How to tell a buyer to beat it...

TazzyTazzy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mitch
<vent>
Sold my motorcycle back in September to a seemingly nice gentlemen who lives in the Bay Area. It was a BMW R1200RT, so not an el' cheapo bike but not the tops. This isn't the first motorcycle I've sold, but yet, this is the only one I've ever had someone keep calling me. I wrote the sale up as "used, no warranty"....as to be expected and he didn't even comment on that.

The first time, he dropped the bike. He asked if there's anything he should do before riding again. After laughing to myself, I said no. He said he came to a stop, and put his foot down in mud. So...Not sure why he's riding a 110% street bike in mud, but to each their own.

The second time, he's called about what oil to use on oil changes. I'm guess he can't Google.

Anyways, about every 3 weeks, he calls me up asking for something or how to do something or whatever. Well. Now he's calling about an alarm system I installed on the bike. He called me on Monday, left a voicemail. On my voicemail, I clearly state that I don't check my voicemail. I finally checked it today, had 12 voicemails from various people - people don't listen I guess.

Now he's moaning that the alarm system I installed isn't functioning properly. Apparently, in the mean time, he ordered a BMW alarm system remote control from the dealer...the alarm system is not BMW and I never stated it was and the remote I gave him doesn't say BMW. So, now he's complaining that I should reimburse him for the cost of the BMW remote since the existing remote doesn't work. I asked if he has the new BMW remote, he said no and that the dealer will have it next week. I just mentioned that since you have haven't taken ownership of the remote, you should be able to a refund...'Go call them now and cancel it!' Arggg.

As nicely as I could, I said that I won't be paying for the remote. I told him where the alarm is located (once again) and quick steps on how to remove the alarm system.

I'm generally an easy going guy, get along with anyone, and do whatever it takes to make whatever right.

Thanks for letting me vent. Probably going to just add to my block list, yes, I know passive aggressive. But, meh... \/\/uteva
</vent>

Ignore him he will go away, it always amazes me that people will call you and complain that something does not work weeks later and expect you to pay for it, tell him no if nothing else but ignoring them works well.

Next time he calls, tell him you are so glad he called because you have been wanting to talk to him about an exciting multi-level marketing opportunity. :goofy:

If you're not a dealership doing this for a living, I would've stopped answering his phone calls after the check cleared.. And if you are a dealer, make sure he knows your hourly rate next time he has a problem. :D

I recently sold a 1992 Saab 900 to a guy from maine. His had completely rusted out and he wanted to replace it with a similar car.

It was a lot of work to sell it as he was from out of state and I had to send him tons of pics and spend maybe 1-2 hours on the phone talking about the car.

He showed up, test drove it, bought it cash and I signed the title over to him. He called several times after that, to the point it became annoying. I mean he would call and ask really dumb questions. Then he kept inviting me to his lakehouse in maine.

Anyway ol dip**** called me up one day, flaming mad because he drove the car out to Nevada and it overheated without him noticing, blowing a coolant hose off. I hung up and never answered another call.

Last edited:
Mitch,

I think you need to tell him in words he'll understand;

GTF off my phone.

Ehh, I'd just tell the guy in a mostly-polite but direct manner that he should just direct his questions to a BMW motorcycle forum online, or the BMW dealer.

If you're not a dealership doing this for a living, I would've stopped answering his phone calls after the check cleared.. And if you are a dealer, make sure he knows your hourly rate next time he has a problem. :D

Nope, not a dealer. I don't do sales. He paid cash, as far I am concerned, I'm done with him after I got cash and we signed the bill of sale and the title transfer.

There. Added to the block list. He's now the second person. :)

Send him an invoice for your consultation services. He will only call one more time to ***** you can tell him you will waive the fee if he doesn't call any more. Make sure the fee is high enough that he doesn't pay and keep calling. and if he does, at least you get paid.

Nope, not a dealer. I don't do sales. He paid cash, as far I am concerned, I'm done with him after I got cash and we signed the bill of sale and the title transfer.

There. Added to the block list. He's now the second person. :)
That should work - unless he shows up at your place...

That should work - unless he shows up at your place...

Still waiting for the first person to show up that I blocked. Was an Ambercrombie model and much easier on the eyes....just not into older gentlemen...no mater how nice they are! :goofy:

Send him a bill for your time...AS IS, WHERE IS, let the buyer beware...

BTW, by returning his calls, and taking his calls and helping him, in CA you've maybe just got yourself into an implied warranty situation, even though you wrote as is on the sale docs. Once you start helping him after the fact, you negate what you wrote. Should have told him not to contact you the first time, but - too late now.

I found this out the hard way on a 18YO truck I sold 'as is' in CA before. Once I helped him fix the brakes after the fact, I found out I was on the hook for making sure the brakes worked right, and warned that the rest of the truck was now my responsibility too. Yuch.

Stop being nice!!!L

This.

This was a hard lesson for me to learn -- which people to smack down and keep out of your life. Takey takey people are some of the worst, because there is no satiation point. They think they've bought a friend and mentor along with a doodad.

I've also expunged empty sales niceties from my vocabulary like "hit me up if you have any trouble" or "let me know how it works out for ya" or "im certain it will give you years of problem-free service" :mad2:

Now it's mostly "good luck with it" and squawk 7600

I make it clear early on in all of my sales, whether on Ebay or Craigslist that I offer NO SUPPORT. Once the sale is final, they should educate themselves. I've had to remind a few buyers of that and they reluctantly remember and back off.

I sold a house 10 years ago. Buyer still calls and ask strange questions about once a year.

After you make the deal,the amount of money
The buyer beats you down is proportional to the amount of service you may give the buyer. Buyer beware.

There are certain buyers that will wear you out on every little thing they can think of and others that understand what as-is means. Being in the business, I can tell you it doesn't matter if it's a $20,000 car or a $2,000 car! I've sold people cars that had AS-IS stamped in red ink across the paperwork and had them sign that they understand the vehicle needs repairs, they still *****! :mad2:
That being said, I did email the former pilot of my Conquest and ask him a couple questions, but mostly for information, not to repair anything. :D

Same deal with the last airplane I sold.
Finally e-mailed him, I'm busy, Goodbye!
Seemed to work, so far.
Dave

I usually play dumb. "I don't know how that works, try asking the dealer or find a forum. That's where I always got my answers from."

Maybe he just wants a friend

I bought my sofabed from such a babe that I couldn't resist emailing her to tell her how nice it looked in my living room. After that I stopped though, because I figured I'd better not overdo it :redface:

Back