How to Plan a Trip to Canada

Jps19602002@mac.com

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bruuce
I know that I have to get an FCC registration and EAPIS for a trip to Montreal but can anyone advise me on how to do this. Anything else that I should be aware of? How long does it take to get these done?

Canada requires 1 million in liability insurance For single engine, 2 million for multi engine - have proof.

You need radio station lic for the plane and a radio operators lic for the pilot - 2 weeks.

You should have a US customs sticker, $25, before you leave - 2weeks

EAPHIS - 48 hours.

CANPASS approval before you go, maybe 30 minutes holding on the phone. You want to hit your ETA +/- 30 min. in Canada.

Telephone US customs at airport of entry notification at least 2 hours before you return ETA.

You need to be IFR or VFR on an active internatinal flight plan. If you are VFR, get border crossing sqauk code both ways.

Make sure you have the airworthiness cert, current aircraft reg, pilot cert, medical, ect. Customs will call FAA to violate you if they find a violation.

All this is a total pain in the butt, land on US side, rent car, drive. Canada customs are easy to deal with, the US isn't.

Last edited:
I can't remember where I got this.....but thanks to the OP. It might have been right here on POA. It is pretty complete. Sorry about the formatting, this software wouldn't allow .xlm.

Attachments

• Canada Border Crossing & Flying Checklist share version.pdf
    37.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
In reality, they never check for ELT or radio station licence/FCC or insurance. I have to say that my crossing was as painless as they come. None of the border guys even bothered looking in the plane - not the Canadians and not the CBP people coming back either. And this is me flying an old suspicious drug running style aircraft with fading paint and me looking like a hippie, too.

The CBP guy just checked licence, medical and passport, that was it. The Canadian just passport.

The EAPIS is dead simple online. No brainer. The CANPASS for your exit is a little more involved, but the briefers will help you.

Last edited:
I know that I have to get an FCC registration and EAPIS for a trip to Montreal but can anyone advise me on how to do this. Anything else that I should be aware of? How long does it take to get these done?

EAPIS is typical government bull****. The Canadians couldn't care less, but the US cares...a lot, going and coming. Don't **** it up, it could get pricey.

You "need" an FCC radio operators license for yourself. This consists of answering complex questions like "Can you take rough notes?" and "Do you understand English" and a ~$120 of cash. You also need a radio station license for the plane, this just requires ~$120 in cash. Nobody will ask you for them. Now if a guy wanted to pre-plan and get the paper carbon copy enabled versions from the FCC. One could fill out the forms, fold the top sheets and place them along with a couple of checks for the fee amount in an envelope, go flying using the pink copy, realize that nobody ever asked for one and return to the US and learn in HORROR that they forgot to drop off the originals in the mail, well, it'd be an ethical dilemma if they should mail off a couple hundie to the FCC.

On the Canadian side, the airports I've typically used don't even send a CBP (or whatever they're called over there) to see you, you just call a number, they ask if everything you declared is still true, you reply "yes" and they give you a number to write down (i put it in my logbook) and you carry on.

The regs over there are just enough to be worth mentioning. Their airspace can be different and they fly sane pattern entries. Off the top of my head, you need to be on a flight plan or tell them you have an informed party (i.e. someone is expecting you). No night VFR for non IFR rated pilots etc... Order your charts from Sportys, they're not easily accessible from the innarwebs.

Coming back to the US, won't be as easy. Also you have to file an ICAO (or some sort of acronym) flight plan that is unlike our "regular" ones. I recommend calling the Canadian briefers and letting them do it, the format is obscure if you're not familiar and the equipment codes are insane.

What Cli4ord listed is pretty much it.

I transitioned through Canada to Alaska and back.
Filed eApis with US outbound and called CANPASS with information for inbound with ETA. I did not have a 30minute wait with CANPASS. Got my departure approval though email account on my phone from eApis.

When you set up eApis, use an email account that you get on your smart phone. That's how you get notifications and approvals.

Filed IFR radar vectors from Bellingham WA to Abbotsford BC, landed, taxied to designated area to find a CANPASS phone on a hangar wall. Confirmed what I had just told them 45 min earlier and got an "entry number" for my logbook. Never saw anyone in person.

Filed eApis from Whitehorse YT into Northway AK, VFR flight plan with ADCUS. Got my eApis approval and launched, no need to clear outbound with CANPASS. Called Northway FSS crossing the border with ETA, no radar coverage.

Same thing outbound from Alaska to Whitehorse, filed eApis and approved outbound, called CANPASS for approval into Canada, VFR flight plan. Called CANPASS on landing, confrimed infor and got another number for the logbook.

