How old were you when you got you PP license

bahama flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bahama flier
I was 62 before I started taking flying lessons, did not have time until I retired.

I am looking at 73 now, still good health and still flying. I have flown to the Bahamas over 80 times in the last 10 years.

I did not get my license to fly around the airport, I wanted to go somewhere.

With the price of gas, If I do not have a trip, I just stay home, but I still have about 700 hours since I started flying..

I was 22. First thing I did after graduating from college and getting a job was sign up for flight lessons.

Started at 15, finished PP at 19 or 20.

28 years old.

I was 20, my dad was 42, I think, and my wife's grandfather got his PPL at 65 after he retired from his medical practice in the mid 60's.

Last edited:

Bought my first plane with 1.5 hours in my log book, got my PP 3 months later....

Still flying several times a week...:yes::yes::)

Last edited:
Solo'd at 16 just before 17th birthday, passed the checkride a year ago at 17.

Hmmmm....must resist temptation...

Another late starter here... first flight lesson at 38, next one at 51, finished the same year. And like you - I didn't get my ticket to fly around the pattern and look at my own neighborhood from above. I still like doing it -- but preferably on my way somewhere, or coming back home.

Finished 12/2011 at age 44.

17 years old a few months before my 18th birthday...was very scared to fly in my teens (even though I loved flight simulator and airplanes) so my parents decided to get me an intro flight for Christmas when I was 16 and fell in love with it. Flew about 60 hours after I got it before I went away to college, then took an 8 year break. Got back up in a plane this past June and have put another 70 hours in the logbook and should hopefully wrap up my instrument by Memorial Day.

Oh, Instrument was in 87 at age 30. It took about 8 months to complete.

I was 62 before I started taking flying lessons, did not have time until I retired.

I am looking at 73 now, still good health and still flying. I have flown to the Bahamas over 80 times in the last 10 years.

I did not get my license to fly around the airport, I wanted to go somewhere.

With the price of gas, If I do not have a trip, I just stay home, but I still have about 700 hours since I started flying..

I was 26. That was 37 years ago. I'm glad I did it young, but today is not too late. Just don't wait until tomorrow.

I was 44 when I started, 46 (almost 47) when I finished. 2006.

John

I was 34 when I got my ppl and 35 for instrument.

Last edited:
fibe 2.........IR fibe7........and lovin it!!

20 y/o...

Flew more the first year I started flying than I have the past two years combined. :(

17 years old back in 1970 with that wonderful 42 cents a gallon avgas. I could get a job for 1.50 an hour so I got almost 4 gallons of avgas for an hour of work for a high schooler! How things have changed!

First flight at 3, first lesson at 17, 5 years and 2 instructors later I earned license at 22 (~62 TT).

It always comes down to the triple paradox of time, weather, and money - you need all 3 in the correct ratio at the same time.

'Gimp

Last edited:
Soloed 3 weeks after my 16th birthday, got license the day before my 17th birthday from Transport Canada (they then took it away, gave it to my dad, and told him not to give it to me until the next day). Last flight in Canada was in 1982.

Started flying again in 2012 (ground school for FAA license). Got my FAA license on a conversion in 2013.

Back