How often is maintenance done on private planes?

Renting might be cheaper up to a point, but if you fly more than 50hrs per year, I can guarantee you it's not. Also, with rentals, you pay for all maintenance and reserves up front, ahead of time. With your own plane, you can pay for most niggly or preventive type stuff maintenance when it suits the ebb and flow of your finances or cash flow. That's a huge benefit. Most maintenance things are rarely of the kind that need immediate attention.

The answer is usually, whenever is most inconvenient for a vacation or trip you have scheduled. So finding a good mechanic that you trust, can help work with your schedule and is willing to fix when appropriate rather than just replace is essential.

Financial sense is only part of it. Some years you will end up with an hourly operating cost that comes out ahead of renting, some years not. Of course you carry the risk on maintenance, and each annual on a 40 year old plane is a bit of a lottery.

The upside includes availability and flexibility of the plane, improved safety (you know the plane and it's history intimately), and that pride and enjoyment of ownership (see note above about the "annual lottery"). The flexibility does have some financial value to it, as most flight schools require a minimum daily rental if you're staying overnight, limiting the ability to take, or increasing the cost of longer trips

A good pre-buy is essential. It's been said above but I'll say it again, that's not the same as an annual. It's an inspection with a view to creating a list of items that should be address before sale, soon after, at the next annual and things to watch for the future. Best conducted by a mechanic familiar with the type, and most type clubs can put you in touch with one of those.

Sounds like your girls are at a similar age to mine, and I held back for a while for the same reason. The potential unknown maintenance cost risk still looms, but the fun we are having as a family together with it makes it worthwhile, in my view.

My annual is due in September, perhaps I should repost on October 1 and see if I still feel the same way!

I've found that owners/pilots will postpone all maintenance and up grades until annual time, then have the deferred maintenance and up grades done and call it an annual.

I've found that owners/pilots will postpone all maintenance and up grades until annual time, then have the deferred maintenance and up grades done and call it an annual.

You say this all the time, but many of us do not operate this way.

In fact, one of our co-ownership meetings went like this DURING an annual when some deferrable items came up...

"Want to fix it now or next year? Mechanic says it's okay either way, but would like to."
"Did we buy it to fly a clapped out rental?"
"Fix it."
"Fix it."
"Agreed. Who's getting the next round?"

Paraphrased, anyway. The beer line at the end is accurate.

Back