How to use Aspen / GNS-430W / STEC 55x

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
I'm really struggling with these. Reading the docs for each doesn't really help understand how they play together.

In yesterday's flight, I couldn't get the STEC to work in NAV mode. I had a D-> set in the 430 and when I hit NAV, NAV gpss FAIL would come up on the annunciator. But flying the apen's heading bug worked just fine, and following a VOR worked just fine. Yes, I did switch the 430 to gps.

Today, NAV worked fine, but when I tried to use the heading bug, it would go into a right turn every time. I tried everything and couldn't get it to fly a heading.

Any suggestions on those problems, or how the hell to learn these systems would be appreciated.

Salty-

In the 182 I fly, it has an STEC-50 along with a GTN 650 and G5. The STEC really only works correctly if you leave it in heading mode. If you put it in NAV mode, it will do weird stuff. Then on the G5 I select ether Heading mode or GPSS. Tracks the GPS course perfectly, anticipates turns, using GPSS. In heading mode it follows the bug perfectly too.

It's been a long time since I flew the 55 but buttonology and sequence are very important from what I remember. They are good autopilots. Probably time to find an instructor, especially if you are planning to go into the clouds.

Ok, today's flight I figured it out. Both the STEC and the aspen can follow the gps. To allow the aspen to control the stec, you put the STEC in heading mode. If the Aspen is in gpss mode, it will send nav data to the STEC to follow the magenta line. If the Aspen is not in gpss mode, it will follow the heading bug. Apparently, on flight one, I had gpss off on the aspen, and on flight two, I had gpss on. Today I was able to switch back and forth at will and everything worked as expected.

Footnote: The aspen GPSS is MUCH better at capturing and following a track than the STEC is.

Things I still have to figure out:

1. How to get it to fly an approach.
  2. How to get it to capture an altitude
  3. How to use the preselect

In case you needed a reason to fly the new toy.

I have the Aspen and a Stec 60-2

You can fly with the HDG only on the Stec or if you want to follow the magenta line select the GPSS on the Aspen. I see you figured that out.

To arm the automatic glideslope (GS) capture function, the following conditions must be met:
1. NAV receiver must be tuned to the appropriate frequency.
2. The glideslope signal must be valid; no flag.
3. The autopilot must be in NAV/APR/ ALT modes.

When you are shooting an approach you can be on HDG or GPSS. Do not select NAV on the Stec until turning final and on course. The aircraft must be 60% or more below the GS centerline during the approach to the intercept point, and within 50% needle deviation of the localizer centerline at the point of intercept, usually the outer marker.

I do not have preselect for altitude so not familiar with that.

I recommend the manual, Stec is pretty easy to follow and it does a great job.

Back