How to get weather updated when on Flight Following?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
So say I am on a trip from KDVT to KOKB (Oceanside, CA) and I am on Flight Following. Would I ask to leave frequency to go over to the nearest FSS to get a weather update?

The last time I visited Seattle Center there was a readerboard visible from all positions on which the weather at most local airports was posted. At that time it was easier for the Center controller to just give a caller the wx rather than switch freqs. Today, it is more like "Frequency change approved, report back on," or "Report back on my frequency 120.6" if crossing a sector boundary is involved.

Bob

The last time I visited Seattle Center there was a readerboard visible from all positions on which the weather at most local airports was posted. At that time it was easier for the Center controller to just give a caller the wx rather than switch freqs. Today, it is more like "Frequency change approved, report back on," or "Report back on my frequency 120.6" if crossing a sector boundary is involved.

Bob

So what would be "good" phraseology to ask for weather from the Center controller?

If I did leave frequency and came back on would something like this suffice? "Albuquerque Center, Cherokee 101RM back with you on 120.6.

Thanks for the help - by the way I am reading your book "Say Again Please" right now. On Class E section right now. I am sure my answer is somewhere in your book.

Depends on what your weather update is. If this is some sort of update from a previous FSS briefing, then yes, request a freq change to FSS. If you're just looking for current weather conditions for an airport, most fields they can access on their NAS computer. "Indi center, Velocity 345 request current conditions at Chattanooga." Might take a minute, but they can access it.

I heard a student once ask SAV if he could leave the freq to get information on the Convective activity he was avoiding. Complete waste of a freq change. SAV can read off the same Convective SIGMET that FSS has. They can also provide realtime weather (precipitation) information through their radar.

Last edited:
Depends on what your weather update is. If this is some sort of update from a previous FSS briefing, then yes, request a freq change to FSS. If you're just looking for current weather conditions for an airport, most fields they can access on their NAS computer. "Indi center, Velocity 345 request current conditions at Chattanooga." Might take a minute, but they can access it.

I heard a student once ask SAV if he could leave the freq to get information on the convevtive activity he was avoiding. Complete waste of a freq change. SAV can read off the same Convective SIGMET that FSS has. They can also provide realtime weather (precipitation) information through their radar.

Great thanks for the help!

there is no weather this time of year.

Why not grab an ipad and even and old stratus 1 - or a andrid tablet and one of the other flight planners and an aDS-B receiver?

yo used to hear guys ask to go off freq to talk to an FSS - but I have not heard that in years, literally. everyone flies with on board weather now -

there is no weather this time of year.

Why not grab an ipad and even and old stratus 1 - or a andrid tablet and one of the other flight planners and an aDS-B receiver?

yo used to hear guys ask to go off freq to talk to an FSS - but I have not heard that in years, literally. everyone flies with on board weather now -

I have my iPad...and I should buy a Stratus I just haven't done so. Does the Stratus give winds a loft? It would be useful to know the winds over mountain ranges, etc

I have my iPad...and I should buy a Stratus I just haven't done so. Does the Stratus give winds a loft? It would be useful to know the winds over mountain ranges, etc
Gives you full weather similar to what you would get on the ground. Only issue is you have to be aware that the information can lag several minutes. So if you are trying to weave between stuff it is not a safe way to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gives you full weather similar to what you would get on the ground. Only issue is you have to be aware that the information can lag several minutes. So if you are trying to weave between stuff it is not a safe way to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yea I wouldn't be weaving through weather anyways haha. I keep thinking a new stratus might come out since the 2s has been out a bit...so I have been waiting but that might not be a good way to go.

Ya can always just do it. Then come back to the center and say "have you been trying to get a hold of me?" Nah, don't do that.

So what would be "good" phraseology to ask for weather from the Center controller?

If I did leave frequency and came back on would something like this suffice? "Albuquerque Center, Cherokee 101RM back [note the deletion] on 120.6.

Thanks for the help - by the way I am reading your book "Say Again Please" right now. On Class E section right now. I am sure my answer is somewhere in your book.

Indirectly: "Center, 1234X request frequency change to check the weather...." If s/he has the time and the wx available, you will get it....if not, the transmission I posted originally should be the reply.

Bob

Back