classic Honda was destroyed by a USAA customer just two days ago.

He said he can’t find a body shop to even quote it and not because of the age of the car. Because the shops tell him if he’s not the USAA customer, they’re such a pain to deal with for non-customers that they won’t bother quoting.

Found that interesting. Always have heard great things about USAA from customers. Apparently they keep the prices low by making it so hard to get paid on non-customer vehicles they have hit a shop level backlash here and nobody wants to work on his car.

It’s nothing fancy as classics go, just a 90’s vintage Accord.

Note for above: The Honda was destroyed months ago and he’s talked to multiple shops.

The phone call was two days ago when I talked to him.

Sentence was badly written.

Hmm. Interesting.

Talked to a friend who’s old classic Honda was destroyed by a USAA customer just two days ago.

He said he can’t find a body shop to even quote it and not because of the age of the car. Because the shops tell him if he’s not the USAA customer, they’re such a pain to deal with for non-customers that they won’t bother quoting.

Found that interesting. Always have heard great things about USAA from customers. Apparently they keep the prices low by making it so hard to get paid on non-customer vehicles they have hit a shop level backlash here and nobody wants to work on his car.

It’s nothing fancy as classics go, just a 90’s vintage Accord.

My understanding is that it's a very local thing because the local adjusters have a lot to do with how the claims get processed. A good, knowledgeable, and fair-minded adjuster makes life easier for all concerned.

Every so often I poll the local body shops to ask them if USAA is still one of the best companies to deal with around here. I like USAA, but I'm not married to them; so every other renewal I make the rounds of the local body shops and ask them if I should keep USAA. So far, they've all said yes. The others they like around here the last time I checked were Erie, Amica Mutual, and Liberty Mutual. Farmers and State Farm also got good grades.

But again, it's a very regional thing. My brother switched to Amica Mutual while he lived in New York because of how he was treated by them as the victim of an accident. But when he moved to Connecticut and had a claim, he was so disgusted with the way they processed it that as soon as it was settled, he switched companies. Similarly, my father curses and spits on the ground every time Liberty Mutual is mentioned because of an experience he had with them 40 or 50 years ago when we lived in Brooklyn, but the body shop guys around here like them.

Rich

Back