How to "scratch that itch"

Sam Gordon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
SamG
Background...

About two years ago, I started my life long dream of getting my PPL. Work, family, and a little procrastination made it take a little longer than it really should. But, I was probably within a couple of months of going for my check ride.

Almost a year ago, I got fired from my job. At that point, because of money concerns, I stopped all training, and resigned from the local flying club (where I was renting the planes for my lessons).

I've got a new job, but at a significant pay cut (~15%). So I don't have a lot of extra money to join the flying club or do a lot of flying to stay/get current. My job also has me traveling multiple times a month (for some months). But my evenings are generally free.

Is there a way to still "scratch that itch", especially while on the road? I don't think I'll be getting to the point of doing a checkride any time soon, but it would be cool to go up (presumably with a CFI).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Did you take the written exam yet? That is good for 2 years, perhaps study for that and do the written and throw in a class every week. You could knock this out in as little as a month, but depends how often you work at it.

....Is there a way to still "scratch that itch", especially while on the road? I don't think I'll be getting to the point of doing a checkride any time soon, but it would be cool to go up (presumably with a CFI).

you can rent a plane with a cfi anywhere, anytime. you don't even have to be training to do this. find a place wherever you are, tell them you want to rent a plane with a cfi just for funsies, itch scratched.

I know this doesn’t answer your question but it reminds me. I was lucky to have the savings and got my PPL while I was laid off from work. I’m not sure I’d have had the time to train while I was working full time.

You might see if any flight schools near you have an LSA. You likely already have enough hours to get your Sport Pilot ticket. Get that and itch scratching will become easy.
+1 sport pilot is really good. Yes they are real airplanes. And then when gas goes to $10/gallon you’ll still be flying.

And then when gas goes to $10/gallon you’ll still be flying.

Yeah, and they said that about $5 per gallon and about $2 per gallon. But people keep flying.

Fuel cost is a small part of the cost of ownership.

Hi Sam,

I was in a similar situation. I travelled a ton, but I wanted to do some flying. Combining it with all the travel was a huge advantage.

I still fly airplanes but the decade or so flying paragliders had a much higher fun per dollar ratio.

Find a school near you or make it a learning vacation for a few weeks in Salt Lake City or Santa Barbara.

I wrote about it for Aviation Week and this video accompanied the article:

Flight simulator to stay current (x-plane for example)? Although upfront investment can be steep.

Back