How to detail/clean/wax a metal airplane?

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
So, I'd like to clean and wax a Cessna 172N. Asking for advice on how to do this easiest and best (besides hiring professionals).

Not looking for Pebble Beach results! I've done lots of cars - have electric orbital buffer and Meguiars/Mothers consumer stuff.

The plane's outside in Colorado, so sun oxidation. I'll have a big hangar to work in.

Proposed method and order:
1. Don't touch any windows/plexiglass except with water and clean rags. Be very careful around antennas.
2. A good wash, and scrub (maybe light scotchbrite) the leading edges to remove bugs.
3. Polishing compound on the leading edges, tops of wing/elevator, fuselage, and empennage (in that order).
4. Cleaner/Wax on the leading edges, tops of wing/elevator, fuselage, and empennage (in that order).
5. Synthetic wax on the leading edges, struts, etc.
6. Enjoy a refreshing, aged malt beverage and handful of ibuprofen while I admire my work.

Thoughts on Rain-X, plastic polish, anything like that?

As I run out of energy, I'm sure my effort/results will detoriate, so I'm prioritizing for most effective for the airframe and best aesthetic results. Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice.

Last edited:
go-jo on the belly...the original white jelly...not the pumice. Smear an entire tub of it on the belly with a handful of paper towels. Then wash the rest of the plane, come back and wash the belly last after it has "soaked" in the go-jo for an hour or so while you washed the rest of the plane. You'll be amazed.

Nu-Finish on Plexiglas...inside and out...great stuff.

Aviation simple green for oil and stains.

I, personally, would question the use of scotch bright on paint. Maybe it's okay...but I've never tried it.

I just wax, no polishing compound first, but my paint is in good shape w/ no oxidation.

Last edited:
Back