How to enter pattern

C

CapnMaxxy

Hi,

Sorry for simple question.

Say you are coming in to an uncontrolled field from the east (heading west), and runway 27 is active. If you have to enter on a 45º on base, how would you enter without going the wrong way on downwind first?

I wouldn't do the 45 entry to downwind. I would enter an 'upwind'.

Fly parallel to r/w 27 with the runway on your left. Make your first turn to the left on crosswind after you have passed the end of the runway, and the downwind is clear.

Hi,

Sorry for simple question.

Say you are coming in to an uncontrolled field from the east (heading west), and runway 27 is active. If you have to enter on a 45º on base, how would you enter without going the wrong way on downwind first?

Assuming it is left hand traffic: Angle out to the south prior to arriving at the airport so you are well outside the downwind for 27, then turn in on the 45 entry to the downwind when appropriate.

-Skip

well, lots of opinions on pattern entry. If no other traffic in the area, I'd go straight in for 27.

If there was people in the pattern, I'd probably tend to fly a parallel upwind course, then enter crosswind over the end of RY 9 to the left pattern for 27. this allows me to see everyone in the pattern, and stay left traffic around the airport.

If you needed to enter base leg for some reason, a few minutes planning and when you make a 5 mile call to the airport, begin a turn slightly south, say heading 230. Fly that heading, then turn right to enter the base leg where needed, get established and setup for landing, turn final, and you're in.

Be clear in your location, announce your intention, and listen for traffic.

I'd either do a straight in or a midfield crosswind entry. Some people don't like 'em. They're wrong ;)

Ok. Thanks.

Im sorry. What I meant was 45º on downwind.

I just wasnt sure If I was suppose to fly on the south side ,wide of the airport and then passed it until I was 45º, or If I was supposed to fly on the north side, and then cross over the airport and maneuver in with a teardrop entry.

Ok. Thanks.

I just wasnt sure If I was suppose to fly on the south side ,wide of the airport and then passed it until I was 45º, or If I was supposed to fly on the north side, and then cross over the airport and maneuver in with a teardrop entry.
That's the fun part of uncontrolled airports. Both entries are legal and work just fine. Just keep others informed of your whereabouts and intentions, and keep your eyes moving.

-Skip

That's the fun part of uncontrolled airports. Both entries are legal and work just fine. Just keep others informed of your whereabouts and intentions, and keep your eyes moving.
...and fly like you're the only one who is doing either - because you may be.

Look at the AIM Figure 4-3-2 and 4-3-3. It depicts a single runway and parallel runway operations.

A straight in is not depicted. The only entry shown is on the 45 to downwind.

Look at the AIM Figure 4-3-2 and 4-3-3. It depicts a single runway and parallel runway operations.

A straight in is not depicted. The only entry shown is on the 45 to downwind.

There are other diagrams, located in other REGULATORY documents, that show straight in as being perfectly fine.

AIM is not regulatory.

There are other diagrams, located in other REGULATORY documents, that show straight in as being perfectly fine.

AIM is not regulatory.
Since it seems to be a requirement of others, specify the documents you cite.

From a thread that went much, much longer than this, I give you AC 90-66A Apendix I
attachment.php

Note the word "Recommended" in Paragraph 8. No where else in the text is a straight in landing discussed. But, I would suggest a review in the difference between an "approach" and a "pattern entry."

Note the information on Page 5 of this FAA Newsletter.

From a thread that went much, much longer than this, I give you AC 90-66A Apendix I
attachment.php

And this:

AC 90-66A RECOMMENDED STANDARD TRAFFIC PATTERNS AND PRACTICES FOR AERONAUTICAL OPERATIONS AT AIRPORTS WITHOUT OPERATING CONTROL TOWERS

3. PRINCIPAL CHANGES.
This AC has been updated to reflect current proce-
dures at airports without operating control towers.
Principal changes include: adding on "Other Traffic
Pattern" section, amending appendix charts to remain
consistent with the Airman's Information Manual
(AIM), expanding the "Related Reading Material"
section from "airplane" to "aeronautical" oper-
ations, adding definition and references to, Common
Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF), acknowledging
straight-in approaches are not prohibited but may
be operationally advantageous
, and adding a para-
graph on wake turbulence.

e. The FAA encourages pilots to use the standard
traffic pattern. However, for those pilots who choose
to execute a straight-in approach
, maneuvering for
and execution of the approach should be completed
so as not to disrupt the flow of arriving and
departing traffic. Therefore, pilots operating in the
traffic pattern should be alert at all times to
aircraft executing straight-in approaches.

