How to enter the "culture"

joeparrilla

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JoeP
Hey guys,

So being from a non-aviation family and not having any aviation interested friends... I find myself counting the days until each lesson in order to get some social interaction with actual people who share my love.

What are some ways that you guys bring more of the aviation culture into your lives? What sort of cool things can I do to help surround myself with more like-minded people? I really want to surround myself with more people who are passionate about this, and hear less about how I am spending way too much money and risking my life....

Hey guys,

So being from a non-aviation family and not having any aviation interested friends... I find myself counting the days until each lesson in order to get some social interaction with actual people who share my love.

What are some ways that you guys bring more of the aviation culture into your lives? What sort of cool things can I do to help surround myself with more like-minded people? I really want to surround myself with more people who are passionate about this, and hear less about how I am spending way too much money and risking my life....

EAA or a flying club are good places to start.

Ditto what Danger said, find your local Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Chapter (http://www.eaa.org/chapters/locator/).

Look for local flying clubs, Confederate Air Force (CAF) wings (http://commemorativeairforce.org/?page=cms/googleMap&cms_page=1333).

See if SocialFlight has any events in your area (www.socialflight.com).

Check for upcoming airshows and events in your area (http://www.airshows.aero/Page/ASCalendar).

Find any local aviation museum that might have volunteer opportunities.

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association might be helpful (www.aopa.org).

Lots of type specific clubs and forums as well if there are any airplanes or types of flying that really float your boat (e.g., International Aerobatics Club www.iac.org, www.biplaneforum.com/forum.php, www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/forum.php).

Welcome and good luck!

'Gimp

Last edited:
Our chief instructor sponsors movie night once a month, in the briefing room. Always aviation themed. Last one was "Spirit of St. Louis." Most of them you've never heard of.

No one else seems to do that, and it strikes me as an excellent low cost idea.

Once you get your ticket, there are POA fly-ins. Very informal, usually someplace nice and accessible (no IFR, no high terrain).

Where are you?

Last edited:
Joe,

I have 4 airports all about 12 miles away from me in three different directions. In less than 18 minutes I can get from my house to any one of those airports on any morning. I alternate going to each of those airports a different one each day for a 30-45 minute walk around the flight line or in the case of a TSA security zone, walk outside the gate and visit the two or three FBO's for free coffee and cookies chat up the gals in the office meet other aviators in the pilots lounges.

About once a week I go to my air field just to sweep the hangar, clean the plane from dust, ad water and beer to the cooler. Check to see if the tools are rusting and need greasing. Fly the airplane for 45 minutes or so.

I go to as many Sun N Fun's and other fly ins as reasonably possible. I try and arrange to meet other AOPA and forum members from across the country that I might know only through their logon avatar. My brother got me into aviation so we often fly at least one 'brother trip' a year where we go to Florida, NYC, California and Savannah, GA we also do the International Comanche Society fly-ins and meet other Comanche owners. Our mid-western Tribe meets almost every weekend that has non severe weather.

At first after getting my student lic., I subscribed to at least three airplane magazines, soon friends and family gave me mag subscriptions as x-mas and birthday gifts. I logon here to chat and argue with fellow aviators, airplane owners and friends.

If you put a "I'd rather be flying" sticker in your car other aviators may come up to you and start a conversation. On weekends I often wear one of my AOPA or ICS shirts that have my Tail Sign embroidered on it and I might meet someone at Home Depot or Lowes who is a pilot.

At my company/office I have photos of my planes and people will bring up the airplanes and ask if I am pilot so we can talk about that.

You can fly your plane to small local fly ins and chat with other pilots or the people who come to those fly ins to see the airplanes and talk about your plane and experiences. Even if you bring a rental it makes for a nice few hours.

You might consider pilots and paws donate flights paid by you to move dogs that might be euthanized to areas where they are adopted. when you get IFR and 300 hrs you might be able to fly Angel flights where you move patience and families of same to get critical care.

There is at least one VET organization which helps vets and active service members get around the country once they get back to stateside saving them costs of tickets.

Many others achieve PPL and then on to IFR and then Commercial and CFI and CFII or even ATP. Not as a requirement of a job but for self satisfaction and to perfect their skill.

When I travel across country for winter vacation or summer vacations I usually try and look up someone local while I am there (that I meet on forums like this). It is a neat way to put a face behind a avatar.

