How to find a CFI (Chicagoland)

youngd24

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DY
I’m guessing this isn’t anything new but I’m a middle-aged guy that’s wanted to learn to fly forever and now might actually have the ability (time and money) to learn. I’ve always loved aviation, built model and RC planes growing up, have gone to any airshow I can get to and over the past decade have gotten to fly in several warbirds.

I’ve gone on a couple “discovery flights” at KPWK recently just to see how I’d feel behind the controls and at least attempt to judge how good/bad I am. I kept the 172 straight and level most of the time though I tended to lose altitude in turns. I’m no ace but I didn’t completely suck (I think).

So, the question is where to go next. There’s no way I can do a full-time training program, gotta work to pay for things, so I’ve been looking at part 61 options. I can commit to a few days a month to fly, weekends of course given work, and wonder if it’s acrually possible at that rate to do it? I’d worry about getting rusty between flights but at this point I know what I can and cannot do around work.

I’ve looked around the Chicago area and see many flight schools but before I dug in and researched wanted to see how others have gone about it when you still have a full-time+ job. Any recommendations around Chicago?

If you can fly a few days per month, I don't see how you should not be able to make it. Probably take a year or so. I pretty much do my training that way and it adds some time but I don't mind. If you stick with one instructor, you will minimize the lost time so find a career instructor, not a young time-builder with his eye on the airlines. Also, I don't see why you cannot go to a Part 141 school. Am I missing something there?

Are you able to schedule at least one day a week to go for flight training? Or even better two days a week? Or even better, three days a week?

Are you able to schedule at least one day a week to go for flight training? Or even better two days a week? Or even better, three days a week?
I could schedule 1 a week max right now. Wish I could do more but my work commute consumes a part-time job and basically eliminates weekdays. Also have some weekend commitments that can’t be changed including work once every 4 weeks being on call.

If you can fly a few days per month, I don't see how you should not be able to make it. Probably take a year or so. I pretty much do my training that way and it adds some time but I don't mind. If you stick with one instructor, you will minimize the lost time so find a career instructor, not a young time-builder with his eye on the airlines. Also, I don't see why you cannot go to a Part 141 school. Am I missing something there?
I was mentally adding up 12-18 months depending on weather, now would be bad, Chicago winter... Would also depend on how long I learn things, etc.

I could schedule 1 a week max right now. Wish I could do more but my work commute consumes a part-time job and basically eliminates weekdays.

One a week will get you there. The important thing is 1. start and 2. keep going.

Regarding the cold, bundle up and see No. 1 above.

One a week will get you there. The important thing is 1. start and 2. keep going.

Regarding the cold, bundle up and see No. 1 above.
I can schedule 3 of 4 weekends so if weather sucks on Saturday I can keep Sunday open to fly. Just need an instructor that can work with me.

Cold I don’t mind, it’s Chicago.

I can totally see the established, career, instructor. One of the young guys I had on a discovery flight seemed like he was just eyeing flying jets and did what he had to do to get there. Wasn’t terribly comfortable with him.

I can schedule 3 of 4 weekends so if weather sucks on Saturday I can keep Sunday open to fly. Just need an instructor that can work with me.

Cold I don’t mind, it’s Chicago.

Great. Any instructor will work with you on your schedule. That is what they do.

Great. Any instructor will work with you on your schedule. That is what they do.
So I guess I just hit the ‘Net and start calling around or are there places to look for CFI’s, maybe ones that meet certain criteria (like time doing it)?

So I guess I just hit the ‘Net and start calling around or are there places to look for CFI’s, maybe ones that meet certain criteria (like time doing it)?

Your best bet is to wait around here and see what advice you get for schools/CFI's in your area.

Your best bet is to wait around here and see what advice you get for schools/CFI's in your area.
Thanks. I live in the SW ‘burbs but am certainly willing to drive. I’m close to KMDW, maybe 15 minutes in non-rush traffic, 30 from KORD and could get to KARR, KDPA, KPWK and KLOT easily and nearly any other one in 60-90 minutes depending on traffic. Though, I wouldn’t mind being away from the ORD Bravo and MDW Charlie airspace, I’m right by both.

I think we have several Chicago folk on the board... they are more active at night.

I wonder if Dr. Bruce (@bbchien) of Bolingbrook could recommend a CFI.

@youngd24 ... do you have your medical certification done yet?