My feeling is that most pilots are not going to go digging beyond the AIM. Most of the ones I run into in the training environment don't really want to go beyond the FAR part of the book and go through the aim in the first place. Let alone go digging through the AC list for further information.

During flight reviews I tend to see the eyes just gloss over and a blank look when it comes time to talk about regulations and any AIM related issues.

Another two cents...
I know the OP's question specifically adressed how to make a 45-degree entry to downwind for 27 from the east, but here's some general insight on pattern entries at uncontrolled fields, from a non-expert but experienced CTAF user: If you feel you must maneuver as necessary to enter downwind "on a 45", don't fly right to the airport then have to cross over or turn back close to the pattern. Like the "45" entry itself, this can sometimes cause more trouble than it avoids (in terms of seeing and being seen). It can also get confusing.
Better to make your way a few miles to the side, then set the right heading for your entry. But even then, you could find yourself being funneled in with a lot of other traffic... that is, assuming everyone's point of entry onto the downwind leg is the same... which it won't be.
Personally, in the described scenario, I'd pass the field well to the noth and enter on a crosswind, close enough to the west end of the runway to avoid crowding anyone who's turning crosswind after takeoff. To me, this makes more sense than maneuvering around at or near TPA over on the side of the pattern where a lot of other planes may also be maneuvering. Quicker, too, when you think about it. I've found that minimizing your time in or near the pattern (without being stupid about where you enter/exit) is better for everybody.

Another point on the "45 entry": I've often wondered why this is the (unofficial) standard, taught by most flight schools and instructors. If there is someone on downwind, it is almost guaranteed that they will be looking more at the runway than off to the side of the pattern. If they hear you announce, they will probably be looking, but they will also be distracted by making sure their pattern is nice and square. And the pre-landing chores in the cockpit. Then there's the question of where to look! My biggest problem with this type of entry is when I'm on DW and someone calls a 45 entry... where to look? Are they joining it midfield, at the depatrure end, near the approach end... where? Meanwhile I'm low and slow, trying to fly a ground ref maneuver (the pattern) while doing my chores. Doesn't seem safer to me.

And if you are NORDO, they may not check the outside at all. Meanwhile, in most aircraft, if that traffic on downwind is still behind you as you enter on a shallow angle like that, you ain't gonna see them. The radio helps a lot, but seeing and being seen is all that really matters in the end. I know the 45-dgree thing has been the norm for ages, and it usually works, but I don't think it works because it's better than any other entry- it works because pilots are talking, listening, and looking... just like how all the other entries work.

As for how the "45" might enhance safety in the pattern as opposed to crosswind, midfield, or straight-ins: if you consider that most midairs occur in good vis, near airports, with aircraft converging at a fairly shallow angle, not head-on, etc, I don't see the advantage. I'll even stick my head out of the trench here, without a helmet, and say that the good ol' 45 is probably less safe than entering the pattern at a corner, on the average. And how many of those CAVU-day, near-the-airport midairs have occured between aircraft maneuvering for the 45-degree entry itself, I wonder? Maybe sometimes pilots are too distracted by their special pattern-entry-calculating whiz wheels to just look outside?

Sure, not everybody's pattern-corners are in the same place, but entering crosswind or straight-in, you will be more or less on someone's six o'clock or at their three or nine o'clock positions. Much more likely to have visual contact that way, even if one or both of you is not being very vigilant. How often do you check your sevn and five o'clock positions? Be honest, now...how often?

If you are coming straight-in, everyone knows where to look. The runway points right at you. I never turn final without looking that way, myself, just in case. I am happy to work the pattern with someone coming straight in, if they are smart about it. It's not a license to come screaming in from above TPA and "get out of my way- I'm Straigh-In Guy!!" Those types give that entry a bad name.

