how to request special vfr and make a PIREP

pilot J93

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pilot J93
can anyone tell me how to request special vfr and make a PIREP? im a sudent pilot.

The only time I have requested SVFR was taking off from a towered airport and I just asked for it form Clearance Delivery, if I remember right (class C). I have given PIREPS to ATC while getting flight following. Sometimes they ask for one, sometimes I just offer it, usually in regards to turbulence. Something along the lines of NorCal Approach NXXXXX. We have had moderate turbulence for the last 10 miles.

(Assumes Class D) Podunk Tower, Bugsmasher 1234 over Nearby City requests special VFR clearance landing Podunk with Bravo.

-Skip

If the conditions warrant SVFR then just request it. Either from the tower, or ARTCC if you need it. For PIREPS I will ask whoever I am talking to if they have time for a PIREP, if they do I give it to them, if they don't I usually just keep quiet.

Make your PIREP calls to FSS. Podunk Radio, Pirep. Advise when ready to copy.

Thanks for the responses guys. I live in the caribbean and over here we have a radio practical included in our final private pilot exams..so im in the process of prepping for that.

If the conditions warrant SVFR then just request it. Either from the tower, or ARTCC if you need it. For PIREPS I will ask whoever I am talking to if they have time for a PIREP, if they do I give it to them, if they don't I usually just keep quiet.

ARTCC may or may not be the appropriate facility. You need to request to request it from the appropriate ATC facility for the airport (could be an approach control, could be center). Of course, if you call center and they don't own that airspace, they can give you the right facility to call.

If ATC is too busy to take a PIREP, you can always call FSS and give it to them. It's what they live for.

student pilot limitations preclude operating under conditions that SVFR would be granted for:

61.89 (6) Student pilot LIMITATIONS - a student pilot may not operate at less 3 statute miles during day

SVFR is less than 3 sm so...

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/inst_reports2.cfm?article=5150

"Student pilots are not permitted to request SVFR on solo flights, and SVFR is not allowed in most Class B airspace. SVFR is not permitted at night unless the pilot is instrument-rated and the aircraft properly equipped for instrument flight. "

student pilot limitations preclude operating under conditions that SVFR would be granted for:

61.89 (6) Student pilot LIMITATIONS - a student pilot may not operate at less 3 statute miles during day

SVFR is less than 3 sm so...

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/inst_reports2.cfm?article=5150

"Student pilots are not permitted to request SVFR on solo flights, and SVFR is not allowed in most Class B airspace. SVFR is not permitted at night unless the pilot is instrument-rated and the aircraft properly equipped for instrument flight. "

A SVFR clearance does not require conditions less than basic VFR.

Incidentally, it's something I would recommend to student pilots if they have the opportunity (with instructor). We went up once towards the end of my training on a day with light winds but 1200' ceilings or so that were forecast to slowly drop. It was good experience to A) copy and read back a clearance, and B) operate much closer to the clouds than normal. Ended up flying the last lap around 800 AGL to stay clear of clouds and called it a day. I remember it seemed like a lot of fun at the time.

Incidentally, it's something I would recommend to student pilots if they have the opportunity (with instructor). We went up once towards the end of my training on a day with light winds but 1200' ceilings or so that were forecast to slowly drop. It was good experience to A) copy and read back a clearance, and B) operate much closer to the clouds than normal. Ended up flying the last lap around 800 AGL to stay clear of clouds and called it a day. I remember it seemed like a lot of fun at the time.

Leaving Santa Barbara once, I experienced both the SVFR and the PIREP thing, before leaving the aerodrome. Clouds were closing in and it was one way out and cloudy over the top of the airport. I departed SVFR, climbed turned downwind over the top and the tower asked for a PIREP on the tops.

The frustrating thing about PIREP's is they almost never make it into the system. I always look for them and.... nothing. The single thing that would increase safety with little cost is some way to get PIREP's into the system without a 10 minute radio conversation off frequency.

Make your PIREP calls to FSS. Podunk Radio, Pirep. Advise when ready to copy.

Approach controllers will gladly take one if workload permits and especially if there is something interesting weather wise going on.

If you are VFR flight following or on an IFR flight plan they have your location, altitude and type so a long formal pirep does not need to be made. If you have information that might be able to help someone out, just pass it along quickly and the controller will appreciate it.

Last edited:
The frustrating thing about PIREP's is they almost never make it into the system. I always look for them and.... nothing. The single thing that would increase safety with little cost is some way to get PIREP's into the system without a 10 minute radio conversation off frequency.
PIREPS are pretty much dead and a thing of a past. The only reason there were more before is because everyone was radioing FSS who would ask for it. The FAA ruined FSS with Lockheed so nobody bothers to talk to them anymore and there's little point since we're all just looking at our various data feeds like XM anyhow.

Approach controllers will gladly take one if workload permits and especially if there is something interesting weather wise going on.

Problem is approach and ARTCC only use it for their info, they don't send it to FSS and it never is available for you to see on computer.

PIREPS are pretty much dead and a thing of a past. The only reason there were more before is because everyone was radioing FSS who would ask for it. The FAA ruined FSS with Lockheed so nobody bothers to talk to them anymore and there's little point since we're all just looking at our various data feeds like XM anyhow.

I give a PIREP to FSS on anything longer than 40 minutes in cruise. Sure its a pain if you're on FF and have to get permission to leave the frequency, but I figure its helping someone else. For night flyers, they close about 0300 to 0400 zulu depending on DST so don't bother.

Problem is approach and ARTCC only use it for their info, they don't send it to FSS and it never is available for you to see on computer.

They can and do send them to FSS, if FSS will answer the phone in a timely manner. The problem is FSS doesn't answer calls from ATC any faster than they answer calls from pilots. Traffic often does not allow ATC to wait for FSS to answer.

The solution is simple; instead of requiring ATC to call FSS so that FSS may enter the PIREP, give ATC the ability to enter the PIREP directly.

If you are VFR flight following or on an IFR flight plan they have your location, altitude and type so a long formal pirep does not need to be made. If you have information that might be able to help someone out, just pass it along quickly and the controller will appreciate it.
That's it right there. Even if it doesn't make it into the system, passing on a useful PIREP to whoever you are talking to is usually very appreciated and useful.

RE SVFR, the key is understanding the regs and learning how to apply when needed. When it's the right thing, it can be so good you'll feel like you just broke out of jail.

Back