How to file/get clearance.

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Leaving from 32S rwy 30, the departure procedure is to right turn to heading 025 and intercept the MSO VOR R-160 (The MSO VOR is about 22 miles almost directly north), when reaching the VOR climb in the hold to 13,000.

Then, I want to do the VOR/DME A approach at KMSO, the IAF is identified as 6 DME from the VOR.

So there's really not much enroute stuff going on here, a departure procedure pretty much straight into an approach.

How would I file this? The briefer just said 32S direct to the MSO VOR but, I don't want to fly direct, I want to intercepted the MSO R-160 radial and fly that in, it's not on an airway.

That's my first problem.

My 2nd Problem is, how do you pickup your departure clearance? at 32S radio contact is spotty for contacting Spokane approach.

So, I'm thinking do my preflight, pull the plane out of the hangar. climb in call them on the phone and ask for a 15 minutes clearance void time, to give me time to startup taxi, run-up and go.

I'd file direct and use the ODP, unless ATC gives you a clearance with specific departure instructions. AIM 5-2-8 mentions that "ODPs are recommended for obstacle clearance and may be flown without ATC clearance unless an alternate departure procedure (SID or radar vector) has been specifically assigned by ATC."

As far as getting your clearance goes, if you have a cell phone you can try using the FSS national clearance delivery number (888-766-8267, IIRC... should be in the A/FD)

I'd file direct and use the ODP, unless ATC gives you a clearance with specific departure instructions. AIM 5-2-8 mentions that "ODPs are recommended for obstacle clearance and may be flown without ATC clearance unless an alternate departure procedure (SID or radar vector) has been specifically assigned by ATC."

As far as getting your clearance goes, if you have a cell phone you can try using the FSS national clearance delivery number (888-766-8267, IIRC... should be in the A/FD)

Yeah, I have the cell phone, problem is I have to shutdown to hear them and they gave me clearance void time of 5 minutes after I've sat on the ramp for 15 minutes waiting on them, then they proceeded to read NOTAMs for 2.5 minutes and I had to start up, taxi, twist all the knobs, play with the GPS and be in the air, calling up approach in about 150 seconds.

You need Bluetooth.

:yeahthat:

Bluetooth is probably the main reason I'd consider upgrading to an expensive lightspeed or bose headset from my DC 10-13.4. Getting a clearance over the phone without it is a huge pain in the arse.

I have a Droid X phone blue toothed into my A20 headset, I can even voice dial in flight and have done so many times. Problem is, the CFII sitting next to me can't hear me get the clearance and double check me. We're just kind of in a rush and I was looking for a better option. I think from now on I'll just beg for more time.

Last edited:
File to the VOR and then the IAF. The ODP is implied but you could put "32S rwy 30 ODP" in the remarks if you like.
If there's no RCO, you can't reach approach from the ground, they won't give you a long enough void time and your CFII doesn't trust you to copy the clearance yourself then one long shot option is to try relaying through another aircraft on freq. But you should just do it yourself with the bluetooth, you still have to read it back to FSS/ATC so the CFII is a redundant double check anyway.

You need Bluetooth.
Or a more reasonable void time. Ten minutes used to be the norm when the only option was calling from the pay phone (remember those) on the wall of the terminal building.

Once you get checked out, you can file with FSS, depart VFR and activate in the air.

So, I'm thinking do my preflight, pull the plane out of the hangar. climb in call them on the phone and ask for a 15 minutes clearance void time, to give me time to startup taxi, run-up and go.

That's what I do, I'll file, get everything ready and call up for my clear clearance.

I generally get everything as ready as I can and get the clearance before I start the engine. The spinning hobbs isn't cheap and they'll give you about as much time as you need in the great midwest.

File to the VOR and then the IAF. The ODP is implied but you could put "32S rwy 30 ODP" in the remarks if you like.
If there's no RCO, you can't reach approach from the ground, they won't give you a long enough void time and your CFII doesn't trust you to copy the clearance yourself then one long shot option is to try relaying through another aircraft on freq. But you should just do it yourself with the bluetooth, you still have to read it back to FSS/ATC so the CFII is a redundant double check anyway.

There is an RCO on 122.45, according to the A/FD.

Bob Gardner

I see that mentioned on MSO's page in the A/FD, but not under 32S... am I looking in the wrong spot? You could also get it from the sectional chart. Looks like it's on a mountain top about 15 miles away, ought to work okay but then why don't they mention it in the A/FD? Bart, try it and report back :)

No chart in front of me but I'm very familiar with that RCO, it's Great Falls RCO on Miller Peak. Tough to get on the ground at 32S. I do have a new radio and it seems to do very well, My CFIs plane has an old Mitchell or something. I think i can reach em but I guess his last experience trying using the radio in the plane went bad so he wants to use the phone, I may insist on giving it a try from the plane the next time around. Or I may just go out there today and open a VFR flight plan on the ground with the RCO and dial in 124.9 and see what's going on in Spokane :)

I've tried to use a GCO at two airports, no joy on either try. Its 4 clicks right? The GCO was listed on the approach plate for that particular airport.

When i've used the phone for clearance delivery, its been a PITA. Always a long wait.

Last edited:
I've tried to use a GCO at two airports, no joy on either try. Its 4 clicks right? The GCO was listed on the approach plate for that particular airport.

When i've used the phone for clearance delivery, its been a PITA. Always a long wait.

They say I'm on some sort of airspace shelf and they have to coordinate it with three different sets of ATC facilities.

Sorry to necropost, but if you prefer to get the clearance with everything shutdown, then have a nice, leisurely start-up without feeling like your back is against the wall, then ask for a delayed release time. There's nothing that says they have to give you a release that's valid right away.

When they ask how long before you're ready to go, ask for a 10 minute window, starting in 10 minutes from now. You'll be more likely to get that than asking for a 20 minute window, the first 10 of which are useless to you because there's no way you'll be ready in time.

Sorry to necropost, but if you prefer to get the clearance with everything shutdown, then have a nice, leisurely start-up without feeling like your back is against the wall, then ask for a delayed release time. There's nothing that says they have to give you a release that's valid right away.

When they ask how long before you're ready to go, ask for a 10 minute window, starting in 10 minutes from now. You'll be more likely to get that than asking for a 20 minute window, the first 10 of which are useless to you because there's no way you'll be ready in time.
Some places you can get that. Many you can't. It's all about how much traffic there is. And there's usually no need to get a delayed release time in that situation -- if they can give you a delayed release time, they can usually give you a longer void time valid to the same end time.

they can usually give you a longer void time valid to the same end time.

I'm guessing you mean an earlier release time with the same end (void) time.

I fly out of a non-towered airport surrounded by two non-radar towered airports (MMU and CDW). If there's a jet on the ILS into MMU, you're not going to get a release right now, but they will potentially give you one 5 mins from now.

I agree with you that it's not going to work everywhere, but it will work in SOME places...and it will work better than trying to get a 20 minute release window if you only need 5-10 mins in 5-10 mins from now.

It's another tool for the box.

Put earbuds in ears. Stuff the rice grain mic into the headset ear cup. Put on headset. As long as your intercom provides side tone, everything works like a champ.
I consider your 20 min window/req, unacceptably rude.

Back