I also think straight-ins worry some people because they are not sure how to predict when the other plane will be crossing the typical base-leg line, and they are scared to turn their back, so to speak, as they turn base and/or final. But all you have to do is look, like you would on any leg of the pattern, with any other traffic. Right? And yes, as you turn base-to-final, you will not see very well off to the outside, even in a high-wing, but the pilot coming straight-in will see you better because you are showing them the underside of the wing. Ask any glider pilot how this works... whenaver we want to be sure someone nearby can see us, we bank away, 'cuz gliders are very hard to see otherwise. As are most light aircraft! Other traffic seeing you is just as important as you seeing them.

All that being said... entering on base is not too smart in my book, don't fly straight in while zoning in mentally on the runway, radio or no, and if you must cross midfield, don't wait until you're turning downwind to start looking for downwind traffic or traffic entering at 45 degrees.

One more thought: how often does a tower tell you to join downwind at 45 degrees? I don't fly to controlled fields much these days, but I did most of my primary training at TEB, and I never got that instruction. They never said NOT to, but they never said "enter at 45 degrees", even when the pattern was busy.
Is this because somehow Tower can magically keep the pattern safe? No. Most of my closest shaves in the pattern were at controlled fields with Tower active... food for thought.

Last edited:
The 45 degree entry was recommended to give you a better view of the pattern. Not everyone uses a radio. An army green L-2 can be pretty difficult, if not impossible, to see when it is slightly lower. A straight in approach, while not illegal, is not recommended in the AIM for situations such as this.

The 45 degree entry was recommended to give you a better view of the pattern. Not everyone uses a radio. An army green L-2 can be pretty difficult, if not impossible, to see when it is slightly lower. A straight in approach, while not illegal, is not recommended in the AIM for situations such as this.

I guess the 45 degree entry makes sense from that standpoint, but to me, it seems it can degrade your view of traffic at that critical moment- when you are turning or about to turn downwind. It's very likely that traffic on the departure-end half of the downwind will be in your blind spot. They will likely see you, but with the potential distractions of preparing to land, they might not see you in time. Entering crosswind, or even extended downwind, you will have more trouble spotting traffic in the approach half of the pattern, but unless you are a lot faster than them, this shouldn't be an issue. They will constantly be moving ahead of you. Meanwhile you will get a good look at the critical half of the pattern, especially if you fly a close xwind leg near the departure threshold (which also helps keep you out of the way of departures). You will see departures well, and all downwind or entering-downwind traffic will be within 90 degrees of your nose. Entering on a 45, there is a point where this is not so. To me, this is the key weakness of this kind of entry. Radios or no, there is a serious danger zone as traffic converges at 45 degrees, as opposed to 90.

Another thing: I assume the rectangular pattern we know developed to avoid traffic converging on one line (final)... the pattern forces everybody (flying similar types) into trail, at the same altitude, which adds a safety buffer. Very smart. Works great.

But in a way, that 45-degree-to-midfield-downwind entry, which most PP students are conditioned to fly as if it were law, can create the same problem as not having a pattern: pilots are out there trying to fly to more or less the same point so they can enter the pattern. Fundamentally this is no different than "every man for himself to final". Granted, it could happen on extended crosswind or extended anything, but to me, having more options than "45 to downwind" makes the pattern safer. If everyone slavishly uses "the 45" it can make trouble.

When I was a noob, I was so keen on "the 45" that I'd often take pride in doing all sorts of descending turns, etc so I could fly right over the field (to exercise precise navigation) then drop into what seemed the best spot to "hit the 45". It took me a while to see the danger in this, for me and others. It began to sink in the first time I found myself in a turn a few miles out, trying to roll out on a specific heading at TPA, while trying to find two other pilots whose radio calls indicated they were more or less where I was, because they were also trying to execute this entry! And they didn't see me, even though I was banking! Ulp! Nobody knew quite where to look, that was the key problem. Why create this stress and this hazard? If I enter on the crosswind, any nearby traffic should be at TPA, in a fairly predictable location (because they will be in the pattern). Again, flying a close-in xwind leg keeps you from running over someone climbing on the "normal" crosswind after takeoff. As I cross the centerline on my xwind, I might see him, I might not, but I will most likely be turning downwind before he does, and unitl then we should be flying parallel, not converging.

