Howdy From Vegas

PoppaJimmy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jimmy
Hello All,

New member here. Haven't flown in a few years (logbook says 2005) because of personal finances but things are looking up. Have a deep ache to get back into it. Have PPL, Instrument and Multi. 290+ hrs w/ 120+ of that in Twins.

Thinking hard about buying because, a. I love to fly and, b. It's a buyers market and likely to remain so for awhile. I love Twins which is why I spent the bucks to get those hours. Actually did most of my instrument training in a Seneca. Got used to the workload and staying ahead of a twin.

Plan is to get back into lessons both on singles and twins and fly a lot while I look for an airplane. Probably a year or so away from being ready to buy.

Vegas is at 2200 ft and the weather ranges from mild to very hot and dry. Got some mountains (the Sierras) when going from Vegas to CA or CO or to property upstate. Also have family in OH, MO and friends and sometimes business in NY and FL (as well as CA). Most of the flying would not be so far East though. Don't honestly know how often I would fly that far (NY, FL) but definitely might visit my brother in MO. Would like to be able to carry myself plus 3-5 in comfort with lot's of gear. Am into all sorts of outdoor activities.

Have some ideas about an airplane (182, P58, Aztec, C310, T337, Duke) but not locked into anything. Been doing a lot of reading about the various costs, maintenance, flying characteristics, etc. By the time I'm ready to buy, I hope to have around 400 hrs with 200 Twin time.

Would love to hear from people about their thoughts, experiences, recommendations, etc. I'm not in a rush. 55 y/o, super healthy, fit and family lives a long time with vigorous health and mentality. I want to do things right and get an airplane I will be happy with for a long time.

Thanks for your time.

Be Well,

Jimmy

You cover quite a range of aircraft and capabilities in your list of potentials - tell us more about the typical mission you'll fly, we can dial-in your options for you. We can be exceptionally good at spending OPM (Other Peoples' Money)!

And, welcome to PoA!

Hello SCCutler,

Thanks for your reply. I am a professional musician which can mean lots of travel. passengers and gear, as well as a martial artist/outdoor entjusiast which can also mean lots of different places and gear. I have property in Northern NV, and am very seriously considering purchasing in Costa Rica. Both of these are very rural, relatively remote places. I have family and friends fairly well spread around the country.

There are times when I would be carrying several people and gear, either music equipment and or outdoor gear. There are others when it would be myself and possibly one other with some gear. Some of the missions could be quite long but probably most would be in the 3 - 4 hour range, one way. To a certain extent, this would depend on the airplane I chose.

I am aware that, never having owned an airplane, it is easy to underestimate all that goes into it. I have read that many people want more plane than they really need. On the other hand, it seems many people end up changing airplanes quite a lot until they find the one that genuinely fits their needs, and lifestyle. I completely realize that I am in not immune to these possibilities so, I am considering a very wide range right now since I am at the beginning stages of looking. This is also why I am seeking advice from those with real experience

All of the above is why I laid out that assortment of missions. In my dreams, I would find a versatile twin that could do all of those things and from which I wouldn't have to change a lot. I'm not a "plane" fanatic in the sense of wanting to try something for a while then exchange it for something new. I tend to get into something and stay with it for a long time.

Again, I'm not in a big rush. I have the sense that the market is going to remain in the buyer's favor for quite a while and want to get my hours a lot higher so that I have the appropriate experience and can realistically choose, afford, insure and maintain the best airplane for my needs.

Will happily supply any more info as needed. Thanks again for your comments.

Be well,

Jimmy

Last edited:
Pilot plus 4-5 pax, lots of musical and/or sporting equipment, hot and high home field conditions, 4 hour trips.
You, sir, need a mid-70's King Air C90.

If your a year away I'd say hold tight and re-evaluate in about 6-9 months a lot can change in that period of time. Certainly the Aztec is a twin that can haul a load and get in and out of unimproved strips. The 182 is awesome but might not carry what you need on the bigger hauls. The others I don't know so much about. BTW welcome to POA!

