How to buy a plane

Good idea, but also watch for the B-23 Musketeer Custom IIIs. Basically a 1-door Sundowner with the 180hp Lycoming. They’re sleepers; great planes under appreciated by the market.
whats great about the musketeer?

whats great about the musketeer?

- Typically priced less than similar Pipers and Cessnas.
- Beech build quality; very few ADs, none onerous, easy maintenance.
- Roomy and comfortable.
- Good handling characteristics, stable.
- 60 gallon fuel capacity.
- Spacious luggage area, large doors (I know a guy who removed the rear seat and hauled a refrigerator).

Facebook groups crush TAP, Barnstormers, etc. Didn't believe it til I tried it.

Find a plane.
Seriously. I've been looking since September, and all I find is junk.
Very expensive junk.

What’s your budget? I’ve seen some decent Ercoupe listings. You want something SP eligible, right?

Hah. My nightmare buyer came from Facebook. Actual buyer came from TAP.

Exciting times ahead!! Take your time and have fun.

With the caveat that 3/4 of the ads are scam ads and to never ever ever ever send a deposit to hold/buy any of them (or anything but an in-person transaction for anything off of FB ever) -- yes. :)

As has been said, the purchase price is a small part of the cost of ownership. Do not be so concerned to buying a plane at the lowest price. Get the plane that you want and fits your needs. In the long run, you will be happiest.

Another thing, if there are some top brokers for a make you are seriously considering, contact them. They may be able to offer you something before it makes the public.

I know of two in the Mooney world.

As has been said, the purchase price is a small part of the cost of ownership. Do not be so concerned to buying a plane at the lowest price. Get the plane that you want and fits your needs. In the long run, you will be happiest.

Another thing, if there are some top brokers for a make you are seriously considering, contact them. They may be able to offer you something before it makes the public.

I know of two in the Mooney world.
who would u recommend?

It's gonna take:
* money
* a whole lotta spending money
* plenty of money
* time
* a whole lotta precious time
* patience and time

Man, this is some stellar advice!

Rolling back on this -

Does anyone have a step by step of what to do and when? Something that starts with "I found something I'm interested in" and ends with "You turn the ignition and fly home"?

I found that it was helpful to have my funding in order before getting very far. If financing, get approved.

I even put $5000 into escrow to be ready to put a deposit down in a matter of an hour or two.

Then start looking and narrowing the field. Having a mechanic lined up for a pre-buy and to help with reviewing the logs is a good thing.

The escrow service will do title search when you get to that point. And file the change of ownership and registration for you. They get it done same day.

#Half fast’s #2, be willing to walk cannot be over emphasized.

#Half fast’s #4 expanded just a tad…. Local mechanics are a GREAT resource.

Great points above. It’s worth it!

I've been lurking but will add/adjust the discussion now. Obviously it takes money - lots and lots of models are out there to anticipate that. I have one and I don't like it because it says I can't buy this plane today. But the mystery of purchase for me centers more around:

1) Finding an A&P that will work on your plane... that provides quality advise, you can trust, etc etc etc. For example, if you're Cali based, no point in going to a mid-west shop, etc. Also as a first time owner, how do you do this? word of mouth alone?

2) AD research. How do you know what it means? how do you stay organized with the plethora of ADs (as a first time owner)

3) Insurance shopping - when to pull the trigger to run the algo

4) Hangar shopping... also since when did hangars with 50' doors get to be 800/mo!!! (rant over)

5) Finding an escrow shop, etc

Back