Extended downwind: also pretty safe. If someone is crosswind, even climbing after takeoff, they will be easy to see, moving across my field of vision. Ironically, the most hazardous traffic when you are downwind is the guy entering at 45 degrees! :D He's less likely to really be at the correct angle, and could be joining the downwind leg almost anywhere. Also more likely to get closest to you when he is in your blind spot. It's not a bad way, pre se, to enter the pattern, but it isn't the best, IMHO.

But I definitely see your point regarding low straight-in traffic on final. It's not just camo'd planes that are hard to spot amongst ground clutter, that's for sure.
I think a straight-in should not be an excuse to start descending on final farther out that you normally would, any more than an excuse to dive in from above TPA near that same point. And of course you should be lined up well before that one-mile (typical) point, not hitting the centerline as you start to descend at the normal point. But it could be argued that most straight-in approaches get a little low, and often don't line up with the runway until they are quite close. However, this is not an inherent flaw in flying straight in, it's about how it's executed. I think it would be best, if your course heading would make a straight-in really desirable, to line up before you finish descending from cruise (if possible), call it in early and often, and don't descend thru TPA until you are a mile (or so) from the threshold.

If a straight-in flyer does this, and descends at the same point that pattern-flyers are turning base-to-final, it should be as easy to see them as a plane at any point in the pattern, right? I mean, at that point, they may as well be turning from base. Maybe he's NORDO, and you don't see him until he descends, but so what? If you are past midfield on downwind and don't see a plane at the base-to-final point before you turn base, you need glasses (or a new scrip). If you are on base, OK, he's on final, you should be able to keep a safe distance, or maybe you gotta go around.

I've never been forced to go around or by a straight-in approach, now that I think about it. Haven't seen too many, or executed many, but I've had issues with other people's too-long downwinds, sloppy base legs, etc. and I sure have flown my share of sloppy patterns. But I've never had a problem flying a straight-in or accomodating one.

I also definitely agree about radios- to me, they are a luxury in this situation. Nice to have, but not necessary, and no substitute for good scanning (and thinking).

Anyways... I'm rambling, I know. I am just fascinated by how much stock is put in "the 45", even though it's just another way to do it, really only as safe as the pilots involved, and has weak points that other entries do not have.

Assuming it is left hand traffic: Angle out to the south prior to arriving at the airport so you are well outside the downwind for 27, then turn in on the 45 entry to the downwind when appropriate.

-Skip

Yep. What I do and how I was instructed, even if my DE thought I was nuts.

I go far enough so I start 45 entry 3-5 miles out.

The AOPA Safety Adviser http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/sa08.pdf calls this the Alternate Midfield Entry from Upwind. This document is also referenced by AC90-66. And this is my perfered method to enter in the OP scenerio.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
Mine, too, although as AOPA states in that document, crossing at midfield to the downwind can be a bit much if the pattern is really busy. We do this in the gliders all the time, but our pattern is lower and closer. The last time I was a bit high before turning downwind in the trainer, my instructor pointed out a powered airplane that was a bit low and inside, coming on the downwind leg. He saw me as I turned and we both made only a small adjustment to stay safe, but...that really drove the point home about turning downwind right at midfield. You have to really not get focused on the runway for even a moment.
With the gliders, that crossing point is not carved in stone, even if one intends to stay below the powered planes.

In a powered plane, I usually cross at the departure threshold, or even a little farther out (but not out where departures will be climbing for closed traffic). That way I'll still have a good view, and also probably be on downwind before any "45-ers" get there. :D

Not so far.

No one has suggested ATITAPA :devil:
(Any Traffic In The Area Please Advise)

:rofl:

I'm getting to that... gotta rest my fingers before opening the next can of worms. :devil: :rofl:

No, just kidding, I won't do that (this time). :D

Maxxy: again, sorry for expounding, but my simple answer to your simple question is:either one of those 45-degree solutions is acceptable... but so is a crosswind entry. Or, in many cases, a straight-in. And I don't usually do the teardrop thing anymore for the reasons I described above.

