How to (Safely) Decrease Preflight Time?

The most accurate visual inspection of tire pressure for me is to look at the sides from directly above. If the bottom is bulged more than the top, the tire pressure is probably low. If your own plane, you probably know what optimum pressure looks like.

The most accurate visual inspection of tire pressure for me is to look at the sides from directly above. If the bottom is bulged more than the top, the tire pressure is probably low. If your own plane, you probably know what optimum pressure looks like.

GREAT TIP! I wonder if that method works when the aircraft is on grass as well as pavement?

OP here with a quick update for everyone.
I have flown since I initially asked the question in the title of this post. I now feel like I do more of a "flow", if that makes sense. Also, I recently flew with another pilot and we did the preflight together and THAT was FAST!
For solo flying, I now go straight to the FBO and use the restroom and dispatch the plane. I can always UNdispatch it if the tach is wrong. Next, I use the restroom and get an extra paper towel (for oil check). Once at the plane, I do fuel once the interior part of the checklist is complete. Using this method, I was able to preflight a C150 in about 20 minutes, which is acceptable to me.

Thanks again for all the tips everyone gave!
Fly your best.

Questions like this imply, to me, that your either bored to death, killing time on employers time or both.
Jimmy,
You couldn't be more wrong. By the way, these sort of responses make me not want to ask any question on this forum in the future...

Hello,

I fly a C172N that is part of a flying club and kept tied-down outside. I find the time it takes to do all preflight activities is about a half hour, especially for cross-country flights. Is this normal for someone in my situation? If not, any tips to decrease the time it takes? Please know that I am NOT looking to decrease safety in any way, so please bear that in mind when responding.

Thanks!
I don't know where you live, so this comment may not apply to you. I once started to rush a pre-flight when it was 0° out- my hands were freezing. A pair of gloves is packed in my flight bag in winter to prevent a re-occurrence. I recently moved from a place that was warmer, and pre-flight could be done in the hangar on the cold days.

One place in your list that you can reduce time is the "Call ATIS, set altimeter." You should know the field elevation and setting the altitude should be simple. I have a hand held that I let run while I'm doing the cockpit checks and hear the ATIS several times before I'm ready to go so I know the winds and Alt setting. SO two ways to cut time, get a handheld or set the altimeter to the field elevation.

Several people have already touched on this, but I'll add my two cents.

It sounds ironic, but to speed up your pre-flight try to slow down a bit. If I'm organized and methodical, I'm effective and quick. If I'm rushing and/or disorganized, it takes me longer. YMMV.

My instructor often said "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." I think it has military origins.

Back