How tough are Cessnas? Watch some rough landing areas they can go to.

motoadve

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
motoadve
I get impressed and how tough Cessnas are, the 182 and 170B I fly have mods for the backcountry, those planes perform and can take a beating without issues at all, here I show some very rough landing areas, big rocks, dry mud, uneven surfaces, enjoy!

those planes perform and can take a beating without issues at all,
No airplane is invincible or immortal. Just like our bodies, hard use will result in problems later on. As a mechanic I have found cracks at the bottom of the aft doorposts. Rough ground does that. Landing gear mountings will suffer. The 170's tailwheel mounting area on the tailcone cracks. Cessna taildraggers suffer loosened elevator balance horns and broken balance weights. The wing struts have been known to crack through the attach lug rivet holes. I found one like that on a 180 floatplane. The nosegear mountings on all but the 150 were never designed for rough strips, and the mounting bracketry can work loose. A hard landing can buckle the firewall and internal tunnel structure. Various bulkheads in the tailcone crack, often from rough handling. The horizontal stab and elevator bottom skins and leading edges get beat up by rocks thrown up by the prop and wheels. The prop itself gets chewed up by rocks, and if those nicks aren't addressed, the prop blade can crack. If you lose a big enough chunk of blade, the vibration could tear the engine off the airplane, and now it won't even glide. CG is way aft.

None of this is cheap to fix. It's fine if you own the airplane, but when it comes to resale time you could find that the airplane has lost much of its value when the prebuy finds so many cracked and loosened components.

When I was young I was lifting far too much weight at work, often well over 200 pounds at a time. The older guys told me I would wreck my back. I told them that I didn't feel anything. I was strong. And stupid. Now I have constant pain from the arthritis caused by the wear on those joints in my back and hips. The old guys were right.

Cessna engineers didn't design their airplanes for extreme operations. They were aimed at normal operations, on paved or at least improved dirt/grass/gravel. Sure, there are mods to beef up this or that, but strengthening one area can transfer the damaging loads to weaker adjacent areas, and stuff suffers anyway.

I like the idea of extreme bush ops. But I sure wouldn't use a Cessna for most of them. If I did, it would be a 185, and even then one has to expect some wear and tear, and landing on sizeable rocks on a gravel bar is going to do some damage. I would be inspecting the gear legs and axles regularly. Those axles are only aluminum, and they are at the roughest end of all that. A busted axle would be a bad deal.

Last edited:
If you want to admire the durability of the Cessna airframe? Look at floatplanes. Water is hard and there’s no suspension to soften the jarring. Next, or maybe worse, is skiplane ops. My own plane has done them all and big tires on rocks and hummocks are child’s play compared to ski ops. Lateral loads, hidden drifts and logs, frozen snowmobile tracks… Skis are hard on airplanes.

No airplane is invincible or immortal. ... I would be inspecting the gear legs and axles regularly. Those axles are only aluminum, and they are at the roughest end of all that. A busted axle would be a bad deal.
I believe they are made of steel, though someone did make titanium versions for some uses.
Aluminum would be a poor choice for an axle.

If you want to admire the durability of the Cessna airframe? Look at floatplanes. Water is hard and there’s no suspension to soften the jarring. Next, or maybe worse, is skiplane ops. My own plane has done them all and big tires on rocks and hummocks are child’s play compared to ski ops. Lateral loads, hidden drifts and logs, frozen snowmobile tracks… Skis are hard on airplanes.
I found a lot of damage in a 180 floatplane that had time on the salt chuck. Besides corrosion, there was cracking in plenty of places. When I took my floatplane training, step-taxiing across a chop would get those wingtips flexing up and down three inches, not something you ever see in other normal ops. Those wings are stiff and such flexing is asking for fatigue. The strut cracking is an indication of it. Smoking rivets on the wing is another.

The 206 has a habit of cracking its top wing skins right over the strut attach point, the place where the spar flexes the most. The skin is part of the wing's strength, and when the spar is flexing up and down, it is alternately buckling and stretching the skin in that spot. It fatigues real quick.

The owner is responsible for the airworthiness of his airplane. If he chooses to do rough stuff with it, it's on him. It's when some unsuspecting buyer (or cheap buyer that won't pay for a good prebuy) gets hung with it that I get annoyed. Seen too much of that.

And I sure wouldn't make videos telling pilots that Cessnas are tough and can take it. There are already too many such fables on YouTube.

Last edited:
I believe they are made of steel, though someone did make titanium versions for some uses.
Aluminum would be a poor choice for an axle.
From the Aircraft Spruce website, on their replacement axles:

For use on flat spring landing gear, Cessna models 170, 172, 180, 182, 185 and 206. It is highly recommended to replace aluminum axles with these much stronger Steel or Titanium axles when operating on rough conditions, with larger wheels or on skis.

If the OEM axles were 7075 aluminum, they would be nearly as strong as a 4130 steel axle. 7075-T6 is around 78ksi, IIRC, and 4130 is around 90ksi. The thicker axle wall would make it as strong, but not as fatigue-resistant.

Back