How was the turnout at OSH?

you mean 500,000-600,000 in "ticket" sales. I'm quite sure some of the same people went multiple days.:goofy:

Even if that were the case, and every single person went every single day, you're talking about 100,000 people going 5-6 days. Still much higher than the 30,000 someone else brought up.

Not if, but when we solve the fuel problem ... be it mogas or some other method to get the price down ... we will see a great resurgence in GA. Or when electrics finally come on line with something approximating cross country capability.

Jim

I hope so..

Even if that were the case, and every single person went every single day, you're talking about 100,000 people going 5-6 days. Still much higher than the 30,000 someone else brought up.

According to all of the sites I have been on so far. Turnout has been better than last year and that is a good thing. They are predicting 550,000 people.

Sources:

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-...venture-opens-strong-attendance-more-aircraft

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/ea...rventure-oshkosh/07-26-2015-a-tremendous-week

It really comes down to ticket sales at the end of the day. Money coming in is the determining factor on how well the event does and if they can continue to do it every year. Can't wait until Airventure 2016! I will be there!

Last edited:
I know it's early,

But does anyone have any advice on how to go to Airventure flying commercial? Unless I can hitch a ride here from Florida which would be great!!

Hotels I noticed jump in price around that time. a 2 star hotel goes up to 400 dollars a night! :yikes:

When do they announce the days for next season?

As usual thanks for your input!

I know it's early,

But does anyone have any advice on how to go to Airventure flying commercial? Unless I can hitch a ride here from Florida which would be great!!

Hotels I noticed jump in price around that time. a 2 star hotel goes up to 400 dollars a night! :yikes:

We airline up from S Florida into MKE and then drive up. Easy drive.

Our routine is to rent a house from a local, and then split it with other friends as they come and go for the week. The house is $300 a night and has four bedrooms plus a furnished basement. Much better situation than the hotels. Been there done that.

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/ea.../2013-08-29-airventure-dates-set-through-2020

I know it's early,

The next two or three show dates are already posted on the bottom of airventure.org.

Most coming commercial seem to fly to MKE, ORD/MDW, or maybe GRB and rent a car or ride up with friends. They have a ride share board to help match people up.

We airline up from S Florida into MKE and then drive up. Easy drive.

Our routine is to rent a house from a local, and then split it with other friends as they come and go for the week. The house is $300 a night and has four bedrooms plus a furnished basement. Much better situation than the hotels. Been there done that.

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/ea.../2013-08-29-airventure-dates-set-through-2020
Over the last 33 years, I have attended OSH in every way imaginable, from motorcycles to pop up campers, to renting people's homes and tenting in back yards.

Nothing compares to staying on the grounds. Nothing.

To the OP, do what you must to attend, but try your best to hook up with someone in the North 40 (or any airplane camping area) so you can get the full OSH experience.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I know it's early,

Our deal is to fly into MKE and rent a car. This year we stayed in Germantown at the Country Inn & Suites. It is 59 miles exit to exit to Air Venture.

1992: Flew into FLD and stayed in dorms
1993,1994: Camped with plane in North 40.
1995-2001: Camped with plane in Vintage
2002: Drove up and camped in Scholler with our EAA chapter
2003: Drove up and camped in the woods behind the hangar cafe
2004: Parked the plane in "Don's Choice" and camped in the woods.
2005-present: Parked the plane in the Vintage volunteer row and camped roughly behind it.

Despite the people who run this board it's not "Air Venture" but "Airventure" nor is it "Osh Kosh", it's "Oshkosh" (unless you're from Wisconsin and then it's "The EAA").

This was my first year at OSH and I have to say attendance may have been up, but the whole place felt like a retirement home. The amount of old people was staggering! I also have to say the type specific fly-ins i.e B2OSH, Mooney to OSH felt VERY cliquey and camping next to one of them made us feel a bit left out of having good neighbors.

My favorite part of OSH was the exhibitors (and night airshow), but I probably wont be back until I own my own plane.

No offense to the older population but I think GA needs a younger base.

Over the last 33 years, I have attended OSH in every way imaginable, from motorcycles to pop up campers, to renting people's homes and tenting in back yards.

Nothing compares to staying on the grounds. Nothing.

To the OP, do what you must to attend, but try your best to hook up with someone in the North 40 (or any airplane camping area) so you can get the full OSH experience.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep, I always had a good time and spot in Vintage Camping. One advantage to old planes is you get a better camping location at OSH.:D When I had the 310 there I had one of the best spots in the show, right at the end of where the 195s were right by where all the show planes enter and exit the taxiway, and right where everyone big would be lifting off using 36L. Nice only being a 5 minute walk from the main show apron.:D;)

1992: Flew into FLD and stayed in dorms
1993,1994: Camped with plane in North 40.
1995-2001: Camped with plane in Vintage
2002: Drove up and camped in Scholler with our EAA chapter
2003: Drove up and camped in the woods behind the hangar cafe
2004: Parked the plane in "Don's Choice" and camped in the woods.
2005-present: Parked the plane in the Vintage volunteer row and camped roughly behind it.

