How to lose your CFI in 5 minutes on the ground...

Whoa, whoa, whoa... back that ride up to 61.51 (e)(1)(i) and stop there

(its been pretty well covered in this thread and many other many times over)

Yeah. I think I will. I think I was seeing some "ands" that weren't there.

It starts at a 61.51 (e) (1) (iv). It doesn't seem to be pertinent to the questions of this thread. I can't figure out what it applies to.

Generally speaking it applies to someone doing a type rating where in the guy supervising may not be a CFI but hold an ATP, if I remember right

Generally speaking it applies to someone doing a type rating where in the guy supervising may not be a CFI but hold an ATP, if I remember right
I was scratchin my head over that one. It lead me to jump to a wrong conclusion about this thread. I was thinking it could be something about a CFI giving instruction to a CFI candidate.

I knew some had to be. I have learned a lot from everyone on POA in the past few years of reading post. I have stumped a few CFIs with questions I have seen on here. It is nice to know that I can always just ask you guys if I have questions. I think of you guys as a resource.(well most of you)

Thanks for the kind words, well, as long as I'm not one of the ones in parentheses. ;):D

You did CMEL first before CSEL?
That's becoming more common these days due to the lack of availability of single-engine complex airplanes for rent. Applicants use the a A:MEL to meet the commercial complex requirement and get their Comm-A:MEL as their initial Commercial. They then add-on the Comm-A:SEL in a fixed-gear single.

I did my Commercial A:SEL and A:MEL on the same day using a C-310 for the complex tasks and a C-152 for everything else as I already had both single and multiengine ratings on my Private.

That's becoming more common these days due to the lack of availability of single-engine complex airplanes for rent. Applicants use the a A:MEL to meet the commercial complex requirement and get their Comm-A:MEL as their initial Commercial. They then add-on the Comm-A:SEL in a fixed-gear single.

I did my Commercial A:SEL and A:MEL on the same day using a C-310 for the complex tasks and a C-152 for everything else as I already had both single and multiengine ratings on my Private.

Roger, I was just confirming what he said because otherwise he would have been 61.63.

Yup you got it.

The cost of maintaining retract singles that were really never designed to have their butts kicked quite as hard as most training places are kicking them, and therefore the short supply of retract aircraft that owners are willing to subject to the wear and frankly, damage, that training causes on the poor gear -- and the astronomical price tags on some of the components in retracts -- is pushing the change to taking initial rides in twins.

I know if I owned a retract single I wouldn't let it anywhere near a flight club without setting the price tag for rental appropriately high to cover the inevitable damage just through wear. And let's not kid ourselves, it'd probably eventually be involved in a gear up, too. That isn't cheap to fix.

A local CFI candidate had the nose gear of a 182RG fold on his last landing of his flight practical last year or the year before. He was also flying with a Fed for it (a lot of initials here are DPEs, the FSDO is way overloaded). Not funny, but he had completed all tasks and passed. The Fed turned to him and said "Congratulations. Now let's get this airplane off the runway and we have more paperwork to do."

The owners that seem way more willing to leaseback aircraft these days are the brandy-new Cirri. They want to offset that purchase price, and I more than a little suspect that the upcoming "advanced avionics aircraft" that will qualify for the Commercial when FAA gets around to it, will amazingly just happen to have on-board requirements that just happen to meet what a glass panel Cirrus has on board. Hmmm. Go figure. (Politics. Heh.) The local area is awash in Cirri on leaseback at very high rates.

At that price point, if you're going to need it or just want it, renting the light twins isn't that much more money in the Grand Scheme of things. You'll probably need more time in it than the single, which ups the price, and you could get unlucky on scheduling and other problems that pushes that number even higher, but the flip side is that more twin time is going to be better than less for proficiency overall.

I'm probably the "bad" example of that fiscal possibility with just over 40 hours in the twin now, which shouldn't have been necessary, but I also can tell I'm a lot more comfortable and confident in that airplane at 40 than I was at 20. I can do stuff like plop that thing on a spot on the runway now without a voice in my head wondering if the outcome will be what I want. It's a noticeable difference.

(It's also a noticeable difference to my wallet, I won't lie. Ha. When every "workout" flight bills out to $500-$600 with instructor, the little ding from your banking app on your phone post-flight turns into a reason to cringe a little! Haha.)

And it won't hurt down the road for insurance reasons if I get an opportunity to teach in one. I don't expect anyplace or anyone will really need that, right away, but you never know. Light twins do kinda grow on you, even if you know they have some manners that would happily kill you real quick if you're not proficient.

Roger, I was just confirming what he said because otherwise he would have been 61.63.

Sí, señor. ¡Es verdad! ;)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back