How to assemble that P-47 you had delivered

WOW, when a person remembers they did this in the elements and under physically stressful conditions. No snowflakes back then.

Some clever thinking here to do all of this with a minimum of equipment.

But a recreational piston kite half the weight of a passenger auto has to be hand built to such an involved degree it rolls off the floor at half a mil ....:rolleyes:

But a recreational piston kite half the weight of a passenger auto has to be hand built to such an involved degree it rolls off the floor at half a mil ....:rolleyes:
Well, they were hand built then, also. And who knows what THEY would cost now, factoring in inflation.

I've seen that film before, but wonder how many P-47's were actually assembled that way in theatre. By the time P-47's arrived in Europe, we had a pretty substantial presence (technicians and infrastructure) there, and that's where the majority of them went. People with cranes and other heavy lift equipment don't typically rely on brute force and human labor to assemble airplanes. OTOH, I guess it is possible that a few were hand assembled in the PTO, but most aircraft in the PTO were assembled in the US and ferried via carrier, or were assembled in a developed area (Australia, for instance) and ferried to the combat zone.

I watched the video a couple of months ago, and really enjoyed it. It's a great example of good old Yankee ingenuity using the crate for an assembly tool.

Back