How to find safety pilot

You've never met me. You know the TSA's whole "beware of someone carrying a certificate without the corresponding aeronautical knowledge"? Yeah. That's me. And I'm ashamed to admit I'm a CFI, ha.

:( :(

Semi-recently minted VFR pilots, or frankly anyone who is looking to build XC time to start IR training, would be thrilled to be a safety pilot in VMC. I have seen postings on the bulletin board at my local flight school.

The other thing I would recommend is asking local instructors who their IR students are. I've seen deals where IR students (or folks getting current) split the cost of a flight and switch off safety piloting for each other on different legs. As long as you're in VMC you should have a lot of options!

I thought you couldn't log XC time when you are acting as safety pilot? I'm aware of all the nuances of acting PIC, sole manipulator of the controls and all that, but I've always hear that only one person can log XC time.

Is that wrong?

I thought you couldn't log XC time when you are acting as safety pilot? I'm aware of all the nuances of acting PIC, sole manipulator of the controls and all that, but I've always hear that only one person can log XC time.

Is that wrong?
Nope, you got it.

Is that wrong?

61.3(c)(1) and 91.109(b) as long as the pilot is endorsed for the aircraft being flown and current to act as pic. There are a dozen threads about that on this board, and it has been quite educational :)

61.3(c)(1) and 91.109(b) as long as the pilot is endorsed for the aircraft being flown and current to act as pic. There are a dozen threads about that on this board, and it has been quite educational :)
Chris, I think you made the same mistake I originally made. The question isn't about logging PIC, it's about logging XC PIC time! (And I think your second reference is supposed to be 91.109(c)) For XC time, we need to look at 61.1(4). All the definitions include a point of landing, and, during takeoff and landing, the safety pilot isn't a required crewmember and therefore cannot log them. Mxalix258 seems to understand that.

Chris, I think you made the same mistake I originally made. The question isn't about logging PIC, it's about logging XC PIC time! (And I think your second reference is supposed to be 91.109(c)) For XC time, we need to look at 61.1(4). All the definitions include a point of landing, and, during takeoff and landing, the safety pilot isn't a required crewmember and therefore cannot log them. Mxalix258 seems to understand that.

Hm. That is interesting. You are saying that, unless the safety pilot was pic during takeoff and landing phases of flight, they can't log XC. Since most IR candidates are looking for XC time, this makes the safety pilot gig less attractive unless one is switching off PIC legs with the other pilot (which is still valid and valuable).

I probably typoed the second reference. I was on my phone in Panera =)

Hm. That is interesting. You are saying that, unless the safety pilot was pic during takeoff and landing phases of flight, they can't log XC. Since most IR candidates are looking for XC time, this makes the safety pilot gig less attractive unless one is switching off PIC legs with the other pilot (which is still valid and valuable).

Here are three Chief Counsel letters that deal with the subject of safety pilots logging X-C.

Attachments

• Safety Pilot Can't Log X-C (Gebhardt).pdf
    270.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Safety Pilot Can't Log X-C (Glenn).pdf
    604.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Safety Pilot Can't Log XC {Hilliard).pdf
    315.7 KB · Views: 4

Yup. See the letters ghogue posted for references. And I figured the reference was a typo. I just wanted to get the right reference in here for anyone researching it in the future.

I'm in Northern CA if anyone is looking for a safety pilot...

Last edited:
I had a couple people to safety pilot for regularly before I moved and could use a couple local pilots! Philly area pilots feel free to pm me.

I would ask instructors to refer their students to you who want to get up and fly more often but have a tighter budget. My instructor got me set up with a couple of his students. The first time up I rode along during a lesson to get introduced to them and familiar with the plane, etc.

Unless the safety pilot holds a CP or better, just leave the subject of money out of it and you'll be fine with the FAA.
That may be a wise political decision, depending on the local circumstances, but just to clarify in my own mind; the restriction on PP being compensated is when acting as PIC, so there would be no legal restriction from compensating a safety pilot, or any other cockpit assistant, provided they are not acting PIC, right?