I think we have several Chicago folk on the board... they are more active at night.

I wonder if Dr. Bruce (@bbchien) of Bolingbrook could recommend a CFI.

@youngd24 ... do you have your medical certification done yet?
No, that’s next on the list, found a doc in Willowbrook (which is close).

You're in the SW burbs but training at PWK? Do you work up that way?

Options all around you SW.

I would check out the flight school at Clow. They have a Champ which would be a blast to do initial training in. Seems like a good "neighborhood" feel at the flight school. There's a restaurant on the field too.

The Champ would be great to learn on (and I believe Dr Bruce is based there).

LOT is a bit of a mad house because of the Lewis flight school operations. I don't know who's training at JOT now (flight school). I'm sure there are folks around. Lansing, I thought, used to have a nice operation.

Visit some flight schools. You have to like the people and the CFI. Not just "they're ok". You're going to be in a cockpit for 60-100 hours and the pre and post briefing several hours with this guy or gal. If you don't click, move on.

My experience, the further away the school, the lower the likelihood you'll finish. Look for something close.

On top of your commute, you'll eventually have to pre flight the plane, fuel the plane etc. the time adds up.

I agree with above. 1. Start. 2. Keep good mg. 3. Don't be afraid to switch instructors or schools.

You're not headed to the airlines or military. This is supposed to be fun. If you don't feel comfortable to make mistakes (without being judged) and feel safe, get a new instructor.

It's a lot of time in a tight space. If your CFI is pompous or a dick, you're wasting your time and money.

OH - and how you perform in your first several hours is little indication of how talented a pilot you will be.

In almost all cases that's determined by attitude. Your approach to learning and safety.

Don't give up. Realize you're not immortal. Read everything you can get your hands on.

You're in the SW burbs but training at PWK? Do you work up that way?

Options all around you SW.

I would check out the flight school at Clow. They have a Champ which would be a blast to do initial training in. Seems like a good "neighborhood" feel at the flight school. There's a restaurant on the field too.

The Champ would be great to learn on (and I believe Dr Bruce is based there).

LOT is a bit of a mad house because of the Lewis flight school operations. I don't know who's training at JOT now (flight school). I'm sure there are folks around. Lansing, I thought, used to have a nice operation.

Visit some flight schools. You have to like the people and the CFI. Not just "they're ok". You're going to be in a cockpit for 60-100 hours and the pre and post briefing several hours with this guy or gal. If you don't click, move on.

My experience, the further away the school, the lower the likelihood you'll finish. Look for something close.

On top of your commute, you'll eventually have to pre flight the plane, fuel the plane etc. the time adds up.

I agree with above. 1. Start. 2. Keep good mg. 3. Don't be afraid to switch instructors or schools.

You're not headed to the airlines or military. This is supposed to be fun. If you don't feel comfortable to make mistakes (without being judged) and feel safe, get a new instructor.

It's a lot of time in a tight space. If your CFI is pompous or a dick, you're wasting your time and money.
Excellent info, I’ll call over to Clow, it’s closer anyways.

OH - and how you perform in your first several hours is little indication of how talented a pilot you will be.

In almost all cases that's determined by attitude. Your approach to learning and safety.

Don't give up. Realize you're not immortal. Read everything you can get your hands on.
Well, I’m old enough now to know that one and have learned how to learn a bit over the decades. It’s a ton of info though and it’s moving at light speed, it’ll just take time. And a good instructor.

No, that’s next on the list, found a doc in Willowbrook (which is close).

Since you don't have your medical yet and this is the first time you're doing one, let's make sure you become knowledgeable about other things the FAA is going to ask.

Below is one of my copy/paste items about the FAA application for a medical certificate.

To gain confidence, and more importantly, knowledge, of what is involved with obtaining your first medical certificate, start by reviewing the instruction manual for MedXpress, the FAA's online form for applying for a medical. You can find that here: https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/Content/Docs/MedXPressUsersGuide.pdf

Scroll down to page 24 of 36. This is where they ask about any medications you are currently taking (Question 17). If there are none, move to the next section. But if there are some, you will be asked to list the names, dosage, and frequency. Most medications are permitted. Some medications are not permitted and will be a show stopper. Others may be an indicator of a medical item that the FAA will want to know more about. In many cases, the FAA will need a letter from your treating doctor that mention the medications, why they were prescribed, and how well they are helping you. During the examination, the Aviation Medical Examiner will ask questions about the medications and the doctors letter, fill in some blanks, and make notations on his side of the application form.

