How to make a 3X5 jpg?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
So, I was asked to send a 3X5 jpg size photo in for the presentation at OSH and I don't know how to do it. On the EAA web site they look pretty tiny, and I don't know how to do that...make it tiny like that from a 3X5 that I don't know how to make. We went out this morning and dragged the Citabria out into the grass (and mud) and shot a few shots, but now I don't know which one to use or how to make it the right size.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Diana, you can send me a PM or an email and I'll resize the file. Sending the instructions that EAA sent would be helpful too.

What they want is a file that has a 5:3 ratio between width and height, and they may also want a certain resolution as well.

For example, a 3x5 photo at 100 dots (pixels) per inch would be 500 pixels wide by 300 pixels high. At 300 dots per inch it would be 1500x900, and so on.

since many many cameras take pictures at 4:3 ratio, not 5:3, you will have to crop the image a bit to fit.

Let me know if I can help

-Tim

Diana, email it to me and I'll send it back pronto.
Thanks Ken! There are about three and I can't decided. They are pretty big, like 2.5MB (well, that's big to me :D). I'll send them one at a time if that's OK.

Fireworks is good for that sort of thing. It's an image editor designed for use by Web designers, and it allows pretty fine control over size (both dimensions and file size), quality, etc.

I have it, so I'll add my name to the list of those offering free editing services. I'm pretty much stuck inside today anyway.

Rich

Diana - it puts the functionality on the windows tool bar (IIRC) ... In windows explorer, browse to the photo and right click - should (hopefully) see Resize as an option ... I'm on a work laptop right now and can't verify that until I get home tonight.

Diana, email it to me and I'll send it back pronto.
Thanks Ken! I sent them to you and a few more. :)

Let me know if I can help

-Tim

I have it, so I'll add my name to the list of those offering free editing services. I'm pretty much stuck inside today anyway.
Rich
Tim and Rich, thanks so much for offering to help. I appreciate it.

Diana - it puts the functionality on the windows tool bar (IIRC) ... In windows explorer, browse to the photo and right click - should (hopefully) see Resize as an option
Ohhhhh. :redface: It's there!

I'll check that one out...thanks everyone. :)

OK, this what I ended up with after fumbling with photo programs for several hours. It seems to be about the same size as what other people have on the EAA site. I sent it in to them yesterday, and haven't heard back, so I don't know if it was OK or not. They wanted a head and shoulder shot, but I wanted to get the grass in the photo. Besides, some of the famous people had more than head and shoulders in theirs. :D

Thanks guys for your suggestions. And thanks Joe for helping me decide which one to send. :)

Attachments

• EAA shot 3X5 1.JPG
    EAA shot 3X5 1.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 24
OK, this what I ended up with after fumbling with photo programs for several hours. It seems to be about the same size as what other people have on the EAA site. I sent it in to them yesterday, and haven't heard back, so I don't know if it was OK or not. They wanted a head and shoulder shot, but I wanted to get the grass in the photo. Besides, some of the famous people had more than head and shoulders in theirs. :D

Thanks guys for your suggestions. And thanks Joe for helping me decide which one to send. :)

Is that the final or a thumbnail? At 150x180 pixels, it's going to be rather pixelated when printed at 3"x5" if I understood your original requirements.

Ken would know better than I would but my understanding for actual print requirements is 72ppi and most mag submissions ask for up to 300ppi. That would mean you need pixel dimensions of 216x360 for a 72ppi submission or 900x1500 for a 300ppi submission.

You know, it seems to me that EAA should be asking her for the original unaltered digital photo, and manipulating it themselves to suit their requirements. :dunno:

If you don't want to install software, go get a free photo account at www.photobucket.com - it provides easy photo resizing (I shrink photos to 640x480 pixels to show them on the webboard, so they don't skew the entire thread), and will even give you a place to host those pictures you want to post here on the POA site, even giving you perfectly formatted IMG tags that this board can use -- just copy and paste them into your post.

Here's their tutorial page on how easy it is to resize the images you upload. You'll see in screenshot #5 that "Message Board" is one of their pre-defined resize defaults.

http://tutorials.photobucket.com/tutorial_130.html

Last edited:
Is that the final or a thumbnail? At 150x180 pixels, it's going to be rather pixelated when printed at 3"x5" if I understood your original requirements.

Ken would know better than I would but my understanding for actual print requirements is 72ppi and most mag submissions ask for up to 300ppi. That would mean you need pixel dimensions of 216x360 for a 72ppi submission or 900x1500 for a 300ppi submission.
Brian, I have NO idea what you just said. :redface: I think it was English, but I'm not sure.

Here is what Martha King's looks like, as an example of what it is supposed to look like:

http://www.airventure.org/forums/presenter.asp?EventID=12&PresenterID=930

You know, it seems to me that EAA should be asking her for the original unaltered digital photo, and manipulating it themselves to suit their requirements. :dunno:
I just assume that they have a limited amount of staff to devote to this particular thing. And they probably assume that most people aren't as clueless as me.

If you don't want to install software, go get a free photo account at www.photobucket.com - it provides easy photo resizing (I shrink photos to 640x480 pixels to show them on the webboard, so they don't skew the entire thread), and will even give you a place to host those pictures you want to post here on the POA site, even giving you perfectly formatted IMG tags that this board can use -- just copy and paste them into your post.

Here's their tutorial page on how easy it is to resize the images you upload. You'll see in screenshot #5 that "Message Board" is one of their pre-defined resize defaults.

http://tutorials.photobucket.com/tutorial_130.html
Thanks Troy, I'll try that tonight. I'm hoping that the one I sent in will be OK.

That picture of Martha is 150x180 pixels. That'll work fine if all they're looking for is a picture for WEB use. As Brian said, if they intend to use it for printing in a magazine, you'll want one that has better resolution or it will look grainy in print.

Then that picture you sent earlier is perfect... small in size (kilobytes) and the correct dimensions (150x180) for their site. I think they'll give it a thumbs up!

Then that picture you sent earlier is perfect... small in size (kilobytes) and the correct dimensions (150x180) for their site. I think they'll give it a thumbs up!
Thanks Troy. I was still kinda worrying about it.

Brian, I have NO idea what you just said. :redface: I think it was English, but I'm not sure.

Here is what Martha King's looks like, as an example of what it is supposed to look like:

http://www.airventure.org/forums/presenter.asp?EventID=12&PresenterID=930

Okay, that makes more sense. EAA might have downsized it but what you provided matches their's so it should fit the bill. If it's used for anything else, like brochures, they might require something bigger, though.

Nice job!

Okay, that makes more sense. EAA might have downsized it but what you provided matches their's so it should fit the bill. If it's used for anything else, like brochures, they might require something bigger, though.

Nice job!
Thanks Brian. :) It's such a struggle for a clueless person. :redface:

Here was the other one that I thought of sending in. The grass was REALLY wet that morning. My pants were soaking wet when I got up. :D

Attachments

• EAA shot 3X5 5.JPG
    EAA shot 3X5 5.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 16
Thanks Brian. :) It's such a struggle for a clueless person. :redface:

Here was the other one that I thought of sending in. The grass was REALLY wet that morning. My pants were soaking wet when I got up. :D
That's a FLATTERING photo! (Probably not so much so after you stood up!:rofl:)

I love your smile Diana! Almost like you're laughing, but definitely having the best time of your life!

Very infecting!

Back