How would a pilot go to do this?

Alec Stelloh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Alec
Hey all I was wondering how would a pilot go about getting certified to fly somthing along the lines of a MINI HI-MAX (Shown Below)
http://www.eaa1311.org/newsletter_photos/090101_hi-max_sm.jpg

For example I have my PPL and only have flown a Cessna 150/152.
What would I have to do to be able to pilot this fun little machine.
The only thing that comes to my head is get a tailwheel rating.

Thanks
Alec Stelloh

There is no tailwheel rating, there is an endorsement in your logbook.
And from what I heard it takes many hours (7-12) to get one because of insurance requirements and generally taildragger offers unique challenges.

Yes I ment endorsment! haha And yes 7-12 hours is about right I have been talking to a local instructor about getting it done just gotta get the cash now.

The biggest obstacle will be finding a tailwheel plane in which to receive your tailwheel training and obtain the tailwheel endorsement. It's harder and harder to find operators with tailwheel planes in which they give training. I can't tell if that Mini-Max thing is a 1-seater or a 2-seater, but even if it has two seats, for many reasons, many instructors decline the opportunity to give training in Experimental category aircraft, especially very small ones like this. Thus, the next obstacle will be transitioning from the aircraft in which you do your tailwheel training to a probably solo first flight in the Mini-Max. You might check with the folks who developed this thing and ask what type of Standard category TW airplane best emulates it, and try to get your tailwheel training in that type.

for many reasons, many instructors decline the opportunity to give training in Experimental category aircraft, especially very small ones like this.

So, are you suggesting there may be some demand if I were to get a SP instructor ticket?

Yes I have been talking to the guys in Harford about tailwheel in their J3 and thats where ill most likely be doing the endorsement. Yes the Mini-Max and Hi-Max are 1 seat aircraft thats why I am wondering how would I go about getting checked out for a such plane.

you get your tailwheel endorsement and some experience, then have a long talk with someone with experience in type about handling characteristics. Read everything you can find about the type, spend a bunch of time in the seat getting comfortable and learning the layout, and then you go fly.

single seat flying is some of the most fun i've had.

So, are you suggesting there may be some demand if I were to get a SP instructor ticket?
I'm sure there is some demand for TW training in LSA's. The real question is whether the insurance cost on a TW LSA used for training would allow rental at a rate people would pay.

Back