How to find a good CPA

N1429A

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
N1429A
I've always done my own taxes, but my salary is high enough now, and own an aircraft in an LLC that it's probably a bad idea to be doing it myself. But I trust myself more than any CPA I've talked to in the past. Suggestions?

And don't suggest AOPA referral service. Already tried that.

Finding a good CPA is hard. I've been through 2 now and trying to find another currently. We have an LLC with rental properties and a renovation company in it and another LLC with an apartment complex in it. So finding a CPA well versed in realestate is a pain. I didn't help you any but you will likely have to try one and move to another if you don't like. We did get suggestions on Facebook groups and from those in similar situations. It's not fun, good luck.

I've always done my own taxes, but my salary is high enough now, and own an aircraft in an LLC that it's probably a bad idea to be doing it myself. But I trust myself more than any CPA I've talked to in the past. Suggestions?

And don't suggest AOPA referral service. Already tried that.

I don’t think you ever get to the point where you can hire someone and hand over the task. It’s unlikely that your CPA understands your business, they ask the same questions over and over again (and bill you over and over again), and they end up screwing it up. You end up having to manage them. Best bet is to hire someone to do the manual work then you have to check it for errors. CPA in my experience means nothing…

We got caught up in some data-collection audit awhile back, and asked around to CPAs who we wanted to assist with our defense -- and everyone pointed to "that firm" -- so maybe you should suggest to some local accountants that you're being audited and need help, and see who they point to? If you're near Los Angeles, I can happily recommend the firm we used.

I'm in the same "I trust my own work over any CPA I've ever met" though.

That's a wild first post. :)

Ask your attorney. Or ask somebody you trust that owns a local successful company.
Who has an attorney? That seems even harder to find than a CPA would be. Under what circumstances would someone without a CPA have an attorney?

Suggestions?
The main reason I went the CPA route was due to the ever changing IRS rules and the money I was "leaving on the table" when I did my own taxes for several different income streams and various investments. So I asked around to everyone I could think of and anybody who would answer my questions when looking for a "good" CPA and found several who fit my requirements. Selected one small 2 person firm whom I've been with since 1999 and never looked back even after I retired early. A CPA that works with you is definitely a plus in my book. Good luck.

You might ask your CFP for a recommendation. That's how I found the law firm I used to set up our family trust.

If searching on your own, pose a basic math problem to candidate CPAs, such as "How much is 2 plus 3?" A bad CPA will say "Five." A good CPA will say "How much do you want it to be?"

Back