That may be a wise political decision, depending on the local circumstances, but just to clarify in my own mind; the restriction on PP being compensated is when acting as PIC, so there would be no legal restriction from compensating a safety pilot, or any other cockpit assistant, provided they are not acting PIC, right?

If you are paying for the plane why would the safety pilot want any money? I would think that going flying would be enough compensation.

Anybody in the NYC area looking for a safety pilot?

So, if you agree to act as safety pilot, are you going to ask to see the plane's maintenance records?

If you are paying for the plane why would the safety pilot want any money? I would think that going flying would be enough compensation.

Agreed. I'd be happy to be safety pilot for anyone in the Boston area just to enjoy the view.

Anybody in Santa Fe/Albuquerque can feel free to shoot me a PM as well.

FYI - Looks like imcclub.org has a list of safety pilots as well. I'm only 1.8 into IFR training but for $36 looks like a good resource.

I just look in the right seat for mine. Given he last "interpretation" out of the FAA, she can even safety pilot under IFR.

Looking for a safety pilot in the ND area!

Those of you looking for a safety pilot I recommend you add what aircraft your flying. It will make a difference in who contacts you.

Those of you looking for a safety pilot I recommend you add what aircraft your flying. It will make a difference in who contacts you.

I forgot the reason why I started posting, :mad2:. If anyone wants me as a safety pilot and I have time I'll be happy to help out. Live in northern AZ.

We need a google map of volunteers.. That way you can look and see who is realistically near you..

We need a google map of volunteers.. That way you can look and see who is realistically near you..

Yes, and we need a new thread too (sticky perhaps). I doubt many people will find this on the 3rd page of this one.

A sticky would be a great idea. For the sake of this thread, I'd be a safety pilot for anyone in the N. Cal area.

KUAO (Aurora Oregon) - seeking & offering Safety Pilot. I'm starting soon, so I'll be looking for a SP soon. I'm legal VFR, so I can help now. Aircraft is Grumman Tiger.

Last edited:

Does anyone know how to make one? I'd make one if I knew how.

So if anyone here knows how to make one and has time for it it would be great if you could make one.

A lot of instructors I know disagree with that opinion.

Originally Posted by rrmkru
A lot of instructors I know disagree with that opinion.
One might counter that statement with the proposition that the value of the service provided by a Private Pilot safety pilot is of such lower value than flight training from a CFI that the flight time the PP can log free (yes, the Chief Counsel says that's OK) is sufficient return for providing that service, but the flight time alone is not sufficient compensation for professional flight training from a CFI.

One might counter that statement with the proposition that the value of the service provided by a Private Pilot safety pilot is of such lower value than flight training from a CFI that the flight time the PP can log free (yes, the Chief Counsel says that's OK) is sufficient return for providing that service, but the flight time alone is not sufficient compensation for professional flight training from a CFI.

If you take a Private Pilot with 100 hours and CFI with a couple of thousand than I'd agree with you. However if your Private Pilot is ex-military, has a few thousand hours, and couple of hundred combat hours vs a CFI who just got hit ratting I'd pay much more for the Private Pilot.

See normally we think of Private Pilots that are flying as safety pilots as completely unexperiences people who are desperately trying to build flight time. I think this point of view is wrong and there are plenty of Private Pilots who are willing to be safety pilots simply for the purpose of being a safety pilot and helping out.

Depending on how long we are flying, I may expect a hamburger.

I'm out of KHYI - San Marcos, Texas. I can safety pilot and if you buy me a hamburger I'll be your friend forever.

I am happy to act as safety pilot, any ASEL. South Florida. Will fly for food. I am not looking to do PIC as safety pilot and won't be logging time. I think that tends to be abused as, in my experience, most rental and club aircraft require legal PIC to be sitting left seat and then there are also insurance issues as to who can be legal PIC. So unless it is an airplane I already have access to, I don't do PIC.

Back