A couple points on nomenclature,

There are no such thing as a uncontroled airports, simply because the Pilots have control. there are non towered airports. (unless you are landing and do not take control.) :)

AC's are not regulatory in nature, even the AIM. (which by the way is an AC)

I enter in a manor not to interfere with traffic. If there isn't any, I'll do any of the entries that will allow me to watch the whole traffic pattern.

Holy cow, guys, we're so intent on arguing the merits of straight-ins, we've practically forgotten the question:

Either is OK. A straight-in is OK too. It all depends, like many things in aviation!

If there was no AWOS or other method of finding out the winds for the field and I didn't hear anyone on CTAF, you could overfly the field (preferably 2000+ AGL) to look for the windsock and then do a descending teardrop away from the airport to set yourself up for a 45 to the downwind for the correct runway.

If you know you want runway 27 as you posted originally, and for some reason you still choose to do the 45, you could fly well south of the field (it'll only be a couple of degree turn if you make the turn 10-15 miles away) and turn back around to the 45.

If you want to do a straight-in, there's nothing wrong with that either. I do a lot of them.

Finally, if there's a lot of traffic and you want to enter the pattern, you can also just enter by flying straight onto the upwind leg, preferably a tad to the right of the runway so you can see any traffic that's down below, and then fly the full pattern.

If you want to do a straight-in, there's nothing wrong with that either. I do a lot of them.

Here in Canada our AIM discourages straight-in approaches, and the regulation, CAR 602.96, has a few things to say about it, including:

(3) The pilot-in-command of an aircraft operating at or in the vicinity of an aerodrome shall

(b) conform to or avoid the pattern of traffic formed by other aircraft in operation;

(4) Unless otherwise authorized by the appropriate air traffic control unit, no pilot-in-command shall operate an aircraft at an altitude of less than 2,000 feet over an aerodrome except for the purpose of landing or taking off or if the aircraft is operated pursuant to subsection (5).

Note that the "pilot shall conform to the pattern in use." So, if there are other aircraft, even just one, in the circuit, a straight-in is now illegal. There have been too many fatal collisions between aircraft on base and final because of such activity, and just last summer at an airport a bit north of here there was a guy coming straight in and at the last second he had to pull away hard to avoid an ultralight turning final. He stalled and crashed and was badly injured. At our airport there are regularly conflicts of this sort. A lot of pilots get used to the big-sky flying in most of Canada and think there's nobody else around, and stop looking or flying defensively. It gets them.

The second item notes that crossing of an airport at 2000' or higher, unless landing, is illegal. This is to avoid not only aircraft in the circuit but those crossing over at 1500' to get a look at the sock before joining the circuit. We sometimes get students from other schools coming in, doing a landing and takeoff, then circling right back over the airport and climbing over it to use it as a set-heading point. Dumb and illegal. Other airplanes are forever having to scramble out of the way. We've had some guys cruise right over at 1000', right through the circuit when there's maybe two or three airplanes in it. Insane. Sooner or later...

Here's the Canadian circuit diagram for uncontrolled airports:

RAC4-5-2.gif

They also recommend climbing out on runway heading until at least 1000' AGL before making any turns. That makes sure that you don't cut through the crosswind or downwind legs and create a conflict.

There's more. Here it is, for the Canucks among us:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/publications/tp14371/RAC/4-0.htm#4-5

Dan (Frustrated Airport Manager)

Last edited:
(3) The pilot-in-command of an aircraft operating at or in the vicinity of an aerodrome shall

(b) conform to or avoid the pattern of traffic formed by other aircraft in operation;

So I will avoid the pattern by not flying it, and as soon as I'm on the same final as everyone else I will conform to it. ;) :D

So, if there are other aircraft, even just one, in the circuit, a straight-in is now illegal. There have been too many fatal collisions between aircraft on base and final because of such activity

Really? Ones you know of, or is this just an OWT? Does your TSB have an online searchable database of accidents like our NTSB does?

