How to land a 737 (Nervous Passenger Edition)

My CFI is flying same outfit as Jonesey but he's maybe 25??? Tall and skinny as a beanpole. He gets comments from passengers about the kid piloting.

"I want to punch them in the face"... Lol!

There's a big difference between simple ability to fly a plane to a successful landing on a standard day with an emergency declared and being able to safely and successfully handle the "Oh ****" situations without the passengers being any the wiser. Experience, proper training, and systems/aircraft knowledge make the 2nd batch of pilots.

So, I wouldn't be too worried about your jobs going anywhere. Besides, the flying public hates flying with any pilot who doesn't have grey hair.

A. I posted that in a humorous manner. :)
B. I agree with you, anybody can push the A/P buttons but we put our lives in the hands of pilots who we hope are trained to handle any emergency. :yesnod:

If you guys were faced with the scenario of being a passenger who has to land an airliner with no prior experience, would you hand fly at altitude* a little bit to get a feel for things?

*this is assuming after you get all the ducks in a line, no crazy warnings, headed -d-> airport, in vmc, etc. You know, everything except for the dead pilots is going well.

Hard to say. Probably not. The airplane isn't going to handle the same at altitude cleaned up as it will on final with the gear and flaps out along with a much slower airpseed. I'd take my one shot at it and hope it works out:)

If you guys were faced with the scenario of being a passenger who has to land an airliner with no prior experience, would you hand fly at altitude* a little bit to get a feel for things?

*this is assuming after you get all the ducks in a line, no crazy warnings, headed -d-> airport, in vmc, etc. You know, everything except for the dead pilots is going well.

I would suggest NOT doing that above 10,000 feet or so because it handles differently at the higher altitudes. In fact, the safest outcome possible is to let the airplane auto land as long as there was someone able to talk one through the setup.

Back