Despite the people who run this board it's not "Air Venture" but "Airventure" nor is it "Osh Kosh", it's "Oshkosh" (unless you're from Wisconsin and then it's "The EAA").

Or AirVenture as the EAA prefers. :D

This was my first year at OSH and I have to say attendance may have been up, but the whole place felt like a retirement home. The amount of old people was staggering! I also have to say the type specific fly-ins i.e B2OSH, Mooney to OSH felt VERY cliquey and camping next to one of them made us feel a bit left out of having good neighbors.

My favorite part of OSH was the exhibitors (and night airshow), but I probably wont be back until I own my own plane.

You're shouting at the rain. The people who are interested are the people who come. If the AARP contingent didn't come, there wouldn't be a show.

Total bummer! We're younger, as well, and camped in the B2OSH area and yes, it was cliquey, but we still were able to speak to a few people. If you decide to come next year, make sure you shoot me a message and we will start our own clique. I didn't find it too old of a crowd.... definitely the over 50's were the dominant demographic, but it wasn't quite geriatric level. I found that there were much more men than women attending, but then again, I guess aviation is a male-dominated thing.

We may even let the PoA crew hang with us.

Last edited:
I would have been surprised if they weren't cliquey. They were participating in a separate event. One that they had to jump through hoops to participate in, which builds a sort of camaraderie. Not to mention that certain aircraft attract a certain kind of "Grey Poupon" personality.

Feel free to take the recruiting lead. We're not trying to keep flying to ourselves. The "older population" has been trying to get younger people interested for like, forever. We haven't had much luck.

The type groups do tend to close off a bit, but really they're not closed... if you walked in and struck up a conversation, they'd be friendly. Well, maybe not the B2O guys... Bwahaha... ;)

You're shouting at the rain. The people who are interested are the people who come. If the AARP contingent didn't come, there wouldn't be a show.

The people who come have the disposable income and the time to do so. Plenty of young pilots I know were a) working, b) working, or c) working and don't have any real vacation time to speak of anyway, even if they weren't working.

Feel free to take the recruiting lead. We're not trying to keep flying to ourselves. The "older population" has been trying to get younger people interested for like, forever. We haven't had much luck.

Saw lots of younger kids there, all the way up to teen years, with parents. Much more of that in Scholler than North 40. Then the kids get older, get lives, and get busy, and move somewhere chasing jobs, and come back when they're stable and in their late 30's or 40's if they're lucky, 50's if they have to work at it a while. Totally normal for a hobby show.

Our own DW was busy, as were the kids of a couple of friends here in Denver who are flying the pipeline gigs and building time... DW will probably figure out how to stop in sooner, but the other kids won't be thinking about attending OSH for another 15-20 years.

What's funny is that I thought this was the youngest crowd I've seen at Oshkosh. Mary and I were FINALLY not the "young kids" at the fly in.

General Aviation is a cliquish community. I've lost track of how many times I've walked into an FBO or flight school and been totally ignored, or even had employees see me and react by running and hiding!

General Aviation is a cliquish community. I've lost track of how many times I've walked into an FBO or flight school and been totally ignored, or even had employees see me and react by running and hiding!
And it's a man's world, which turns off a lot of women .

This trip was typical. Mary taxies in, hops up on the wing of our RV-8 -- and the line guys ask me if we want fuel as I hoist myself out of the back cockpit. This happens all the time, even when she is clearly PIC.

That said, we saw a lot of young women pilots at OSH. That's a very good sign for the future.

It was better last year with the T-birds, lots of kids on the T-bird days, but the foot traffic was still pretty young. The airplane owners themselves always tend to be a bit older because you usually don't have much disposable income right out of school or when raising a young family.

I was there from Saturday through Saturday and enjoyed all of it.

I don't mind the "off" vendors. I simply don't stop at them.

I did have to check out the gas trailer booth in hangar D I think it was(more than once). ;)

I was there from Saturday through Saturday and enjoyed all of it.

I don't mind the "off" vendors. I simply don't stop at them.

I did have to check out the gas trailer booth in hangar D I think it was(more than once). ;)

:needpics::needpics:

LOL! Sorry, I didn't get one. IMO the prettiest booth girl on the grounds.

Im not trying to start anything..but I think he is calling you old.:D
Ya think? lol

Although it's true that I'm not getting any younger, at age 56 I am still often the "young guy" in a group of pilots, sad but true.

At OSH this year, this was happily not the case.

You should really shave your legs when you wear that sun dress.

Back