How to better prepare for interviews??

Myfpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Myfpilot
[FONT=ARIAL,]Hello all,
[/FONT]
[FONT=ARIAL,]I've been doing a tremendous amount of research on interview/resume/marketing strategies, resources etc... one would use to prepare themselves for an interview. Having seen many websites that promise they are the BEST at preparing you for your interview, I am curious on several things:

First, those of you who are in the know how, what suggestions do you have for those of us who will be interviewing soon for various positions.

Secondly, are those websites honestly worth it?

And lastly, I am not looking at a pilot position with a company, but rather an operational/management position. On a personal note, I am most concerned with the fact I have not had a formal interview in close to 5 years since working for American Eagle Airlines, and then becoming a Naval officer, and I can firmly admit that my interview standards are most likely not to par with today's market expectations, and where I want them to be.

Anyone with some guidance or suggestions is highly appreciated. Thank you all!

[/FONT]

Perhaps you may be over-thinking things? Show up on time, dress appropriate for the company/job, and be a professional.

Perhaps you may be over-thinking things? Show up on time, dress appropriate for the company/job, and be a professional.

What Jesse said. Other points to cover are:

Do your research. Know as much as you can about the target company. Really.

Think through your answer to questions like Why do you want to work for this company? and What about your background makes you particularly suited for this position? Along that line, my resume cover letter has a paragraph that starts: "What makes me different?" with a listing of the top points (no more than three, one is enough!) why the company would be lucky to have you working for them. OK, snide comments from the usual POA members aside, I think this tactic is one that just may get your resume noticed. And that is the task at hand. Land the interview, then impress the socks off them!

Good luck with this. I am also moving along in my career, FWIW.

No, I don't think the websites are worth it. But then again I am in a rather specialized area and I know many people in the industry.

-Skip

What Jesse said. Other points to cover are:

Do your research. Know as much as you can about the target company. Really.

Think through your answer to questions like Why do you want to work for this company? and What about your background makes you particularly suited for this position? Along that line, my resume cover letter has a paragraph that starts: "What makes me different?" with a listing of the top points (no more than three, one is enough!) why the company would be lucky to have you working for them. OK, snide comments from the usual POA members aside, I think this tactic is one that just may get your resume noticed. And that is the task at hand. Land the interview, then impress the socks off them!

Good luck with this. I am also moving along in my career, FWIW.

No, I don't think the websites are worth it. But then again I am in a rather specialized area and I know many people in the industry.

-Skip
Depends on what the job is and the company, but both Jesse and Skip have given good advice.

[FONT=ARIAL,]Hello all,
[/FONT]
[FONT=ARIAL,]I've been doing a tremendous amount of research on interview/resume/marketing strategies, resources etc... one would use to prepare themselves for an interview. Having seen many websites that promise they are the BEST at preparing you for your interview, I am curious on several things:

First, those of you who are in the know how, what suggestions do you have for those of us who will be interviewing soon for various positions.

Secondly, are those websites honestly worth it?

And lastly, I am not looking at a pilot position with a company, but rather an operational/management position. On a personal note, I am most concerned with the fact I have not had a formal interview in close to 5 years since working for American Eagle Airlines, and then becoming a Naval officer, and I can firmly admit that my interview standards are most likely not to par with today's market expectations, and where I want them to be.

Anyone with some guidance or suggestions is highly appreciated. Thank you all!

[/FONT]

I sat on an interview board for the airline I use to fly for. Here's how I see interviewing.

Dress and act as a professional

Know the company in which you are applying. Research the job thoroughly.

Be yourself, relax.

Do not embellish your resume. People who do this are easy to spot, and once the interviewer establishes this your credibility is shot.

Your experience as a naval officer speaks for itself.
I am an operational manager, have done plenty of interviews, and am going through the interview dance myself.

Be professional (you already know how). Look professional (you already know how). I don't know what you did in the Navy or what your ending grade was, but try to tone down the military bearing a touch.
Be polite, but not deferential. Be the pro you already are.

On the resume front, I put a small paragraph at the top with my key qualifications for the position I want.
Name
Address
Phone and email
Emergency Manager with 15 years experience; Incident Management Team Leader; SME in Emergency Management; NIMS; On-Site Incident Management; law enforcement; WMD/CBRNE response, medical treatment, mass decontamination, and operations. Experience in disaster response, disaster medicine, and National Security Special Events.