Your level of time, expense and commitment is completely up to you.

Good Luck Joe.

Hey guys,

I was looking into EAA membership. What are some of the main benefits of it?

You get to meet people who have the bug. There also are the usual insurance discounts and such; and they are, in my opinion, the most effective advocacy group for GA.

-Rich

Hang out at the airport and talk to your airport mates

www.meetup.com is another good one, you make a little profile and people post events/flyins and you can RSVP or not.

Go to eaa fly ins,pancake breakfast ,hang around you local airport on week ends. Fly to local smaller airports and the pilots will find you.,

Find a sleepy little country airport without a security fence & go hang out.

That's my airport, just bring lots of food and water cuz you're going to be waiting a while, I haven't seen anyone fly out of it yet. I haven't even seen a hangar door open.... I've been there for 3 weeks and been to the airport half a dozen times. I went out and did 10 stop-and-gos today. First time I've ever seen another human there and it was some guy in his car parked on the X-Wind runway taking pictures.

Our chief instructor sponsors movie night once a month, in the briefing room. Always aviation themed. Last one was "Spirit of St. Louis." Most of them you've never heard of.

No one else seems to do that, and it strikes me as an excellent low cost idea.

Once you get your ticket, there are POA fly-ins. Very informal, usually someplace nice and accessible (no IFR, no high terrain).

Where are you?

Im in Brooklyn NY. Fly out of KISP on Long Island.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free

Joe,

I have 4 airports all about 12 miles away from me in three different directions. In less than 18 minutes I can get from my house to any one of those airports on any morning. I alternate going to each of those airports a different one each day for a 30-45 minute walk around the flight line or in the case of a TSA security zone, walk outside the gate and visit the two or three FBO's for free coffee and cookies chat up the gals in the office meet other aviators in the pilots lounges.

About once a week I go to my air field just to sweep the hangar, clean the plane from dust, ad water and beer to the cooler. Check to see if the tools are rusting and need greasing. Fly the airplane for 45 minutes or so.

I go to as many Sun N Fun's and other fly ins as reasonably possible. I try and arrange to meet other AOPA and forum members from across the country that I might know only through their logon avatar. My brother got me into aviation so we often fly at least one 'brother trip' a year where we go to Florida, NYC, California and Savannah, GA we also do the International Comanche Society fly-ins and meet other Comanche owners. Our mid-western Tribe meets almost every weekend that has non severe weather.

At first after getting my student lic., I subscribed to at least three airplane magazines, soon friends and family gave me mag subscriptions as x-mas and birthday gifts. I logon here to chat and argue with fellow aviators, airplane owners and friends.

If you put a "I'd rather be flying" sticker in your car other aviators may come up to you and start a conversation. On weekends I often wear one of my AOPA or ICS shirts that have my Tail Sign embroidered on it and I might meet someone at Home Depot or Lowes who is a pilot.

At my company/office I have photos of my planes and people will bring up the airplanes and ask if I am pilot so we can talk about that.

You can fly your plane to small local fly ins and chat with other pilots or the people who come to those fly ins to see the airplanes and talk about your plane and experiences. Even if you bring a rental it makes for a nice few hours.

You might consider pilots and paws donate flights paid by you to move dogs that might be euthanized to areas where they are adopted. when you get IFR and 300 hrs you might be able to fly Angel flights where you move patience and families of same to get critical care.

There is at least one VET organization which helps vets and active service members get around the country once they get back to stateside saving them costs of tickets.

Many others achieve PPL and then on to IFR and then Commercial and CFI and CFII or even ATP. Not as a requirement of a job but for self satisfaction and to perfect their skill.

When I travel across country for winter vacation or summer vacations I usually try and look up someone local while I am there (that I meet on forums like this). It is a neat way to put a face behind a avatar.

Your level of time, expense and commitment is completely up to you.

Good Luck Joe.

Wow! Thatd keep me busy. I guess its just about getting out there huh. Great to know there are so many options.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. Its great to know theres a like minded community out there who get together. Maybe Ill see some of you soon!

Last edited:
Just curious, why did you choose Islip over Republic?

Well a few reasons. After doing an extensive search... I had narrowed down to 2 schools. Academy of Aviation at KFRG and Long Island Flying at KISP.

There were a few differences... but the deal breaker for me was that AoA didnt seem to offer a Part 61 program. I have a hectic schedule and cannot commit more than one flight a week right now. I needed a flexible program.. and I was advised by many people that a 144 school may be too rigid for me.

