How to get an intro ride without screwing folks

@lurkerLuke I have to warn you that flying is like crack. You might go there intending to take one lesson and that's it, but next thing you know you're spending $10,000+ to get your PPL. Just a heads up.

Yup, that's about the truth. You get your first taste and it's like "Oh, I like this", then thousands of dollars later, it's like "This is hell on my bank account but yeah, I'm gonna keep doing this" I was never into drugs but I would say that is probably the best analogy!

That's how I started: Had a day off with no plans, drove over to the local airport, walked into the FBO, asked if I could get a "discovery flight", hopped into a plane with a CFI, handled the controls on takeoff, cruise, and landing, then asked "where do I sign up for lessons?"

I've seen a tendency for some places to call it an "intro lesson", you get to put it into a logbook, but it's also a way to charge a bit more.

I always logged discovery flights in a logbook. At the places I worked at we had a stack of Sporty's 2 page "souvenir logbooks" (that's what I called them) we gave out for free if the customer did not want to buy a real logbook.

I always logged discovery flights in a logbook. At the places I worked at we had a stack of Sporty's 2 page "souvenir logbooks" (that's what I called them) we gave out for free if the customer did not want to buy a real logbook.

And staple in a brochure with the suprisingly reasonable requirements for a private pilots license and a coupon for '25% off ground school'

I used to travel a bunch around the U.S. for work and I often would just call up a flight school and just tell them I am a pilot and wanted to go up for an hour. I am certificated - can't say licensed on this board ;) I never had a problem. I paid for an hour of flight and an hour of instruction. I have done it many times and hope to do it many times in the future. It is a great way to see a new part of the country.

Can a flight school legally do this without a 135 cert?

Yes. It would be sightseeing or aerial photography and is exempt. Basically, the flight just has to return to the originating airport and have no other purpose.

Rich

Should run around $200/hour or a bit less for a 172 plus instructor. Less at Livermore than Oakland, but further from the Bay. For some reason, Hayward seems even more expensive.

30 minutes is TOO SHORT. You need an hour at least to do anything.

69 bucks here. That's for 30 minutes but typically they'll Buzz around for 10 or 15 extra if you're chatting em up good.
Makg is right...30 is quick.

Yes. It would be sightseeing or aerial photography and is exempt. Basically, the flight just has to return to the originating airport and have no other purpose.

Rich

Exempt except for the required LOA which wasn't a requirement long long ago.

And some FSDOs make that LOA such an annoyance to get that it's not worth it, unless you do a lot of them.

Back