Professional Experience:
< and the rest of the resume >
I want to give the reviewer a two to three line, keyworded summary (based on the required and desired knowledge/skills/education for that position) that he/she can hit and determine that they want to read the rest.
That's not everything I know and can do, it's tailored to the exact position being requested and the items called out in the position announcement.

When I have to review hundreds of resumes for three or four openings, don't make me hunt and peck through your resume for the key things I need to determine if you get to pass to the next step. Give me the things I need at the very beginning, and I almost *guarantee* you get an interview.

To quote my old boss - dress better than the customer. In this case, the company is the customer, and you're the salesman, and the product you're selling is you.

Think of it as slightly more than an FAA oral exam. Answer succinctly & truthfully. But unlike the FAA exams, you may offer a bit more elaboration, if it's warranted, but don't go overboard.

You have the benefit of a great background. As a Naval officer, you have management skills that are outstanding.

To quote my old boss - dress better than the customer. In this case, the company is the customer, and you're the salesman, and the product you're selling is you.

Think of it as slightly more than an FAA oral exam. Answer succinctly & truthfully. But unlike the FAA exams, you may offer a bit more elaboration, if it's warranted, but don't go overboard.

You have the benefit of a great background. As a Naval officer, you have management skills that are outstanding.
One can easily overdress depending on where you're interviewing. There are many tech companies where showing up in a suit will result in no job.

It's a matter of understanding the culture of where you're interviewing but keeping it real. Don't be someone you're not.

I've never interviewed at an airline and have no intention of ever doing so - but I suspect that you might want to leave the jeans and t-shirt at home.

A week ago Friday I was working with one of my clients in typical black slacks and button down. My client employee all wear neck ties. I was not wearing a neck tie. The executive manager asked me to go with him for a late lunch to discuss my findings. About 20 minutes later the discussion turned into an interview. I presented my synopsis of his operation and he offered me a director level position. The job will pay a minimum of 50% more than I currently make. Not sure if I will accept but am leaning that way.

The point is that while dress is important, what you can bring to the table trumps dress providing you're not dressed slovenly.

Good luck!

Lots of good advice.
As Jesse said, don't over think it. But make damn sure your resume and cover letter are perfect. Absolutely no spelling or grammar errors.

Be on time or a little early. Not too early.
Dress just a notch above what you think the work attire will be.
Get a good night sleep. Be relaxed. Smile.

RESEARCH THE COMPANY.

Be confident but not cocky. "Yes Sir" and "No Sir" will enhance your military credentials, but be careful of yes or no answers. The interviewer will be trying to get you to talk. Be ready to do that but don't ramble.

I can never remember peoples names. I feel that puts me at a disadvantage. Try to remember the names of everyone you meet.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

This. I can always tell who did "interview prep" and who just did their homework and showed up prepared. The "interview prep" people tend to have canned answers to the tough questions. I don't mind an applicant saying "let me think about that a second" when I ask a question. I do mind when candidates come in with canned answers and think that because they went to some interview prep class that they are going to impress me. Quite frequently, it is the opposite.

Be professional. Be courteous. Be yourself.

Good luck!

I like this guys take on interviewing, basically demonstrate that you can do the job in the interview. Might have to pick through his web page to find the info. iirc I read one of his books as well. Lots of contempt for HR types and the interview/resume/HR make work machine.

I do mind when candidates come in with canned answers and think that because they went to some interview prep class that they are going to impress me.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. If you get the question about what's your greatest weakness or flaw, do NOT say you're a workaholic. If I hear that once more, I think I'll gag.

Figure out what your biggest issue is, then explain what you've done to correct it. In my case, I have a tendency to be overly detailed and long-winded in answering questions. I have worked hard to understand the level of information and detail needed for the context, and be respectful of the time of the listener.

@Myfpilot: In your original post, you said something about operational / management. Care to be a bit more specific? A particular industry, facet, or specilization?

Would moving be possible? How far?

Any strong sales talent?

I prepared a list of questions (about me) for which I'd want answers if the situation were reversed. The benefit was that I could pose tougher questions of myself than they might have wanted to ask in the initial interview, allowing all of us to cut through the usual BS and talk about what was really important in determining if I was the right guy for them and they were the right company for me. It never failed.

One can easily overdress depending on where you're interviewing. There are many tech companies where showing up in a suit will result in no job.

It's a matter of understanding the culture of where you're interviewing but keeping it real. Don't be someone you're not.

