How old is the letter designated airspace system?

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
I often talk to my uncle who was a pilot in the air force and worked his later years at NY TRACON. He seems to be unfamiliar with the letter designated airspaces and refers to JFK airspace, for example, as the TRSA (IIRC). I assume this was in place up until 2001, when he retired. I'd guess it was at the time of 9/11, but I was under the impression that TRSA was much older than that.

I think it was a TCA (terminal control area ), but it was before I started in 2003. I think in the 90's. TRSA exist today.

9/16/1993

I often talk to my uncle who was a pilot in the air force and worked his later years at NY TRACON. He seems to be unfamiliar with the letter designated airspaces and refers to JFK airspace, for example, as the TRSA (IIRC). I assume this was in place up until 2001, when he retired. I'd guess it was at the time of 9/11, but I was under the impression that TRSA was much older than that.

Since TRSA's and MOA's have no ICAO equivalent, they were left alone. All the others relating to ATC and weather (Terminal Control Areas, Airport Traffic Areas, Control Zones, Positive Control Areas, Continental Control Area etc) were converted to letters. All SUA's were unaffected.

He probably worked it when it was just simply called a "control zone".

Back