How wrong is this idea?????

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
Just ordered an iPad mini. I'm planning on making it into an EFB/portable GPS and mounting it on my yoke. I have a mount that I use for my approach plates which has its surface covered with velcro. I have an old kneeboard to which I have added velcro to the back and I strip off the portable 496 I use to back up the 430W and then stick the plate on the yoke for the approach. My plan is to velcro the back of the iPad mini and use the same mount for it. My question is about heat. Will the mini get too hot with the velcro patch on the back and being stuck to the mount?? The mount is an old one I got back in the 90s with a Magellan Skyblazer GPS.

No, the only thing that causes these things to overheat is direct contact with the sun. Shouldn't be a problem mounted to the yoke because of the angle.

Should have added: Garmin Pilot or Foreflight??? I'm assuming the switchology in Pilot is the same as on other Garmin platforms so that would be a big plus, but while I know a few who use Foreflight and love it I know nothing about real world experience with Pilot.

Sac can make direct contact with the sun. He has really long arms. :)

Hahaha good point, direct contact with the sun would indeed cause the unit to overheat (and instantaneously vaporize.) direct sunlight contact can be problematic though.

Should have added: Garmin Pilot or Foreflight??? I'm assuming the switchology in Pilot is the same as on other Garmin platforms so that would be a big plus, but while I know a few who use Foreflight and love it I know nothing about real world experience with Pilot.

I don't have a nice panel mount GPS anymore so I'm actually using an iPad with Foreflight as my VFR GPS nav. And it works great. It displays charts and plates great too. The only thing another GPS nav app could do that is cooler is synthetic vision, which apparently Wing X does with an add in hardware module.

No, the only thing that causes these things to overheat is direct contact with the sun. Shouldn't be a problem mounted to the yoke because of the angle.

I think direct contact with the sun would cause problems for almost EVERYTHING. :wink2::D

Garmin has a somewhat annoying user interface that involves extra taps to get from place to place. Even if your brain "speaks Garmin" (and mine does), you'll find ForeFlight to be very intuitive. I use ForeFlight as my primary EFB app.

I own and use both, but with a definite preference for ForeFlight. Load both and try them for 30 days before deciding.

I don't have a nice panel mount GPS anymore so I'm actually using an iPad with Foreflight as my VFR GPS nav. And it works great. It displays charts and plates great too. The only thing another GPS nav app could do that is cooler is synthetic vision, which apparently Wing X does with an add in hardware module.

Synthetic vision for VFR? Why not use the real thing?!! :goofy:

My CFI was showing off one of those pad widgets, and claimed it could do weather as well. I asked him where the data was coming from. He had a hard time answering, but finally realized it was coming from cell phone towers. I asked him how much phone signal he thought he was getting at 11K feet.

My CFI was showing off one of those pad widgets, and claimed it could do weather as well. I asked him where the data was coming from. He had a hard time answering, but finally realized it was coming from cell phone towers. I asked him how much phone signal he thought he was getting at 11K feet.

Yeah, what little I have learned about these devices tells me that data sourcing is a paramount concern. If I can add a NexRad sat feed then fine, but I'm planning on a slow "baby step" conversion. I'm kinda anal about weather so I will need a really whiz bang app to replace the old school methods that have served me for years.

I think I just came up with a twist of an old phrase that I like...

"Those who don't know how their stuff works, are doomed to believe it."

Back