How to proceed next?

Andy Appeltans

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingAppel
I need some advice.
I am an atp-equivalent European pilot with almost 7000h, most of which are on jets (737/747). The 747 is the only rating that is currently valid but I am working to get my SEP valid again (ASEL in FAA speak i think).
When i have that valid again i will definitely apply for a 61.75 license so i can rent an aircraft in the states or an N-registered one in Europe.

Now comes the part where i need the help.
If i want to fly commercially, (an odd ferry flight and what not, nothing full time) what is the best way to proceed?
1) just do a full commercial training? This would take a long time to get all the logbook endorsements
2) i do meet the requirements for the ATP (61.153.d.3), so i could apply for the ATP and only need to do the theoretical and practical test. I would go for the single engine ATP to avoid the ATP-CTP training as i don't intent to fly for the airlines in the US.

Is my interpretation for these 2 options correct? That i don't need extra training/endorsements for the ATP but i do need them for the commercial? I can't find any credits for a foreign license in 61 subpart F.

When going for option 2, is it possible to add the commercial multi engine to the license without the atp-ctp for the atp multi engine?

If there is a change in plans, i can convince my wife and i get a green card, then i can still do the atp-ctp if i want to apply for a us carrier.

Your last question is interesting.

But yes, you can take a rating ride at a lower certificate level than your current one. When I was training for my helicopter rating, I did the Private Pilot RH, so that all my flying after than was PIC as I worked towards my Comm and CFI RH.

Back