I've never interviewed at an airline and have no intention of ever doing so - but I suspect that you might want to leave the jeans and t-shirt at home.

I'm a hiring manager at a technical company. Wear the suit. I care that you'll know your stuff, are capable of applying that knowledge, capable of communicating with nontechnical people, and that you're reliable.

The suit won't get you the job, but dressing too down can sure lose it for you.

Best of luck. There are plenty of jobs out there. Just hard to find good people to fill them.

Just hard to find good people to fill them.
True statement. Had a person who filled the role of a sales associate resign today.

Finding a good salesperson to take over his position will be a challenge. Too many order takers out there who just want to wait for the fish to jump into their boat. I need a guy who desires to get out of the cave every day, hunt down the opportunity, kill it, drag it home, and then get 5 referrals from the carcass.

So there's an opportunity in Denton if anyone wants to find out more. True salesmanship is the skill I want to find. I can teach you auto parts.

I'm a hiring manager at a technical company. Wear the suit. I care that you'll know your stuff, are capable of applying that knowledge, capable of communicating with nontechnical people, and that you're reliable.

The suit won't get you the job, but dressing too down can sure lose it for you.
Did you read what I wrote? Notice how I said at some you can overdress and a suit will indeed result in not being considered. This is why you need to know the culture. Do you not think that such companies exist? There are many.

I prepared a list of questions (about me) for which I'd want answers if the situation were reversed. The benefit was that I could pose tougher questions of myself than they might have wanted to ask in the initial interview, allowing all of us to cut through the usual BS and talk about what was really important in determining if I was the right guy for them and they were the right company for me. It never failed.
Continuing on with Wayne's sentiment, once you've researched the position and the company and have determined that this is the right position for you, be sure to successfully communicate the following:
this is both an opportunity for you you to be personally successful (and not just have a j-o-b. with a paycheck) because they hired you and realize that there is a major opportunity for them to be very successful in their business because they hired you.
Many job candidates that I've met are just looking for compensation because they showed up at work and stuck around for the day. No evidence of fire or drive, or as one speaker said, "shiney eyes". (found the YouTube clip that explains shiney eyes. Benjamin Zander. Link starts at the story (17:20), but the entire 20 minutes is germaine to our thread here, especially the very first story, and worth watching).

I know it's my job to fan the flames into something resembling this, but there has to be something there to fan. Too often there's nothing.

And if I can ever be fortunate enough find the shiney eyed person that, in return, can then turn my eyes into HID spotlights, I know I've got someone with whom I can take over the world!

narf!

Did you read what I wrote? Notice how I said at some you can overdress and a suit will indeed result in not being considered. This is why you need to know the culture. Do you not think that such companies exist? There are many.

Not nearly as many whole companies as just their IT and Software Development departments...

Move into Sales just about anywhere and you'd better show up in a suit for the interview.

All depends a lot on culture. Even us UNIX guys dumped our beards during the down-turn. :) The only pony tail in our entire IT department is the (very good) help desk lead. Used to be a staple of IT for some reason to have hair down to your butt.

At the former employer, the developers were quite-often in tie-dye unless they were meeting with customers.

Not nearly as many whole companies as just their IT and Software Development departments...

Move into Sales just about anywhere and you'd better show up in a suit for the interview.

All depends a lot on culture. Even us UNIX guys dumped our beards during the down-turn. :) The only pony tail in our entire IT department is the (very good) help desk lead. Used to be a staple of IT for some reason to have hair down to your butt.

At the former employer, the developers were quite-often in tie-dye unless they were meeting with customers.
Agree - it just all depends on the company's culture. Understanding the culture of the company as much as possible before the interview is probably the most important thing you can do.

Not to be disagreeable... but honestly, I've never encountered that. I suppose if you were interviewing with Apple or Google it might be a factor, but that goes back to knowing the company you're interviewing with. It is possible to over-dress, but if the guy's ex military that's probably not going to be an issue -- and if you are the person they are looking for, it's not a killer.

Just be prepared for wither of two kinds of interview. One type, the kind we used to have before the rise of the "HR professional", is conducted by a manager and leans toward work experience, qualifications, fit, etc. It's talking to your prospective boss to see if you're the right person for the job and the company.

The other type will feel more like a highly scripted exercise in wasting time at the hands of HR droids.

All,

Thank you so much for your input. Definitely some terrific points made by all.

