How to kill this chinese evil plant / flower vine? N/A

oh please....SPECIES of PLANTS are being discussed here...not race.
The original poster brought it up in their original posting and in the reply I quoted. The plant didn't originate in China (to discuss the species).

Do you think it is good not to question such remarks?

Mix a little dish soap in with the weed killer...the soap washes the protective oils off the plant so the weed killer can be effective...not necessary if soap solution is already part of weed killer. It will not hurt to add a squirt of detergent anyway if there are any doubt..my 2 cents.

Some 100LL will kill any plant or weed.

So will used antifreeze .... which is glycol .... which I believe is related to glyphosate (Roundup)

So will used antifreeze .... which is glycol .... which I believe is related to glyphosate (Roundup)

They're not related. Antifreeze is almost always ethylene glycol or propylene glycol in water. Both simple molecules, they're more related to ethyl alcohol or propyl alcohol, with an extra OH group on the molecule. Ethylene glycol, in particular, is quite toxic to mammals (some of whom love the taste), so I wouldn't recommend dumping it on weeds.

Roundup is another very simple molecule; it is almost a phosphate group stuck onto the amino acid glycine (actually N-(phosphonomethyl) glycine). But very different from the glycols.

Chemical trivia: some of the reasons Monsanto was so successful with Roundup were that it's a tiny, and extremely cheap molecule to manufacture...just 10 atoms, if you don't count the hydrogens. But, as luck would have it, if you make ANY change to the molecule, it's inactive. That's why competitors were never able to patent analogs to compete with it.

Last edited:

Nope, not related at all. There are many different "glycols", @GaryM only listed a few of them. Ethylene glycol is reputed to be sweet, it is also considered a "sugar alcohol".
The moiety containing the phosphorous is a phosphonic group.

It also meant that after the patent expiration, they couldn't develop a new version themselves for a "repatent" of the original.

I am the same .... takes 2 coffee and one cigarette before my morning brain starts working . I ended up with one of these stove top 2 gallon monsters ... I like the narrow spout for aiming at weeds .... use it also to heat water when camping ... paid about $25 for it but looks like prices have gone up.

View attachment 100116

I have one that looks much like that but is copper and smaller. I don’t use it because my glass cooktop takes forever to boil water. The electric kettle is so fast.

Back