I've read that it sometimes takes people as much as a year to find a good airplane and a good deal even when they know what they want. Would you guys agree with that?

Regarding the King Air, I haven't really looked at Turbo Props. I have thought of them as beyond my abilities being so low on time as I am. Certainly, I am intimidated by them because I have no experience with them and no knowledge of how all that works. Perhaps you all can give me some guidance in that regard.

Regarding the Aztec, it is WAY up on my list. The later models seem very much like they might fulfill my mission. However, even the newest of them are 30 years old and my understanding is that most Aztecs are well used specifically because they were built to be workhorses. Also, I need to understand what the deal is with that overhead rudder crank thingy.

I would say that the top two in my current thinking are the Aztec and the Cessna 310. I keep reading the pros and cons of each. The thing that worries me most about the 310 is it's landing gear which, I gather, is not conducive to rougher landing strips. I certainly am nowhere near deciding. I'm really trying to learn. I will definitely try to fly both for several hours to get a real sense of what they're like.

I include the 182 because everyone on the planet speaks so highly of it. Also, just in case I am thinking too big by wanting a twin for my first airplane.

I'm just really beginning to learn about the Baron. The Duke, I just think is so cool looking! I saw one on the tarmac way back when I was getting my PPL. I got to get right up to it. I just thought it was the nicest looking plane ever. However, I read very conflicting opnions about it. I got to fly in a Navajo once. OMG! That might be my all time favorite but, again, I'm trying not to go after too much airplane for my needs and experience.

So, I hope I'm making some sense. I'm trying hard to think this through in advance and get opinions. It's entirely possible I'm missing something important. Many of you know far more than me. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Be Well,

Jimmy

It's not a twin and is probably too $$$, but a PC-12 would work. :)

Love the 182, but not for several people plus gear.

It's not a twin and is probably too $$$, but a PC-12 would work. :)

Love the 182, but not for several people plus gear.

PC 12 is definitely out of my price range. The 182 probably won't get my mission done but might be a good first ownership choice. I keep reviewing my likely usage and it comes up the same, music and outdoor activites with 3-5 people and gear. As you say, the 182 is just not going to get it done.

I know I have a large list of twins here (Aztec, C310, Baron, Duke, and even mentioned the Navojo!). They are all different and I'm trying to wrap my head around them. Most seem close to my mission and are in my budget range. I'm just trying to get ahead of the game so I can make a decent choice. Thanks for your input.

Be Well,

Jimmy

PC 12 is definitely out of my price range. The 182 probably won't get my mission done but might be a good first ownership choice. I keep reviewing my likely usage and it comes up the same, music and outdoor activites with 3-5 people and gear. As you say, the 182 is just not going to get it done.

The 182 won't, but some of the bigger Cessnas might - A 206 or better yet, a 207.

78066409.jpg

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?ohid=1120983&pid=78066409

If I had the money I would own one of these!

Attachments

• 208.jpg
    208.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 11
Forget the Duke. I love 'em too, but...

Navajo. It's like a mini airliner. Doesn't mind rough strips. Carries a lot.

Turbo Aztec is a good fall-back.

An older King Air is an interesting twist, but you'd probably get the 100hrs with safety pilot reqmt from insurance. Maybe 50hrs. Dunno for sure.

Twin commander 640, 840, 900 or 1000 with Garrett -10's might be perfect 300 KTAS 70 gallons/hour. King Airs 5 and 6 year items can be expensive (land gear overhaul etc) plus a phase check every 200 hours. There are many nice commanders on the market might google Eagle-Creek, they have several. If you go T-prop consider something with dash 10's , much higher TBO than PT6, good performance, good fuel burn. On many types including King Air B100.

http://www.aso.com/listings/spec/ViewAd.aspx?id=127428&listingType=true&IsInternal=True&dealerid=

Very "cheap" to insure. If you gear up nothing really happens to plane or engines.

Last edited:
Back