To answer some concerns above:

No, my resume is not overwhelming military accronyms. Infact, it's not even 1/3 of the page. I was not in the aviation side of the Navy, but did lead about 25 sailors in an air department. I focused my navy portion to 'what I accomplished' and a few of the awards I received. Mainly ones from Japan. Nothing more bothersome for ME is having to read a bunch of lingo that doesn't interest me, let alone someone in HR. my personal recommendation for anyone military looking for a non military friend resume--> Have a non military person chop it to death.

Then moving to a summary of my aviation employment (TBird aviation, Swissport, American Eagle Airlines).

pilot ratings and total time

Education (college only)

Hobbies

All said and done, 473 words including all subject titles dates etc...

I should have been more specific. I've got many years of operational experience with airlines on the ramp and ticket counter etc... What I'd like to do is start somewhere as a manager (or similar) and move up from there.

For those who are interested in a major aviation conference, check out www.wai.org. the annual Women in Aviation conference is held 08-11March and there are some MAJOR companies there. Unfortunately, the date for scholarships has passed. I've gone to 2 of these conferences, and they are WORTH the money! Some unbelievable networking and connections made.

Side note, Mens warehouse has an awesome buy one get one sale. So, why not get some more suits!

Does anyone have any suggestions about the whole headhunter path? Someone mentioned it above.

someday i'll have to interview for a job...

someday i'll have to interview for a job...

Someday Congress will pass the (*^%$%$&%!! budget and the program I've been "offered contingent upon" will happen.

Of course by then I'll probably be slinging fries at Wendy's.

I would recommend removal of the "hobby" section of your resume. There is no reason to include something that may preclude you from the interview. For example, if one of your hobbies is taxidermy and the interviewer is a member of PETA, that would probably preclude you from an interview. That example is somewhat extreme for the purpose of discussion.

I would recommend removal of the "hobby" section of your resume. There is no reason to include something that may preclude you from the interview. For example, if one of your hobbies is taxidermy and the interviewer is a member of PETA, that would probably preclude you from an interview. That example is somewhat extreme for the purpose of discussion.
It could work the other way too, though. My example is a bit extreme too, but true.

I got my first full-time job out of college because the person interviewing me found out I was a private pilot. I answered an ad for a photo lab technician. That job had been filled but I was offered a job as an aerial camera operator because he figured I wouldn't be afraid of small airplanes or get airsick. That probably changed the whole course of my career and life. The jury is still out on whether that was a good thing or not. :rofl:

As far as interviews go, it seems like I either clicked with someone or I didn't. I think it's important to be more or less yourself. After all, you wouldn't want to pretend to be someone else, get the job, then find you don't fit in. I haven't had an interview in many years, though.

The only organization affiliation I ever mention, and only if asked, is volunteer at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. On the resume, only relevant professional societies. The only company I've ever applied to (in Colorado) that wanted to see ratings was Jeppesen. Otherwise I don't ever mention anything aviation or other hobbies.

I've always wondered about suggestions of this sort. If my hobby is taxidermy and it is important enough to me to include in my resume and the work atmosphere is hostile to that hobby, do I really want to work there? I'd just prefer to lose the job offer than work in a hostile environment. Just me.

IMHO, the purpose of not including a "hobby" section is to mitigate the chance of being DQ'd before even having the opportunity to interview. Sure, there are obvious opportunities for it to work in your favor, but in a time of high unemployment, why take an unnecessary risk?

I've always wondered about suggestions of this sort. If my hobby is taxidermy and it is important enough to me to include in my resume and the work atmosphere is hostile to that hobby, do I really want to work there? I'd just prefer to lose the job offer than work in a hostile environment. Just me.
While I understand and appreciate where you're coming from, as an employer I couldn't care less what your hobbies include. My interest is in your ability to perform the functions of the job you are trying to secure. Opening an unnecessary door would not be my recommendation in the current environment. YMMV

Leave it in. If your hobby is taxidermy and you end up working for a PETA freak (note the additional "freak" qualifier... not every supporter of PETA is one), you're going to end up miserable anyway.

Get it over with early.

If they're not professional and civil enough to ignore it at the business table and leave it tabled at the office, you definitely don't want to work for them. Disaster awaits.

I do have a PETA t-shirt, though... Just to be fair. (It says, "People Eating Tasty Animals".)

I'll start seriously worrying about the smaller furry animals when all the humans are fed and clothed.

But that's just me. Both helping humans and helping animala are noble pursuits.

