Howdy after a Hiatus

C. Kelley

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
C. Kelley
I have been lurking for a while here after a brief hiatus from posting a few years ago.

I was never a prolific poster, but I was able to chime in from time to time. Due to my work situation I cannot be as active in the forum or the pilots community as much as I would like to (I work over 100 hours/week for most of the year). I have learned a lot from the posters on this forum and usually the first place I turn when I have question is the search tool on this site.

Well good to have ya back. what keeps you on the job for 100 hrs per week?

Pesky turbines (power generating) and their tendency to wear out or fail.

I stay on the road most of the year at power plants and industrial sites, which makes it very hard to lead a normal life much less to find time to fly and keep up my proficiency. I am trying to work myself into a desk job so I can focus on my two expensive ventures...aviation and my new wife of two weeks :D

Welcome back.

As far as the "expensive ventures" go, a friend who made it to the upper eschelons of aviation used to joke that my priorities were out of order.

"Airplanes, Women, then Radios... In that order." (We are both Ham Radio/Tech guys.)

He went his way, and he's finally settled down with wife number 3 and flying one of the largest jets on the planet.

I did it all backwards, studied tech, ended up in IT with a good career (so far), still married to the lovely bride of my youth, and I fly a 182 on weekends.

Heh heh.

Which is the "better" life? That's for you to decide. ;)

Take care of the wife first to ward off AIDS... Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome. An insidious affliction that no major medical plan covers! :) :) :)

In my case, it paid off in spades. It was my wife who pushed me over the edge into aircraft co-ownership (with help from my co-owner's wife, a co-conspirator! ;) ) when I was hung up on the $ analysis in the spreadsheet.

But we both still get a laugh two decades later when we talk about that priorities list! :D

Welcome back. I have a friend on a jeep and dodge cummins boards who works on turbine power generators, too. He complains about the same hours, but what he doesn't complain about is the "off" time - some kind of odd shift work with long ON hours but followed by long OFF hours. Dirty dog is always out jeepin' during the week, rubbing our nose in it while we're cubicle-bound.

100 hours a week! That is a good way to get old fast. Take care of yourself.

Congrats on the new spouse. Get a couple laptops with cameras (or even smart phones) and download Skype. Set up dates while you're on the road. That'll help keep the matrimony matrimonial. Oh, and welcome back.

I have been lurking for a while here after a brief hiatus from posting a few years ago.

I was never a prolific poster, but I was able to chime in from time to time. Due to my work situation I cannot be as active in the forum or the pilots community as much as I would like to (I work over 100 hours/week for most of the year). I have learned a lot from the posters on this forum and usually the first place I turn when I have question is the search tool on this site.

What! Are you lazy or something? Why not work full time?:)

Serously though, it's good to have you on the forum.
Doc

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, my 'off time' is spent in my home office catching up on paperwork, cost tracking, reports etc. but at 40 hours per week. Usually in the summer and winter I get the office work, but this year has been strange. My new wife and I are making things work, but she is used to me being gone all the time. Three days after we started dating, I was sent to New York for nine months for training (where I also started and completed my PPL). I am working my way into an office job with a more regular schedule so I can actually plan things...like an instrument rating.

Thanks again!!

Back