how would one find out how much full is needed to travel the world

I'm assuming you mean fuel. Plan your route, let's call it 25,000 for an official circumnavigation. Take your block speed, I'll use 180kts, that gives me roughly 140 hrs, multiply that by block fuel consumption, I'll use 23gph, that's 3220 gallons, add 20% for headwinds, diversions and whatever as a margin and I round up to 3,875 gallons for a circumnavigation in my 310 making for a fuel budget of $40,000.

Travel the world could imply you would like to travel to every single point on the world. In that case you would need all of the fuel. Every last drop.

Re: how would one find out how much full is needed to travel the world

If you're asking that question, DONT DO IT.

If you cant already calculate fuel burn you shouldn't be flying a 50nm student solo x-country, let along trying to fly across the globe.

Dodo.jpg

Lol,it was just a curious question.
What's block speed.

Lol,it was just a curious question.
What's block speed.

Your average speed for a trip, in this case a full load of fuel, which includes climb, cruise, and descent since they happen at different speeds and fuel consumption numbers.

Thanks ihenning your very helpful.
How do I figure out how much fuel it will take as well as how long it will take.
Could you please show the maths.
Much appreciated.

Do not assume Avgas is available everywhere. Last year we were flying in Mozambique and only two airports in the country had it: Vilanculos/FQVL and Pemba/FQPB. These are 617nm apart and we flew between them in a near max gross C182P. It was a very long flight (about 6.5 hours) at the most efficient power setting we could do. We landed with 30-45min of fuel remaining.

I can only use avgas though can't I?

I was planning on getting some wing tip tanks fitted plus a ferry tank in the back to increase the range to around 3000 kilometres IM pretty sure.

I can only use avgas though can't I?

I was planning on getting some wing tip tanks fitted plus a ferry tank in the back to increase the range to around 3000 kilometres IM pretty sure.
Based on the questions you're asking, it's premature for you to be doing any planning. When you're ready to take on something like this, you will have plenty of questions but they won't include things like this; you'll be able to plan fuel and time without asking others how.

I have no plan on going for years they are just educational questions.

I have no plan on going for years they are just educational questions.
Question asking is good and please don't think I'm trying to discourage you from learning... I'm just suggesting that you're putting the cart before the horse. The questions you're asking and the motivation before them is kind of like asking "how do I hold my breath" in order to plan to become an Olympic diver... by the time you're anywhere near ready to be a diver, you'll have your breath-holding issues well worked out.

Better questions for you to be asking would be developed by, for example, reading the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK) and asking questions about things you don't understand. This information is of much more immediate value to you, while "how do I plan my fuel for an around-the-world trip" is pretty useless for now (and will come to you naturally well before you take that trip).

Based on the questions you're asking, it's premature for you to be doing any planning. When you're ready to take on something like this, you will have plenty of questions but they won't include things like this; you'll be able to plan fuel and time without asking others how.

THIS!

Heh.

A dream has to start somewhere, does it not?

Here is a guy, friend of mine, who has done a number of RTW ("'Round The World") flights. Website is old, but some interesting stuff about the plane.

http://friendshipflight.com/aircraft.htm

I routinely travel half the world. I make sure I get very full in the airline lounges.

For around a hundred dollars you can go to your local neighborhood airport flight school and take their ground school course. All your questions will be answered.

-John

Thanks ihenning your very helpful.
How do I figure out how much fuel it will take as well as how long it will take.
Could you please show the maths.
Much appreciated.

The math is as I showed in post number 2 above. For a Twin Comanche use 155kt and 17 gallons per hour. If one uses the 25,000nm for circumnavigation you divide that by the speed for your total hours of 162. Now multiply that by gallons per hour of 17 for 2754 gallons or 10,438 litres. For safe planning add 20% for head winds.

jaiden,

If your a young guy looking to learn how to become a pilot I would suggest you come clean. I'm certain everyone here would be willing to help you learn as long as you are honest with them.

If your actually a pilot with 750 hours of experience, I would suggest you go back and get some ground schooling. Without the basics of calculating fuel, you are risking your life.

jaiden writes like he's about 12, or english isn't his native language.

Either way, he shows that he's too ignorant to be a pilot.

Hell, I'm just an earthbound misfit and I know more than he does.

jaiden writes like he's about 12, or english isn't his native language.

Either way, he shows that he's too ignorant to be a pilot.

Hell, I'm just an earthbound misfit and I know more than he does.

Consider the possibility you may be correct as to his age, and likely are close. Why dis on a kid looking for information? Everyone always complaining about the decline of aviation and here you are running off a kid. Australia is known for kids running off on adventures solo and seeing the world. I'd rather see him do it in a plane than on a sailboat.

Last edited:
Consider the possibility you may be correct as to his age, and likely are close. Why dis on a kid looking for information? Everyone always complaining about the decline of aviation and here you are running off a kid. Australia is known for kids running off on adventures solo and seeing the world. I'd rather see him do it in a plane than on a sailboat.
:yes:

Because he's a liar.

750hrs PPL.....:rofl:

keep in mind the FARs state you must have enough fuel to circumnavigate the world and have 30 minutes of fuel remaining for a VFR flight.

this is a legit and discussion opening question. what is wrong with you people?
A 750 hour pilot who claims to have time in single and Multi-engine is asking how much fuel he would need to fly an airplane for a given distance? You think that is legit?

Hmmm. This one is probably properly noted for lying. Another poster to PoA (long time poster) lies and no comments to their threads?
Longtime liars tend to get ignored after a while. People get tired of pointing out the lies.

A 750 hour pilot who claims to have time in single and Multi-engine is asking how much fuel he would need to fly an airplane for a given distance? You think that is legit?

The question, not the guy. Who cares if he claims to be an astronaut. I just think the question invites interesting conversation, but then people start talking everything except avation.

Back