How would you fly to Halifax from New Jersey ?

Joegoersch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JoeGoersch
I'm thinking about flying, when it gets a little warmer from New Jersey to Halifax, CYHZ. I'm instrument rated and will be flying a Mooney. There seems to be this pesky thing called either the Atlantic Ocean or the Bay of Fundy in the way. The shortest reasonable route might be over Gran Manan Island which involves a 34 mile stretch over the water. At 9000 ft high, and a 10 to 1 glide, I'm not out of gliding range to land for more than 4 minutes or so. Flying direct from Provincetown would be more direct but involve a 240 mile over-water stretch, too much for my liking. Lastly flying way north to Moncton and then direct would be a safe over-land route, but much lengthier.

Just curious what route other people would choose. Private non-commercial flight...no flotation gear...

In summer I'd take option 1.... never ever ever option 3...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've flown NJ to SC via Cape May -> Rehoboth, then following the Cheaspeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel. Out of gliding range for a couple minutes usually on the first leg, but the second am always within range of the bridge. I do get nervous being that far out over water, but the reality is that the plane doesn't know it's over water. I'd go with the Gran Manan Island route personally. Floatation gear isn't going to help much that far north at any time of year unless you manage to inflate a raft and get in - water's always too cold for survival for long exposures.

Gran Manan was my thought too...of course, if clouds lower than 9000, gliding range would be diminished. We often fly over hostile terrain for a few minutes out of gliding options...

I'd go a little higher over gran and to that route.

KTEB CYSJ CONTINUE 40 nm on heading CCA7 CYHZ . minimal water crossing lots of alternates.

Back