How to study for plt codes?

Monpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Monpilot
I passed my ifr written and am now going over th plt codes I missed in anticipation for the oral.

When looking up the codes I get general categories such as pitot system or unusual attitudes and others.

I vaguely recall the questions I missed but does that matter? Do I have to basically memorize all the information related to the categories for the oral?

Your instructor must review the topics you missed questions on and endorse you before the checkride.

The PLT code is just going to tell you the general area that you missed. But not the specific. As James said, you need to actually understand it.

Get with your instructor for a review session.

No

And memorizing stuff won't help you, you need to understand it.
This man speaketh the truth.!
Under the new Airman Certification Standards, the DPE is going to integrate questioning in the missed areas so he can address the ACS tasks.

Get understanding! Rote doesn't cut in with a DPE...he'll see through that in a New York minute.

The written is just a FAA hoop, not much value; pass it and forget it - the FAA is culturally incapable of separating the trivial from the essential. Strive to understand the fundamentals, and study the areas you feel least confident about. Unless the examiner is a new-age weenie or a rigid old-dog, he/she will be looking to be assured you know what's needed to operate in the system, and how to fly safely in IMC. Do ask around abut the examiner - you're paying for the ride.

Just a horror story about trivia/weirdness - years ago an examiner asked me about runway marking colors;

I told him "Red and white".

"Yeah, but which is which? Are the letters red, or is the background red"?

"Beats me - doesn't really matter, does it? I mean, I know what they are when I see 'em"

He got real stone faced, and insisted it was "crucial"

Three things were apparent; he was a moron; if I couldn't tell him, he was gonna bust me; and, since it was clear I'd be guessing, he was still gonna pass me if I got it right (see moron reference).

I guessed right (think contrast) and lost his phone number.

Anyway, in aviation there is a lot of noise that can waste your time and attention, just basically trivia. I've heard guys arguing about pouring fuel samples back into tanks, pontificating over the definition of virga, getting endlessly wrapped around the axle concerning logging time in esoteric situations, etc. Know the systems of the airplane you fly, do a little self-study on your weaker areas, open up the AIM now and then. You'll figure out what is essential and what is noise.

I did pretty well on the written, but still missed a few. When I chatted with the DPE during the ground portion of the IFR checkride, it wasn't a grilling at all, but rather just a conversation. I learned a few things from him, and truly enjoyed "talking shop" about one of my favorite subjects. The ground-portion was over before I even knew it started ... I thought we were just chatting the whole time. I recommend you relax, and ask your own questions to your instructor ... look for fringe-cases or oddities and think through the answers yourself. That's how I learn anyways.

Thanks for the input!

My worry is more in line with Sundancers comment. I remember some of the questions I missed and they were in the same vein as the colors of the airport markings. I know the true answer when I experience the situation but if the DPE wants me to know the answer when out of context of being in the airplane then I may be in for a more difficult time. I know the answer when I see it but ask me when sitting at a table in the terminal and maybe I won't communicate that as well.

Plus my CFII says the new oral testing procedure doesn't allow the DPE wiggle room to provide any teaching during the conversation so I'm not sure if I'll have a flowing dialog like I did for my pilots oral exam.

If your insructor or others in the area know the dpe, make sure you spend some time going over a mock ride. The dpe I used for my IA has been around for a while and I studied the usual approaches he has you fly and did about 2 hrs with an instructor who knew what he asked and what he wanted to hear, along with all pts items. Good refresher and test cause if you can answer all that you will feel at ease on real test.

I remember a question from my oral:

What is the most important piece of information when planning an IFR flight?

Of course this is very subjective, and there are many things that could be considered important. Weather in general, weather at the destination, weather at the origin, weather along the route, fuel required, freezing level, etc. I never gave the answer she wanted. But, when I plan an IFR flight, I always remember what her answer was, and I always make a point to know that piece of information.

I remember a question from my oral:

What is the most important piece of information when planning an IFR flight?

Of course this is very subjective, and there are many things that could be considered important. Weather in general, weather at the destination, weather at the origin, weather along the route, fuel required, freezing level, etc. I never gave the answer she wanted. But, when I plan an IFR flight, I always remember what her answer was, and I always make a point to know that piece of information.

And what was it?

Back