Leaving Edmunton to Cut Bank MT, eApis filed, approved and then called US border to confirm as advised. VFR flight plan, Called Helena FSS for xpndr code for border crossing into Cut Bank, did not talk to ATC.

Met by US CBT agents at Northway and Cut Bank. Reviewed papers, pilot cert, medical, aircraft registration, passport. Quick check of the aircraft and done.

Yes, flight plans are required in Canada. I talked with Canadian FSS twice a day, weather brief and flight plans. When my destination was across the border into US, they took are of everything.

VFR above 12K is positive control with ATC. It's their Class B, VFR and you need an ATC clearance. In and out of Montreal you won't get that high.

What Cli4ord listed is pretty much it.

I transitioned through Canada to Alaska and back.
Filed eApis with US outbound and called CANPASS with information for inbound with ETA. I did not have a 30minute wait with CANPASS. Got my departure approval though email account on my phone from eApis.

When you set up eApis, use an email account that you get on your smart phone. That's how you get notifications and approvals.

Filed IFR radar vectors from Bellingham WA to Abbotsford BC, landed, taxied to designated area to find a CANPASS phone on a hangar wall. Confirmed what I had just told them 45 min earlier and got an "entry number" for my logbook. Never saw anyone in person.

Filed eApis from Whitehorse YT into Northway AK, VFR flight plan with ADCUS. Got my eApis approval and launched, no need to clear outbound with CANPASS. Called Northway FSS crossing the border with ETA, no radar coverage.

Same thing outbound from Alaska to Whitehorse, filed eApis and approved outbound, called CANPASS for approval into Canada, VFR flight plan. Called CANPASS on landing, confrimed infor and got another number for the logbook.

Leaving Edmunton to Cut Bank MT, eApis filed, approved and then called US border to confirm as advised. VFR flight plan, Called Helena FSS for xpndr code for border crossing into Cut Bank, did not talk to ATC.

Met by US CBT agents at Northway and Cut Bank. Reviewed papers, pilot cert, medical, aircraft registration, passport. Quick check of the aircraft and done.

Just to pick the nit, you probably called Great Falls FSS (not Helena) crossing back over into the US via Cut Bank.... :D They are the ONLY people you can call on the US side in that area...it's not exactly the NYC metro area. Cut Bank was my typical entry point back into the US and you get VERY close to the border before you can reach Great Falls FSS.

Just to pick the nit, you probably called Great Falls FSS (not Helena) crossing back over into the US via Cut Bank.... :D They are the ONLY people you can call on the US side in that area...it's not exactly the NYC metro area. Cut Bank was my typical entry point back into the US and you get VERY close to the border before you can reach Great Falls FSS.

You are probably correct, it was last year, I'd have to check my notes.
Helena was my next stop for the night, great service at the FBO to find me a room and the hotel would provide shuttle service.

I can't remember where I got this.....but thanks to the OP. It might have been right here on POA. It is pretty complete. Sorry about the formatting, this software wouldn't allow .xlm.
Thanks so much to all the replies. This checklist is great but I am on the East coast. Anyone know the numbers for Canada for this side of the country? Also who/how do you contact the FCC to get a radio license?

First, go to the AOPA web site and check their International Flying section -- complete and reliable information.
http://www.aopa.org/Flight-Planning/Canada.aspx

Second, the Canadians do not require radio station or operator's licenses to enter or fly in Canada. Technically, the FCC requires them for you to cross the US border, which is why AOPA lists that as a requirement, but unlike the FAA-required documents, I've never heard of anyone checking for them on private aircraft entering the US from Canada. There is a link to the FCC in the AOPA page above.

Make sure neither you nor any of your passengers has a DUI, especially a recent (past 5 years) one. Canadians can be pretty strict about that.

I haven't encountered anyone here who really understands CANPASS. >6 weeks before going, vet all you pax and crew with the office in Ontario. IIRC it's $15.00 each and a copy of the ID page from your passport.

When you are given CANPASS numbers, you notify them ahead, then you arrive, call the number, are told to "enjoy Canada" and that is all.

In Canada, DUI is a felony and permission to enter is denied. It can be waived after five years (write the ambassador).

If you don't vet in advance, it just like the American side- only more courteous.

And if you are in the habit of flying or carrying them better to leave your guns at home.

I haven't encountered anyone here who really understands CANPASS. >6 weeks before going, vet all you pax and crew with the office in Ontario. IIRC it's $15.00 each and a copy of the ID page from your passport.

When you are given CANPASS numbers, you notify them ahead, then you arrive, call the number, are told to "enjoy Canada" and that is all.

In Canada, DUI is a felony and permission to enter is denied. It can be waived after five years (write the ambassador).

If you don't vet in advance, it just like the American side- only more courteous.

