How to crash like a boss.

Glad he is okay.

Here is a youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qww_LrMoUY4

Early reports say the engine was 100% fine. The crash was due to the pilot not having his hand on the throttle for takeoff along with the pilot's inability to maintain proper climb attitude. I hope this guy never flies again for our safety.

Last edited:
Here is a youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qww_LrMoUY4

Early reports say the engine was 100% fine. The crash was due to the pilot not having his hand on the throttle for takeoff along with the pilot's inability to maintain proper climb attitude. I hope this guy never flies again for our safety.
That's a little harsh , don't you think ?
If that was his first solo he will be a much safer pilot because of it .

Yeah. I really like the buddy "thumbs over" sign under the airplane.
The observations of Forrest Gump apply here.....

OK so did a little investigating and this dog don't hunt there is something fishy.

See this:
http://kdhnews.com/news/killeen-pil...cle_9d91eade-0243-11e3-abad-001a4bcf6878.html

Assuming this is the same crash...

Pilot is said to be 56. Also notice pilot's ball cap is all light grey or tan. The two guys in the video are neither 56 nor do they have solid greyish ball caps. The one that appears to climb out of the plane his cap is blue and the guy who gives the hand sign under the plane his cap is greyish but the bill is dark.

Looks like experimental with VW engine as has been suggested by others.

My guess is that the young guys hooked up the camera. The 56 year old guy flies and crashes. The young guys are videoed retrieving the cameras which is why the officer is on site. It is unlikely unless just lucky that the officer would have been there when they climbed out.

Seem like a real crash but the editing kind of changes the story line a bit.

Last edited:
OK so did a little investigating and this dog don't hunt there is something fishy.

See this:
http://kdhnews.com/news/killeen-pil...cle_9d91eade-0243-11e3-abad-001a4bcf6878.html

Pilot is said to be 56. Also notice pilot's ball cap is all light grey or tan. The two guys in the video have ball cap are neither 56 nor do they have solid greyish ball caps. The one that appears to climb out of the plane his cap is blue and the guy who gives the hand sign under the plane his cap is greyish but the bill is dark.

My guess is that the young guys hooked up the camera. The 56 year old guy flies and crashes. The young guys are videoed retrieving the cameras which is why the officer is on site. It is unlikely unless just lucky that the officer would have been there when they climbed out.

Why was the pilot looking to his right just 2 seconds before impact? It's like he had no idea he was crashing.

Maybe thought he had more time and was contemplating a landing on the road.

Ever watch a dirt track sprint car race? Those guys will flip, be hanging upside down from their harnesses and they are still sawing at the wheel thinking they can save it.:D

I think the main reason he hit the tree is because he never saw it.

See this:

Pilot is said to be 56. Also notice pilot's ball cap is all light grey or tan. The two guys in the video are neither 56 nor do they have solid greyish ball caps. The one that appears to climb out of the plane his cap is blue and the guy who gives the hand sign under the plane his cap is greyish but the bill is dark.

Well I don't know about you guys but I won't even drive a car with a Volkswagon engine let alone even think about going in a plane with one of those things.

I try not to be superstitious, but I do feel that putting three cameras on your plane to record your flight is just tempting fate.

More interest in the camera placement than in the flying of the aircraft.looks like he was aiming for the tree.

Maybe thought he had more time and was contemplating a landing on the road.

Ever watch a dirt track sprint car race? Those guys will flip, be hanging upside down from their harnesses and they are still sawing at the wheel thinking they can save it.:D

Been there............... Done that....:eek:;):)

Well I don't know about you guys but I won't even drive a car with a Volkswagon engine let alone even think about going in a plane with one of those things.

I find this an interesting statement considering that a large percentage of the GA fleet is powered by horizontally opposed, aircooled four cylinder engines.

See this:

That is not the same crash as the video .
On the video the plane is on the ground and the officer standing in front but in the report you posted the plane is 6 feet above the ground .

The headline should read "PASSENGER SURVIVES PLANE CRASH" because that's what he was for the last minute and a half of his flight. NOBODY was flying that thing!

Perhaps he was looking to the right because he was trying to get to the road.

Would it have been better if he would have skidded it hard right in an attempt to get there at low airspeed and altitude? We seen those results plenty enough.

Where did the assertion that it was pilot error with his hand off the throttle come from? Anything to back it up or is it just supposition? His first solo - do you just make stuff up?

Just a passenger? Engine seems to be running fine until just before airport boundary - how much time was there after the 2-second "oh crap" delay to do something heroic?

Tim

5495 feet of runway and he only got to ~200 feet? He could have aborted that LONNGGG earlier.

(200 feet because it was 12 seconds from first sputter to crash at -1000 FPM which is usual for a piston single).

That's the thought I had. That takeoff looked normal for 8000+ DA, not low altitude. If he can't climb normally, why fly ALL the way down that long runway?

I'm not buying vapor lock. That thing was not making normal power at least as early as when it broke ground.

...how much time was there after the 2-second "oh crap" delay to do something heroic?...

He did do something heroic, he missed Fast Eddies Tire Shop by the skin of his tooth!

It is just incredible that he did not take the ROAD.
I disagree. It looked like he tried but realized that hitting the tree flat is much preferable to stalling while trying to turn tight enough to make that road. In fact the blasted road is the sole reason why he turned right and not left.

He had that field straight ahead and slightly left. I think he could have gone there. But didn't we already have a thread about this? ;)

5495 feet of runway and he only got to ~200 feet? ...
Well let's see, what do three GoPro's weigh anyhow and could you pick anything less aerodynamic that a cube? :rolleyes:

I'll say one thing - I often ponder, if it came to it, whether I'd go into the trees or the water and this video has me leaning towards trees. Other than the little airplane getting smashed up real bad I'll bet even the tree is well on it's way to a full recovery. Six months from now someone at the Top of the Hill Diner will point out that's the tree the airplane crashed into and people will go "Naw, git out!" :D

Not a big fan of auto conversions in general, but the VW has a pretty solid track record.

Back