A lot of pilots get used to the big-sky flying in most of Canada and think there's nobody else around, and stop looking or flying defensively. It gets them.

Using the regulations to force everyone to do a pattern if someone else is in the pattern could contribute to that - Here, where straight-ins are fairly frequent, I was taught during my primary training to always check final while on base.

Here's the Canadian circuit diagram for uncontrolled airports:

RAC4-5-2.gif

What? NO 45 degree to downwind entry? Horrors! :eek: :D :rofl:

Just goes to show that there's nothing magical about the 45 to downwind, folks - If it really was the best, every country would recommend if not require it. (And we probably wouldn't have this argument either.)

well, lots of opinions on pattern entry. If no other traffic in the area, I'd go straight in for 27.
Be clear in your location, announce your intention, and listen for traffic.

That is how I do it. If you call early 10 miles (XXXX 10 miles west 2500' inbound for 27). Call again maybe at 6 miles. Then just call final for 27 full stop @ 4 miles again at 2 miles. It is perfectly legal to call a 4 mile final. You can not do a final only closer than 4 miles. I think even if it is busy this is far safer than going all the way around. Every thing is in front of you and you have the option to join upwind if need be. You also should have no problem spacing yourself with others in the pattern you have 10 miles to slow down or speed up. They also know your coming so can either slow down or space for you.

Dan

Couple of legal points...

First, the regulations clearly state that aircraft on final from a straight-in "have right have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or operating on the surface." See 14 CFR 91.113(g). Don't turn in front of a plane on a straight-in unless you can complete your landing and clear the runway without forcing the straight-in to go around. See Adminstrator v. Fekete for why you don't want to do that.

Second, if you are going to maneuver from the OP's position to get to the 45-downwind entry, make sure you stay at least 3 miles from the airport while doing it. Any closer, and you could be found to be going the wrong way in the pattern. See Administrator v. Boardman for why you want to stay clear.

And from a safety rather than legal perspective...

The mid-field crossover at TPA may be "suggested" by AOPA and required in Canada, but I think it's a bloody dangerous maneuver. It puts you belly up to traffic entering on the 45 or turning downwind from the "real" crosswind in the closed pattern. If you're going to enter upwind or from the side opposite the downwind, you'll get a much better view of the situation and be more visible to the other aircraft in the pattern if you fly upwind to the "real" crosswind or enter on the "real" crosswind out past the departure end.

That is how I do it. If you call early 10 miles (XXXX 10 miles west 2500' inbound for 27). Call again maybe at 6 miles. Then just call final for 27 full stop @ 4 miles again at 2 miles. It is perfectly legal to call a 4 mile final. You can not do a final only closer than 4 miles. I think even if it is busy this is far safer than going all the way around. Every thing is in front of you and you have the option to join upwind if need be. You also should have no problem spacing yourself with others in the pattern you have 10 miles to slow down or speed up. They also know your coming so can either slow down or space for you.

Dan

I'm not familiar with a 4 mile rule...

Probably because there isn't one. Read Boardman (above) carefully -- it's all situations. In some situations, six miles might be too close; in others, two miles might be fine.

I will try and look it up but I think the FAR states that you cannot start less than a 4 mile final if you want to come straight in. Stops from having someone start a short straight in to get ahead of someone.

Dan

(4) Unless otherwise authorized by the appropriate air traffic control unit, no pilot-in-command shall operate an aircraft at an altitude of less than 2,000 feet over an aerodrome except for the purpose of landing or taking off or if the aircraft is operated pursuant to subsection (5).

The second item notes that crossing of an airport at 2000' or higher, unless landing, is illegal. This is to avoid not only aircraft in the circuit but those crossing over at 1500' to get a look at the sock before joining the circuit. We sometimes get students from other schools coming in, doing a landing and takeoff, then circling right back over the airport and climbing over it to use it as a set-heading point. Dumb and illegal. Other airplanes are forever having to scramble out of the way. We've had some guys cruise right over at 1000', right through the circuit when there's maybe two or three airplanes in it. Insane. Sooner or later...

Dan (Frustrated Airport Manager)

I think that says that over flying an airport less than 2000' unless landing is illegal.

Dan

Back