How old were you when you got started?

Just had my first lesson a few weeks back at 34 years. Welcome to the journey!

Discovery flight at 25, then nothing until this August (at 42). I intend to get my ppl before summer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spent some time in a simulator when I was 26. Took a discovery flight when I was 27. Picked the worst day for my first ever flight in a Cessna 150. Bumpy, hot and scary as heck. Stayed away from planes for a year. :no:

Visited a friend, a year and a half later, in Michigan City, IN. Went for another discovery flight. This time with a career CFI in a Cessna 172. Enjoyed it and was completely hooked.

Started training and finished it when I was 29. Working towards the instrument rating.. but not going well. Oh well, just like the PPL - maybe some day.

I was born into flying...literally. Dad was WWII pilot and subsequently an ag pilot. He taught mom to fly while she was pregnant with me....took her checkride two month before I was born! Went on to get Comm/CFI. Started actual lessons in 1978 at 15. Been going since.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

License at 20, CFI at 22. First student was 65. He did great and loved flying.

48 to start. Private at 49. CFI at 53.

Wanted to learn to fly all life long...just never had the opportunity until a bit later.

15. Got to play in the right seat of a b200 when I was really young, and I was hooked.

I was 36 when I got my license and then 6 years later I was very nearly killed by a drunk driver. The injuries sidelined my flying for 4 years. I finally got my medical certification back when I was 46 and I started flying again. I was 51 when I got my instrument rating.

Best wishes for your quest to become a pilot.

Back