Also, my school has a $130/hr rental cost, which beat the Cessnas at AoA.

I also spoke with representatives at both schools.. and got a better vibe from my school. The AoA was very professional which was good... but my conversations with them made them appear too much like lesson salesman to me. They just kept talking about how they are certified with Cessna, and have a simulator, etc... kind of advertising themselves.

When I spoke with my school, I felt an immediate love for flying from them. The person I spoke with didnt seem concerned with me choosing their school... only that I made the right decision in a school. He gave me the ups and downs of a part 61 program, and seemed very honest about everything and seemed to have my best interest as a priority.

Thats pretty much how I made my decision. Its a bit further of a drive, but I am happy with it. Plus I think the Alarus is way cooler than a 172 :)

Well a few reasons. After doing an extensive search... I had narrowed down to 2 schools. Academy of Aviation at KFRG and Long Island Flying at KISP.

There were a few differences... but the deal breaker for me was that AoA didnt seem to offer a Part 61 program. I have a hectic schedule and cannot commit more than one flight a week right now. I needed a flexible program.. and I was advised by many people that a 144 school may be too rigid for me.

Also, my school has a $130/hr rental cost, which beat the Cessnas at AoA.

I also spoke with representatives at both schools.. and got a better vibe from my school. The AoA was very professional which was good... but my conversations with them made them appear too much like lesson salesman to me. They just kept talking about how they are certified with Cessna, and have a simulator, etc... kind of advertising themselves.

When I spoke with my school, I felt an immediate love for flying from them. The person I spoke with didnt seem concerned with me choosing their school... only that I made the right decision in a school. He gave me the ups and downs of a part 61 program, and seemed very honest about everything and seemed to have my best interest as a priority.

Thats pretty much how I made my decision. Its a bit further of a drive, but I am happy with it. Plus I think the Alarus is way cooler than a 172 :)
I hear ya, I did a lesson with Ben from LIF but ended up with a small club, Positive Rate Gear Up, out of Republic. I'm flying a Warrior II for $114/hr and the instructor is $35/hr. The club dues are $50 every 6 months.

Find the local fly ins in your area, and drive to them. Not only join the local EAA chapter, but Get involved with their activities, fund raisers, poker runs, young eagle rides, ext. You don't need to be a pilot to do any of those things.

Pal up with other students in your area and contacts from the flight school. Go have wings and beers and make it a twice a month deal.

I hear ya, I did a lesson with Ben from LIF but ended up with a small club, Positive Rate Gear Up, out of Republic. I'm flying a Warrior II for $114/hr and the instructor is $35/hr. The club dues are $50 every 6 months.

Oh wow those are great rates. Ben is actually my instructor. Hes really a good guy and seems passionate about aviation.

Oh wow those are great rates. Ben is actually my instructor. Hes really a good guy and seems passionate about aviation.
I liked Ben as well but I think they only had 2 planes and the commute was too much compared to FRG. I work in Plainview so FRG is only 15 minutes from my office

I liked Ben as well but I think they only had 2 planes and the commute was too much compared to FRG. I work in Plainview so FRG is only 15 minutes from my office

Yea. They have 3 Alarus' and a 172 club plane right now. Im on a permanent weekly timeslot so I always have a plane available which is nice. No complaints so far. Hows the Warrior?

There is a glider club a bit further out @ Brookhaven. You want pilots hanging around that is the place. 2 caveats it is a time suck and soaring on LI sucks(ocean suppresses thermals.)

There is a glider club a bit further out @ Brookhaven. You want pilots hanging around that is the place. 2 caveats it is a time suck and soaring on LI sucks(ocean suppresses thermals.)

Awesome thanks for the tip. Yeah I just want to be around pilots... to learn, bull****, whatever.

That's my airport, just bring lots of food and water cuz you're going to be waiting a while, I haven't seen anyone fly out of it yet. I haven't even seen a hangar door open.... I've been there for 3 weeks and been to the airport half a dozen times. I went out and did 10 stop-and-gos today. First time I've ever seen another human there and it was some guy in his car parked on the X-Wind runway taking pictures.[/QUOTE

That is my airport also. In fact before I came on the seen the hangar door was only opened to store more boats and junk in it. The airplanes that sat inside had not moved in almost 20 years.

Back