Howdy!

cyberfelt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
Hey everyone, my name is Dustin. I'm new to the forum, although I've been lurking a few months.

I'm a student pilot from Michigan, who's about 25 hours into my private pilot journey. I've been waiting on a medical for three months now, but I'm having a lot of fun getting up in the air with my instructor and learning new things.

I recently purchased a 1966 172 with a groovy blue interior, and have had a lot of fun soaring around the Mitten. Just this past weekend my instructor took my son up for a flight, and now he's hooked too!

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, and I look forward to getting to know you.

Attachments

• C172 Connor.jpg
    C172 Connor.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 117444444_10100824745231404_903026132167732570_n.jpg
    117444444_10100824745231404_903026132167732570_n.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 52
Welcome!! And just one tip...........Those shoulder harness straps feel a lot better if your shirt collar is flipped up. Plus it makes you look cool!!

Man, bought the aircraft before getting the medical or finishing the Private cert. Went in head-first!

Haha, my thinking was that if I bought the plane my wife wouldn't be able to tell me no! ;)

In all actuality, I was renting a plane a half-hour away for $80/hr dry. Me flying a few times a week added up, and when I did the math I had to look into purchasing a plane. I ended up with a very favorable financing offer and it just made sense to pull the trigger on the purchase. My instructor has been doing a few flights in it with new students, which I've been putting into a fund to improve the aircraft and do maintenance. I'm hoping it'll be with me a long time!

Welcome good luck in your endeavors.

Welcome aboard!

Whereabouts in Michigan are you located?

Those are some smart-lookin' wheel pants. Shiny!
Welcome, keep us updated!

Thanks for the kind words, everybody!

Welcome! Enjoy the forum, but take what you read here with a grain of salt. And a lick of lime. And a shot of tequila.

Glad to have you!

The second smartest thing I did with this plane is have my 11 year old son go up with my instructor. Now he wants to be a pilot when he grows up. Suddenly that desire to upgrade the avionics went from "unnecessary" according to the wife to "something we can work on doing a little bit at a time".

Only a little more work and I'll be flying around with a full glass cockpit! :D

The second smartest thing I did with this plane is have my 11 year old son go up with my instructor. Now he wants to be a pilot when he grows up. Suddenly that desire to upgrade the avionics went from "unnecessary" according to the wife to "something we can work on doing a little bit at a time".

Only a little more work and I'll be flying around with a full glass cockpit! :D

If he's healthy, go get him a 3rd class medical NOW. That way, if something pops up later, he'll be able to do Basic Med and fly anyway.

Hey everyone, my name is Dustin. I'm new to the forum, although I've been lurking a few months.

I'm a student pilot from Michigan, who's about 25 hours into my private pilot journey. I've been waiting on a medical for three months now, but I'm having a lot of fun getting up in the air with my instructor and learning new things.

I recently purchased a 1966 172 with a groovy blue interior, and have had a lot of fun soaring around the Mitten. Just this past weekend my instructor took my son up for a flight, and now he's hooked too!

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, and I look forward to getting to know you.
Welcome to POA. Great looking plane.

.... My instructor has been doing a few flights in it with new students, which I've been putting into a fund to improve the aircraft and do maintenance. I'm hoping it'll be with me a long time!
Welcome... there's lots of knowledgeable, experienced, helpful people here, and also people like me. Compared to most internet spaces, the signal to noise ratio here is pretty darn good.

Not to temper this greeting with weighty discussion, but I'm curious about the part of your post I quoted above. Assuming you're carrying insurance on your plane, are there any limitations re/ receiving compensation for letting someone else use the plane or for flight instruction for a student other than yourself? My CFI had approached me about wanting to lease my airplane for his flight school, but the insurance bump and other hassles made it an unattractive option for me to do any formal kind if ongoing leaseback; I decided I'd rather be able to fly my plane whenever I wanted to, save almost $4k on insurance, avoid the hassle of an LLC and another tax return prep and records, not expose my plane to the constant abuse trainers (might) get, etc...

If there's a safe, legal way for me to let him occasionally use my plane at a reasonable rate for a couple hours here or there as a substitute when one of his other planes is down for a 100-hour, I'd love to help him out, and it sounds like that's what you're doing....just an informal arrangement with your CFI. Have you discussed insurance and liability ramifications with him/her? Any advice for me?

We're working with an informal arrangement. That freedom to fly whenever I want is what I want. I don't want to give up control to someone else, so I won't initiate a leaseback. I know my instructor has a CFI policy for his students for a non-owned airplane, with $50,000 in hull coverage. I agree to let him fly my plane with students at a set rate, and if one of his students gets to solo, they're responsible for buying a non-owned insurance policy with $50,000 hull coverage as well.

I'm no insurance expert, but that's the arrangement that made the most sense for me. He's got a couple students he's working with, and I'm essentially socking that money away to cover my loan, maintenance, hangar, and such. My goal is to get to where I just pay for fuel out of my pocket. I'm getting there! :)

Midland....I'm guessing IKW?

I'm near Grand Rapids.

Yep! IKW is my home airport. Anywhere you recommend in the state to go check out?

OK, you made me look.
It appears that Sanford and Wixom lakes are still shown on the sectional. (I assume you recovered from the flooding...)
But, then, the dike near Point MouluIllee (south of ONZ) is different on the sectional and Detroit TAC and neither looks close to what is there now, so, yea, what does one expect.

Yep! IKW is my home airport. Anywhere you recommend in the state to go check out?

JXN - Airport Restaurant at the base of the control tower.
HTL - short walk to Spikehorn to eat
OEB - Prop Blast Cafe on the field (open soon after remodel)
Camp and hike North Fox Island (6Y3).
We have a fly in every Labor Day weekend in Sidnaw (6Y9).
Mackinac Island - bring a bike and ride into town or ride the island
Beaver Island, head into town with the courtesy car from Welke (6Y8) - or bring a bike. Shamrock has good food.
Ludington
Lakes of the North has a golf course right at the end of the runway.

Last edited:
OK, you made me look.
It appears that Sanford and Wixom lakes are still shown on the sectional. (I assume you recovered from the flooding...)
But, then, the dike near Point MouluIllee (south of ONZ) is different on the sectional and Detroit TAC and neither looks close to what is there now, so, yea, what does one expect.

Yeah, I'm just east of both lakes. They're pretty much kaput, and the dams are both destroyed. When we fly over them, you can see how much large debris went and got stuck there. It's insane.

Back