How to log time of rented a/c out of school

einepilotin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
einepilotin
Hi i am an alien pilot student.
I would love to rent an airplane outside of school and build the time myself. As long as i have PPL, can I do that legally and log in my log book? Should I keep the receit and what else to prove it was legal and proper flying time when i apply for an airline job?

It's cheaper renting from outside of my school and I would like to travel further a bit than just near my flight school area... i can't rent the plane all day from my school for that. Appreciate the advice!

Hmm you have a PPC from the USA and you're asking this? Or are you a student pilot?

Yes it's perfectly legal to fly outside of your flight school and log the time, as long as you are properly certificated. No need to keep the receipt for the rental. There's a little box at the bottom of each page in your logbook which states, "I certify that all information in this flight log is true" or something of that nature. By signing that, people give you the benefit of the doubt that you did in fact fly what you have logged in your book.

I'm not sure if the requirement to show nationality is exclusive to receiving training, but I have had to show proof to every club and rental outfit I've flown with.

If you are receiving certain instruction the school/instructor is required by law to get such information. This was put in after the guys who hijacked the 9/11 planes were found to have gotten some flight experience at US flight schools.

Rental doesn't require the security check by law, but the rental place may indeed ask for it anyhow.

As far as going outside the school, your extra curricular time can be logged and counted for some future career application. Keeping other records isn't required but frankly, not a bad idea for other reasons (it can be used to help recreate a lost log book for example). Note that if you are in a 141 school or the like, your time outside their official curricula will likely not be counted for getting your signoff to take the exam.

If you are receiving certain instruction the school/instructor is required by law to get such information. This was put in after the guys who hijacked the 9/11 planes were found to have gotten some flight experience at US flight schools.

Rental doesn't require the security check by law, but the rental place may indeed ask for it anyhow.

As far as going outside the school, your extra curricular time can be logged and counted for some future career application. Keeping other records isn't required but frankly, not a bad idea for other reasons (it can be used to help recreate a lost log book for example). Note that if you are in a 141 school or the like, your time outside their official curricula will likely not be counted for getting your signoff to take the exam.
Correct, and there's also a spot in the back of the logbook that the CFI or whoever took the birth certificate (or similar), is supposed to sign which states that it has been done.

Hmm you have a PPC from the USA and you're asking this? Or are you a student pilot?
Still a student pilot, just wanted to make sure if there would be a clearer way to prove of legal rental. Apart from payment evidenceb and logging the time. :) thanks

Still a student pilot, just wanted to make sure if there would be a clearer way to prove of legal rental. Apart from payment evidenceb and logging the time. :) thanks

Ok, think I got where you're coming from. Being that you're a student, and enrolled at a 141 at that, you're probably wasting your time. Why not just rent from the school when you're signed off for solo, under your CFI's supervision of course. Maybe not, but that's how see it.

Last edited:
If you are a student pilot, you must be under the supervision of your flight instructor, and you must be endorsed to solo in the rental make and model. With the exception of repeated flights to a familiar airport, you must be endorsed for every flight. Time building for students is very seldom necessary, though, as it really does take 35 or 40 hours to learn to fly.

Back