How to handle this medical issue

Rob P.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rob P.
At some point I'm going to need to talk to the flight doc for my medical. As it stands I am unsure if I should mention the following or not.

I have a bad back. 4 blown disks (3 lumbar 1 cervical) and stenosis. I have a "open" prescription for pain meds with my doctor. On occasion I self medicate with Vicodin. I do not take the drugs every day or even weekly - just as needed as for as short of a time period as I can. This works out so far to something like 1 or 2 days every few months. Otherwise I use OTC's like Aleve or Ibuprofen.

Per the FAA, opiate use is bad juju.

But, since I'm not using the opiates on a regular basis, in my mind it is the equivalent of someone being hurt and being prescribed tylenol with codene by their doc. When the pain goes away, stop using the drugs and don't drive/fly/work on the roof/etc while taking them.

But, per the FAA, the prior use of opiates is only allowed if "the underlying condition has abated." In my case, it hasn't and will not.

So, I guess, the question is: will my spine prevent me from passing the medical so long as I continue to be prescribed the drugs? Or, can I stop the drug use/prescription and (over time) prove that I dont' need them any longer?

I had been out of flying for 17 years when I renewed my medical to start flying again. I had also been on Vicodin in the past but had not had any for about a year when I went to see an AME. FAA differed my medical till I had paperwork from my PCP that the back pain had been resolved through physical therapy. Delayed everything for about 6 months. Not likely they will issue if you still have an active Rx, but hey, what do I know, Dr Bruce is your best chance for a real answer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back