How to log flight review time?

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
I can't find this in the FARs, but here's what the ASA booklet "Guide to the Biennial Flight Review" (Jackie Spanitz) says:

"If the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls, then the flight should be logged as PIC time. If receiving dual instruction, then it should be logged as dual. The PIC should be determined between the candidate and the CFI before beginning the review flight."

So, if the candidate is current and we state that she is the PIC before the flight, then she logs the time as PIC and I log the time as PIC? If she is not current, then she logs it as dual received (not PIC) and I log it as dual given and PIC?

That's the way I read it. How do you CFI's log flight review time?

Chip

I log any review I receive as dual and PIC. I was sole manipulator and am qualified to act as PIC. I received dual instruction. CFI could log instruction given.

The ASA guide is not consistent with the FAA's interpretations of 14 CFR 61.51.

It doesn't matter whether the reviewee is current or not -- since the reviewee must be "rated" (has the appropriate category and class ratings on his/her pilot certificate) in the aircraft in which the pilot takes the flight review (see 14 CFR 61.57(c)(1)), the reviewee logs the time in the PIC column under the sole manipulator clause 14 CFR 61.51(e)(1)(i). Since this is also flight training received from an authorized instructor, the reviewee also logs it in the "training received" column, per 14 CFR 61.51(h). It is merely an OWT that the logging of PIC and training time are mutually exclusive (other than for Student Pilots and others not rated in the aircraft in which the training takes place).

In addition, the instructor giving the flight review logs the time in the PIC column per 14 CFR 61.51(e)(3) and the "training given" column (not specifically addressed in 14 CFR 61.51 but alluded to in 14 CFR 61.195(h)).

Because the reviewee must be rated in the aircraft in which the flight review is taken, the question of who is PIC during the flight review is irrelevant to the question of how the time is logged -- no matter who is PIC, both can log it as PIC time.

Ron Levy said:
The ASA guide is not consistent with the FAA's interpretations of 14 CFR 61.51.

Hmm. The ASA booklet reads perfectly consistent with the FARs and the FAA's interpretations. The ASA booklet has three independent sentences containing three independent statements. All three independent statements are perfectly true.

1. If the pilot is rated s/he may log PIC.
2. If receiving dual the pilot should log dual received.
3. It is a good idea to agree upon who is legal PIC prior to conducting any flight.

man i thought i posted about this but cant find it. Something about the long time advice i had heard about a "failed" flight review logged as dual given but NOT PIC, which is wrong of course. I think this might be what Ron is referring to.

Ed Guthrie said:
Hmm. The ASA booklet reads perfectly consistent with the FARs and the FAA's interpretations. The ASA booklet has three independent sentences containing three independent statements. All three independent statements are perfectly true.

1. If the pilot is rated s/he may log PIC.
2. If receiving dual the pilot should log dual received.
3. It is a good idea to agree upon who is legal PIC prior to conducting any flight.
All three are correct, but it is odd that one should put in a line about "If receiving dual instruction" in a discussion of flight reviews, since flight reviews always dual instruction (or, in official FAA-ese, "training time"). In addition, the paragraph reads as though logging PIC time and logging training time are mutually exclusive, and they most definitely are not.

Ron Levy said:
In addition, the paragraph reads as though logging PIC time and logging training time are mutually exclusive, and they most definitely are not.

Amen. Years ago when I was working on my commercial, instrument,
and other ratings for which I already was rated for the aircraft it
was always logged as either/or. If I actually cared about PIC time
I could pick up a bundle going back and adding it in.

Back