How to know when stadium TFR's are active in LA?

James Darren

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James Darren
Hi all,

How do I know if the stadium TFR's in Los Angeles (specifically Dodger Stadium & The Coliseum) are active whilst I am in the air?

Also, how do I get this information on the ground before I plan to fly?

Thanks...

In Denver the Rocky Mountain Metro (KBJC), which is nearby to the stadium, has it on it's ATIS.

Official: Briefing via Lockmart, Duats.

Unofficial: skyvector.com

Surely you jest. None of these sources tell you anything about stadium activity.
Skyvector will tell you if a game is scheduled.

Lockmart/duat(s) tells you nothing. Zip, zero zilch.

You check the MLB/NHL/NASCAR/NCAA websites for scheduled games and local ATC to see if a game is in overtime.

Don't fly low enough that they can get your tail number.
Don't circle.

The rule is so unworkable that it is unconstitutional. The same for nuclear stations they do not put on the charts.
We need one of the alphabet organizations to take a test case to Federal Court.
Unchallenged the next extension of the rule (all unchallenged rules have mission creep) is to ban flying over schools, hospitals, major intersections, drive time traffic, Sally's Hair Salon, etc. etc.

Skyvector will tell you if a game is scheduled.

You'll have to show that one to me. I KNOW there's a game at the UVA stadium today at 3PM. Skyvector doesn't show it (and in fact, unlike WEATHERMEISTER that alerts me that there's a stadium that MIGHT be covered by the TFR active there, Skyvector shows nothing).

D
The rule is so unworkable that it is unconstitutional.
The FAA does NOT feel bound by the Constitution, never has been.
The same for nuclear stations they do not put on the charts.
In fact, the FAA published a NOTAM with the Nuke plants MISLOCATED by a substantial amount.
Good luck. You don't get to a real judicial court until you've already been reamed pretty hard by the process. And there, you're still pretty hamstrung by what is permissible procedurally.
Unchallenged the next extension of the rule (all unchallenged rules have mission creep) is to ban flying over schools, hospitals, major intersections, drive time traffic, Sally's Hair Salon, etc. etc.
You mean like very politically-connected major themeparks?

Last edited:
Hi all,

How do I know if the stadium TFR's in Los Angeles (specifically Dodger Stadium & The Coliseum) are active whilst I am in the air?

Also, how do I get this information on the ground before I plan to fly?

Thanks...

ForeFlight added a feed for Stadium TFRs in June 2014. The data is not from FAA sources, since the FAA themselves don't keep track of which teams are playing when. But it conforms to the definition of Stadium TFRs in FDC 4/3621 (and its predecessor 9/5151) http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_3621.html

http://blog.foreflight.com/2014/06/12/stadium-tfrs/

You'll have to show that one to me. I KNOW there's a game at the UVA stadium today at 3PM. Skyvector doesn't show it (and in fact, unlike WEATHERMEISTER that alerts me that there's a stadium that MIGHT be covered by the TFR active there, Skyvector shows nothing).

The Virginia game is in Atlanta today. SkyVector does have it.

ForeFlight.

Attachments

• TFR.jpg
    TFR.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 14
Which ATC would you contact for the status of Dodger Stadium, Rose Bowl & The Coliseum?
SoCal Approach. If they don't know it's active, it's not an issue, since they're the ones who will detect an incursion. And if you use them for flight following, you're covered anyway. On the ground, ForeFlight provides reliable information on the stadium TFR's which are active (or going active, with the time they will go active).

SoCal Approach. If they don't know it's active, it's not an issue, since they're the ones who will detect an incursion. And if you use them for flight following, you're covered anyway. On the ground, ForeFlight provides reliable information on the stadium TFR's which are active (or going active, with the time they will go active).
Thanks Ron. If I'm not using flight following, is it just as simple as asking SoCal approach if the 3 TFR's are active? Once I have the info, can I switch over from SoCal Approach to KSMO ATC since I'll be landing there?

Don't fly low enough that they can get your tail number.
Don't circle.

The rule is so unworkable that it is unconstitutional. The same for nuclear stations they do not put on the charts.

What's the rule for nuclear power plants? I had a trip past one, looked at the charts, for TFRs, NOTAMs, no signs of restrictions. :dunno:

What's the rule for nuclear power plants? I had a trip past one, looked at the charts, for TFRs, NOTAMs, no signs of restrictions. :dunno:
No TFRs as far as I know, nuke plants typically aren't marked on the sectionals anyway. Just don't linger or you might end up in jail like the guy in the glider a couple years ago.

Not the best solution, but I'd avoid the area. I know it can be tough in the LA basin with the class B.

FDC 4/0811 FDC ...SPECIAL NOTICE... THIS IS A RESTATEMENT OF A PREVIOUSLY ISSUED ADVISORY NOTICE. IN THE INTEREST OF NATIONAL SECURITY AND TO THE EXTENT PRACTICABLE, PILOTS ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE ABOVE, OR IN PROXIMITY TO SUCH SITES AS POWER PLANTS (NUCLEAR, HYDRO-ELECTRIC, OR COAL), DAMS, REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES, MILITARY FACILITIES AND OTHER SIMILAR FACILITIES. PILOTS SHOULD NOT CIRCLE AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OVER THESE TYPES OF FACILITIES.