Now scroll down to page 26 of 36. This is the medical history section (Question 18). An important phrase here is "Have you ever in your life..." Review these items and see if any should be answered yes. If one or more is answered yes, then definitely do not go to an AME to obtain a medical certificate until you thoroughly know what the FAA is going to want to know about the item you checked as yes.

Some of these are minor and the documentation required is also minor. Others are big, BIG things, and while they might not be show stoppers, you will have to obtain more things that are the right things and in the right format and order in order to satisfy the FAA.

Again, do not go to an AME for a live exam until you know what information and documentation the FAA wants for the item(s) you marked "yes"​

How do you find out what the FAA wants? The best way is to have a consultation visit with an AME. This visit does not get reported to the FAA. All it is is a information gather visit with the medical examiner to find out what you need to obtain. If you are unable to find an AME in your area to do this, then reach out to Dr. Bruce Chien in Bolingbrook, IL, www.aeromedicaldoc.com Dr. Bruce is a member here and can answer your questions online. But direct emails are often more efficient and allow him to discuss things in a way he cannot on a public form.

Another important area of Question 18 is Question 18v. Alcohol and drug related motor vehicle actions. Question 18v asks about a history of “arrests or convictions involving driving while intoxicated by, while impaired by, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug.” This would include arrests or convictions for offenses that were reduced to a lower offense, such as careless driving. This also includes offenses that were expunged by the courts after a certain time period. Pilots who have been ticketed for operating under the influence while driving a golf cart or a boat have also been required to report these offenses. Remember, your signature on the Form authorizes the FAA to search the National Drivers Register.

Do not try to lie or fib or skirt the issue here.... if you are found out... it is major bad voodoo.

If you do have an alcohol offense in your past, it is not a showstopper. But there will be some added steps to demonstrate to the FAA that you are worthy of the certificate in spite of alcohol being a part of your past life.

Moving on, look at page 28 of 36 and Question 19, which asks questions about medical professionals. If all of your past doctor visits have been routine things with no major medical issues. Then the FAA will say all is good, thanks for telling us about the visits. But if there were visits for particular medical things, then additional explanations about the reason for the visit, and the doctor's findings will be needed.

I hope this helps. Do continue to ask questions as you think of them.

And emphasis to not go to the medical examiner until you are way more than 100% certain you will be issued. If any doubt, remain in consultation mode until all doubts are dealt with.

Excellent info, I’ll call over to Clow, it’s closer anyways.
If that is near Bolingbrook, go find Dr. Bruce Chien and invite him to lunch. You won't regret the experience nor the solid connection to an excellent aviator, CFI, and one of the most knowledgeable and caring medical examiners in that part of the woods.

Since you don't have your medical yet and this is the first time you're doing one, let's make sure you become knowledgeable about other things the FAA is going to ask.

Below is one of my copy/paste items about the FAA application for a medical certificate.

To gain confidence, and more importantly, knowledge, of what is involved with obtaining your first medical certificate, start by reviewing the instruction manual for MedXpress, the FAA's online form for applying for a medical. You can find that here: https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/Content/Docs/MedXPressUsersGuide.pdf

Scroll down to page 24 of 36. This is where they ask about any medications you are currently taking (Question 17). If there are none, move to the next section. But if there are some, you will be asked to list the names, dosage, and frequency. Most medications are permitted. Some medications are not permitted and will be a show stopper. Others may be an indicator of a medical item that the FAA will want to know more about. In many cases, the FAA will need a letter from your treating doctor that mention the medications, why they were prescribed, and how well they are helping you. During the examination, the Aviation Medical Examiner will ask questions about the medications and the doctors letter, fill in some blanks, and make notations on his side of the application form.

Now scroll down to page 26 of 36. This is the medical history section (Question 18). An important phrase here is "Have you ever in your life..." Review these items and see if any should be answered yes. If one or more is answered yes, then definitely do not go to an AME to obtain a medical certificate until you thoroughly know what the FAA is going to want to know about the item you checked as yes.

Some of these are minor and the documentation required is also minor. Others are big, BIG things, and while they might not be show stoppers, you will have to obtain more things that are the right things and in the right format and order in order to satisfy the FAA.

