How to install Carpet in C172

tom.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
I purchased a new carpet set for my '58 172. Does anyone know how you're supposed to stick the carpet to the floor? How about the center hump?

The old carpet was stuck down with household flooring adhesive (the carpet was '70s shag) and it took hours to remove all the adhesive. I was thinking of velcro pads.

Thanks

Tom

1st is the carpet that you purchased approved by the FAA to be fire resistant? Most carpets have installed snaps to secure it. In some cases your may find velcro to hold it in place. I am also changing out my carpet but I am purchasing it premade from AirTex as it is not worth the trouble of sewing the edges and installing the snaps myself. They do a good job and the cost is not that high.

tom. said:
I purchased a new carpet set for my '58 172. Does anyone know how you're supposed to stick the carpet to the floor? How about the center hump?

The old carpet was stuck down with household flooring adhesive (the carpet was '70s shag) and it took hours to remove all the adhesive. I was thinking of velcro pads.

Thanks

Tom

Where carpet is to be removed for inspection it is held by screws. other places it is glued with 3m 1900 contact cement.

sere said:
1st is the carpet that you purchased approved by the FAA to be fire resistant? Most carpets have installed snaps to secure it. In some cases your may find velcro to hold it in place. I am also changing out my carpet but I am purchasing it premade from AirTex as it is not worth the trouble of sewing the edges and installing the snaps myself. They do a good job and the cost is not that high.

Mine is from Airtex and made specifically for aircraft. The fit is good but the center hump had to be cut to fit the trim wheel and flap handle (manual flaps on the early 172). I used a few Velcro tabs on the center hump which needed quite a bit of trimming. Besides the center hump, everything else fits great.

tom. said:
Mine is from Airtex and made specifically for aircraft. The fit is good but the center hump had to be cut to fit the trim wheel and flap handle (manual flaps on the early 172). I used a few Velcro tabs on the center hump which needed quite a bit of trimming. Besides the center hump, everything else fits great.

Great they did a good job for me too. The only reason I asked is I have ran into several pilot who thought it is ok to go to the local carpet store.

I don't have anything to add to this except a warning to be sure to use the appropriate sized screws, if applicable.

My carpet has no fasteners. It is held down by the rear seat and by the front seat rails and seat belt anchor. It hasn't moved by itself in the 3 years I've owned the plane.

Tyler

Back