And as long as I am copying and pasting from my DUAT briefing:

FDC 4/3621 FDC PART 1 OF 3 SPECIAL SECURITY NOTICE SPORTING EVENTS. THIS NOTAM REPLACES FDC NOTAM 9/5151 TO REFLECT A TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION (TSA) WEBSITE UPDATE AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONCERNING AIRSPACE WAIVERS. FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS IN THIS NOTAM COMPLY WITH STATUTORY MANDATES DETAILED IN SECTION 352 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-7 AS AMENDED BY SECTION 521 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-199. PURSUANT TO 49 USC 40103(B), THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) CLASSIFIES THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AS 'NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE'. ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY OR WILLFULLY VIOLATES THE RULES PERTAINING TO OPERATIONS IN THIS AIRSPACE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN CRIMINAL PENALTIES UNDER 49 USC 46307. PILOTS WHO DO NOT ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES MAY BE INTERCEPTED, DETAINED AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT/SECURITY PERSONNEL. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS; INCLUDING PARACHUTE JUMPING, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT AND REMOTE CONTROLLED AIRCRAFT, ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 1410271420-PERM END PART 1 OF 3 FDC 4/3621 FDC PART 2 OF 3 SPECIAL 3NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY EVENT, STADIUM OR VENUE AND BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED AIRSPACE WAIVER. AN FAA AIRSPACE WAIVER DOES NOT RELIEVE OPERATORS FROM OBTAINING ALL OTHER NECESSARY AUTHORIZATIONS AND COMPLYING WITH ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL AVIATION REGULATIONS. THE RESTRICTIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHT OPERATIONS. ALL PREVIOUSLY ISSUED WAIVERS TO FDC NOTAM 9/5151 REMAIN VALID UNTIL THE SPECIFIED END DATE BUT NOT TO EXCEED 90 DAYS FOLLOWING THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS NOTAM. INFORMATION ABOUT AIRSPACE WAIVER APPLICATIONS 1410271420-PERM END PART 2 OF 3 FDC 4/3621 FDC PART 3 OF 3 SPECIAL AND TSA SECURITY AUTHORIZATIONS CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://WWW.TSA.GOV/STAKEHOLDERS/AIRSPACE-WAIVERS-0 OR BY CALLING TSA AT 571-227-2071. SUBMIT REQUESTS FOR FAA AIRSPACE WAIVERS AT HTTPS://WAIVERS.FAA.GOV. 1410271420-PERM END PART 3 OF 3

Don't forget:
91.103 Preflight action.

Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight.

Last edited:
FDC 4/0811 FDC ...SPECIAL NOTICE... THIS IS A RESTATEMENT OF A PREVIOUSLY ISSUED ADVISORY NOTICE. IN THE INTEREST OF NATIONAL SECURITY AND TO THE EXTENT PRACTICABLE, PILOTS ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE ABOVE, OR IN PROXIMITY TO SUCH SITES AS POWER PLANTS (NUCLEAR, HYDRO-ELECTRIC, OR COAL), DAMS, REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES, MILITARY FACILITIES AND OTHER SIMILAR FACILITIES. PILOTS SHOULD NOT CIRCLE AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OVER THESE TYPES OF FACILITIES.
Thanks, that is interesting. For some reason I have never seen this and never been told of it by a briefer. But now, having read it, I still don't know what it means. I see no restriction or prohibition. And what does "to the extent practicable" mean? "Strongly advised"? "Proximity"?

On a recent cross country for fun, there was a nuke plant directly under the magenta line. I actually flew about one mile to the side to have a better view for pictures. Did I "violate" this NOTAM? And what if I did?

Nuts.

I wonder if an F-18 can slow down enough to intercept a Cub.

Last edited:
Thanks, that is interesting. For some reason I have never seen this and never been told of it by a briefer. But now, having read it, I still don't know what it means. I see no restriction or prohibition. And what does "to the extent practicable" mean? "Strongly advised"? "Proximity"?

On a recent cross country for fun, there was a nuke plant directly under the magenta line. I actually flew about one mile to the side to have a better view for pictures. Did I "violate" this NOTAM? And what if I did?

Nuts.

I wonder if an F-18 can slow down enough to intercept a Cub.

The briefer won't say anything because this is nothing "new" and the assumption would be that you heard about this years ago.

The notam is vague enough to mean nothing. Lots of approaches go right over plants (nuclear and otherwise) - but, it gives the FAA / TSA / DHS a chance to nail your butt if they feel like it for other reasons - it's so vague that you can't ever claim to have followed it.

Mostly, just don't circle anything industrial and you probably won't get in trouble. On the other hand, if the FAA or TSA wants to nail you to a tree, not flying over a plant won't save you.

Don't forget about the Disneyland TFR in the L.A. area. Foreflight seems to do a good job with stadium TFRs (along with others) by the way.

Back