How to not build an airplane

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
I started a couple years ago building an airplane in the basement. I sat down at the drafting table, and made up blueprints, and mechanical drawings, out the wazzoo, untill I finally came up with a viable solution.
Low wing, two seat, side by side, taildragger. I "borrowed" research from various certified airplanes, and came up with a workable plan.
I then set it to paper, and started building ribs, Once I had a stack of ribs, It was time to build a spar, and assemble the wing. I had but one problem. Spar is one piece, and 30' long. Wouldn't be a problem, except my basement has a wall, that would prevent anything over about 16'.
So I had an idea :yikes: and decided to build a place in which to build the airplane. I got started on that project about 2 years ago. And it's not ready yet. I've been working on it as I have time and money at the same time. And have been using it for everything except it's intended purpose, even though it's not finished yet. But on the up side, it's been able to pay for it's self. so far

Too many home builders with the same problems. Too many directions, too many obsticals, too little money, and too many years before we achieve our ends. But the journey is worth the effort!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Too many home builders with the same problems. Too many directions, too many obsticals, too little money, and too many years before we achieve our ends. But the journey is worth the effort!

Agreed 100%.....

The end result is a lifetime memory of achievment...
:yes::yes:.

Attachments

• 801 cabin 028.jpg
    801 cabin 028.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
Go back to the drawing board and redesign with two 15 ft spars?

Now that's inspiring. :D

Thanx

Go back to the drawing board and redesign with two 15 ft spars?

I started that way. But attatching them to the centersection was a PITA. Now if it was a metal spar I would be more comfortable doing that. But it's wood.

Back