A hobby is something I'll ask you about in the interview if I care enough that I think I may want to bring you on-board. I don't need to see it on the resume. Your resume (and attached cover letter) is 1 page (resume) and maybe 1/2 more (cover letter - please don't write me a book) to sell yourself to me as to WHY I should OFFER you an interview.

The interview is your ONE or maybe two chances (if I bring someone else in to meet you a second time) to convince me that I should offer you a job. Also, it is your chance to see if you would even enjoy working here. Do your homework on the company, ask questions as needed.

And yes, I would agree if I hear "I'm a workaholic" or "I'm a perfectionist" or "I'm too critical of myself" one more time I may gag. My weakness? I get long winded and can start to ramble (reference this post). What have I done to remedy that? I got married. She tells me to shut up when I've talked too long. It's like an internal clock now. :D

A hobby is something I'll ask you about in the interview if I care enough that I think I may want to bring you on-board. I don't need to see it on the resume. Your resume (and attached cover letter) is 1 page (resume) and maybe 1/2 more (cover letter - please don't write me a book) to sell yourself to me as to WHY I should OFFER you an interview.

The interview is your ONE or maybe two chances (if I bring someone else in to meet you a second time) to convince me that I should offer you a job. Also, it is your chance to see if you would even enjoy working here. Do your homework on the company, ask questions as needed.

And yes, I would agree if I hear "I'm a workaholic" or "I'm a perfectionist" or "I'm too critical of myself" one more time I may gag. My weakness? I get long winded and can start to ramble (reference this post). What have I done to remedy that? I got married. She tells me to shut up when I've talked too long. It's like an internal clock now. :D

The only reason I included my hobbies is due to a very well known aviation columnist who's a good friend of mine who suggested it. My reasoning, if she suggests it.. There's a reason for it. But no. I did not include taxidermy or anything like that. Mainly just generic things. Quite honestly may not even be worth including when push comes to shove.

When I hire for my firm (compressor engineering) I'm spending about 2 minutes looking at the resume, and then the rest of the time I'm trying to get inside the head of the candidate to find out if it's somebody I want working for me. My primary red flags are overconfidence/arrogance, job-hopping, "poor-me" syndrome (always has a sad sob story for every bad thing that's ever happened to them, never their fault), inability to think/speak in a professional manner, and not being able to just sit down and talk with me like a normal human being about what you've done and what you know how to do.

Best thing you can do? Relax and be yourself. Tell the truth, don't embellish and just tell your story. Tell 'em why you want to work for them, what you're expecting to get from them and give back to them. The big secret to an interview is that there is no secret. I can train people to do a lot of different things - it's not necessarily about what you know, it's about your attitude and ability to learn new things.

Tony is doing it the correct way.

now that i think about it, i did have an honest to goodness in person interview for a job once. they offered me a job, but later rescinded the offer. then i had a phone interview for my current job but based on how that interview went i'm pretty sure they were going to hire me anyway

Does anyone have any suggestions about the whole headhunter path? Someone mentioned it above.

Over in Medical Matters, Doc. Bruce will tell you to own your medical and be proactive about what rx drugs you allow your Doc to prescribe, etc. The best advice regarding headhunters is "own your resume."

Headhunters come in two flavors: Retained and Contingency search. Retained guys get paid whether they find the candidate or not, Contingency guys get paid only if their candidate gets hired. With this in mind, Contingency consultants will do anything to get eyeballs on the resume including mass mailing it to companies that are clearly not an excellent fit just because they might hire you. Also if someone else actually presents you successfully to the same company, the Contingency recruiter may send in a bill and then sue to get it paid. He was there first, after all. Although this is not your problem, the hassle and expense to your new employer will not put you in a good light early in your new position. Avoid this. Make sure you have an agreement that the Contingency consultant will provide you a list of companies he will send your resume to before he does it, and you retain veto power. "Manage your Resume!"

Headhunters are not employment agents. They are hired by a company to find a person with a very specific set of skills including fitting well into the company culture. Their client is the company, not you. So that is why it is hard to get them to return your calls, etc.

Retained consultants won't present you to a company if s/he thinks the fit for the position isn't optimal. He makes his money by not wasting the company HR department's time, and it is not to their long term advantage to flood a company with resumes that don't meet the job spec very closely. His reputation is on the line with each resume he submits, and he very much wants to get hired for the next search. Be honest and open with the Retained consultant; he can save you time, too.

-Skip

Back