3 advantages- you may land after the normal hours at the AOE, you may use airports listed as CANPASS only, and you are receiving expedited Service at the AOE.

It's very simple. I do it several times a year, probably half dozen or more.

Get a US customs sticker. I allow several weeks. I once did a rush trip without one, though, and the customs official on the way home didn't even notice. Never been asked for FCC either.
File outbound eAPIS. I usually do this the night before, but I've done it the hour before. No need to call US customs on the way out.
Call 1-888-CANPASS, I usually do this the night before. Hold times are usually short, under 5 minutes for me. Tell them who I am, what I'm flying, birth dates, how long and purpose of trip, plus ETA. Get told "Call when you land."
File flight plan. Fltplan.com is what I use. I haven't been pre-vetted which limits my allowed airports to land at, but it's really no issue.
Go.
Land, call CANPASS again. They say "Welcome to Canada" and 99% of the time, that's it. Every now and then they come out to say hi.
Fltplan.com will do your flight plans within Canada as well. I use that.

Coming home, file eAPIS, call your customs airport before taking off, land, get your cavity search (actually it's usually very quick and easy) and be on your way.

I've probably done this 50 times or more. Flying internationally is a lot of fun, and you should do it.

The fun abates a bit when you do everything right and get the $5,000 letter anyway because KCNH Customs screwed up. And they don't just say "Oh, sorry, you're right" and immediately issue a retraction.
It's very simple. I do it several times a year, probably half dozen or more.

Get a US customs sticker. I allow several weeks. I once did a rush trip without one, though, and the customs official on the way home didn't even notice. Never been asked for FCC either.
File outbound eAPIS. I usually do this the night before, but I've done it the hour before. No need to call US customs on the way out.
Call 1-888-CANPASS, I usually do this the night before. Hold times are usually short, under 5 minutes for me. Tell them who I am, what I'm flying, birth dates, how long and purpose of trip, plus ETA. Get told "Call when you land."
File flight plan. Fltplan.com is what I use. I haven't been pre-vetted which limits my allowed airports to land at, but it's really no issue.
Go.
Land, call CANPASS again. They say "Welcome to Canada" and 99% of the time, that's it. Every now and then they come out to say hi.
Fltplan.com will do your flight plans within Canada as well. I use that.

Coming home, file eAPIS, call your customs airport before taking off, land, get your cavity search (actually it's usually very quick and easy) and be on your way.

I've probably done this 50 times or more. Flying internationally is a lot of fun, and you should do it.

The fun abates a bit when you do everything right and get the $5,000 letter anyway because KCNH Customs screwed up. And they don't just say "Oh, sorry, you're right" and immediately issue a retraction.

Sure. It also abates when you have an engine failure or any of the other things that can happen when flying. Granted, customs issues are more probable, but I've never had a problem on either side.

If you're going to Montreal, I always fly into CYUL. Not very GA friendly, but not too difficult. Go to Shell Aerocentre. Coming home, my favorite places to stop are Buffalo, Watertown, and Manchester.

CANPASS is a little confusing, because it's both the name of a Canadian customs pre-clearing program, as well as the number to call for everyone (both canpass and non canpass holders) to call when notifying customs of entry and arrival at the AOE.

So if I decided to go VFR stateside to Alberta (say, Cut Bank, MT to Calgary Springbank), all I have to do is activate my VFR plan with Great Falls Radio and ask them for a border crossing squawk? Then not talk to anyone until I get close to Calgary's terminal and call the radar controller there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So if I decided to go VFR stateside to Alberta (say, Cut Bank, MT to Calgary Springbank), all I have to do is activate my VFR plan with Great Falls Radio and ask them for a border crossing squawk? Then not talk to anyone until I get close to Calgary's terminal and call the radar controller there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
make sure you have your CBT sticker, passport and eApis registration.

File eApis for an outbound departure from US. Call CanPass before you depart with ETA for border crossing and ETA for landing. Recieve email approval from eApis that you are cleared to depart. File, activate, get a code and go. Landing at Calgary, taxi to CanPass location and you'll either get a personal interview or have to call them on phone.

Also call NAVCanada with aircraft ID and billing information for ATC/FSS services. About $67 per calendar quarter.

No need to call CanPass for return, but do file eApis and get approval to enter US. Call Cutbank on phone with eta and confirmation that they can meet you at the airport. Get a xpndr code from US FSS or ATC before crossing US border.

All this is a total pain in the butt, land on US side, rent car, drive. Canada customs are easy to deal with, the US isn't.

:yeahthat:

Montreal is less than 30 min from the border; Toronto about 60, and you enter at Niagara Falls, which you're going to want to see anyway.

Back