Again, do not go to an AME for a live exam until you know what information and documentation the FAA wants for the item(s) you marked "yes"​

How do you find out what the FAA wants? The best way is to have a consultation visit with an AME. This visit does not get reported to the FAA. All it is is a information gather visit with the medical examiner to find out what you need to obtain. If you are unable to find an AME in your area to do this, then reach out to Dr. Bruce Chien in Bolingbrook, IL, www.aeromedicaldoc.com Dr. Bruce is a member here and can answer your questions online. But direct emails are often more efficient and allow him to discuss things in a way he cannot on a public form.

Another important area of Question 18 is Question 18v. Alcohol and drug related motor vehicle actions. Question 18v asks about a history of “arrests or convictions involving driving while intoxicated by, while impaired by, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug.” This would include arrests or convictions for offenses that were reduced to a lower offense, such as careless driving. This also includes offenses that were expunged by the courts after a certain time period. Pilots who have been ticketed for operating under the influence while driving a golf cart or a boat have also been required to report these offenses. Remember, your signature on the Form authorizes the FAA to search the National Drivers Register.

Do not try to lie or fib or skirt the issue here.... if you are found out... it is major bad voodoo.

If you do have an alcohol offense in your past, it is not a showstopper. But there will be some added steps to demonstrate to the FAA that you are worthy of the certificate in spite of alcohol being a part of your past life.

Moving on, look at page 28 of 36 and Question 19, which asks questions about medical professionals. If all of your past doctor visits have been routine things with no major medical issues. Then the FAA will say all is good, thanks for telling us about the visits. But if there were visits for particular medical things, then additional explanations about the reason for the visit, and the doctor's findings will be needed.

And emphasis to not go to the medical examiner until you are way more than 100% certain you will be issued. If any doubt, remain in consultation mode until all doubts are dealt with.

Thanks, I’ve read it over a bit and will read more but from what I’ve seen I have no issues that stand out. Had a couple spine fusions but that’s the worst but really good idea for the consult, I didn’t know that was an option.

Thanks, I’ve read it over a bit and will read more but from what I’ve seen I have no issues that stand out. Had a couple spine fusions but that’s the worst but really good idea for the consult, I didn’t know that was an option.
Yup... for the fusion, gathering up all of the medical records that led to, made during, and made after the procedure can be a worthwhile exercise.

At the least, the AME will ask some questions about it, observe your mobility, then make some notes in his section of the form. At worst the FAA is going to want to know everything about it down to who did the fusing and what the scrub nurse had for breakfast.

Having all the records before the official exam will make the process go much smoother than getting surprised and then on a very short deadline to obtain them.

The consult will help you know what is needed and determine if the AME you are consulting with is the right AME for you and if he or she is willing to be your advocate as the application makes its way through the system.

More info about consults at https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/order-of-training.109548/#post-2481424

I'm in the western burbs and my training encompassed winter months. yes, there were more re-skeds and cancellations due to weather than in the nicer weather but it's doable. I'm assuming you're on the north side since your discovery flight was out of PWK. I trained at JA Air at KARR.

I'm in the western burbs and my training encompassed winter months. yes, there were more re-skeds and cancellations due to weather than in the nicer weather but it's doable. I'm assuming you're on the north side since your discovery flight was out of PWK. I trained at JA Air at KARR.
SW burbs, there was a Groupon for the PWK ones, saved a bit that way.

- Clow "Intl" (1C5) in Bolingbrook might be a good fit. A&M Aviation.
- KARR is actually in Sugar Grove but the airport is ownef by the City of Aurora. too far for you?
- KLOT at lewis university in romeoville has a full fledged aviation program.
- KJOT in Joliet. supposed to be flight training at JF Aviation

if you want to learn at a towered field then KARR is probably your closest option. KDPA in West Chicago is also towered and there are several schools on the field but might be farther for you. the other fields i listed are all non-towered.

good luck.

Second KJOT for flight training. Bob takes excellent care of the planes. Great rate, small airport feel. Nick M. and Van are two great instructors. Very easy to work with and have a great teaching relationship with everyone. Usually pretty flexible as well. Great rental rates ($85/hr wet for a 150, $135/hr wet for a 172).

Older planes for sure but they mechanically are in excellent shape and cosmetically fairly good. Great group and airport down there!!

Back