How often do you do it?

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
About how many times per month do you fly (recreational, not commercially) and what is the average length of time per flight?

Also, what are some of the main reasons for your flights.....is it to go up for an hour to practice maneuvers? To fly an hour or so to grab a bite to eat or to see family/friends for half a day? To fly somewhere for a weekend?

Hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death. Thanks!

I'm now flying 3-5 times a month. Generally 1-2 hours a leg. Almost always for a weekend or week long trip to "do something" or "visit someone".

Living on an airport makes casual and short trips attractive. I sometimes fly somewhere just because I can fly direct from home to somewhere where there just happens to be an airport. Recently flew down to Concord to borrow the loaner and shop at the Bass Pro Shop. Flew to KFAY to borrow the loaner and shop for boat stuff.

Not nearly as often as I would like. Too many other things getting in the way. But anywhere between once a week and once a month. Typically about an hour or so just putzing around. A little sight seeing, some trips around the pattern. Whatever.

Actually going somewhere would be the exception for me.

I try to get up once a week or so. Most of the time it's for 1-2 hours. Occasionally I make it longer. It's always more fun with someone else, but if I can't get anyone else I'll do it by myself.

I try to fly at least once a week and sometimes I get more. I will fly for whatever reason I can come up with, including $100 hamburger runs, flyins, I just went skiing for the day up at Tahoe, visiting family, occasional business trips, picking my son up from college, etc. I usually fly a little more than 100 hours per year.

I fly once per week, whether I need it or not. LOL

1 - 2 hours. Cheap is one hour in the Luscombe. Bit more by the hour to fly the club planes and usually I fly them a bit longer than one hour.

Usually practicing something, was stick and rudder in the Luscombe, now IR in a Cessna. I usually only do xc if I am sharing the airplane with someone as I need to watch my budget.

Last Sat, I had pax to share cost so did the xc thing to KFXE.

1000011y.jpg

1000060x.jpg

1000068f.jpg

Last edited:
I try to get up once a week or so. Most of the time it's for 1-2 hours. Occasionally I make it longer. It's always more fun with someone else, but if I can't get anyone else I'll do it by myself.

:rofl::no:

I try and fly at least twice a month. Normally one local and one XC to see somewhere new.

I fly once per week, whether I need it or not. LOL

1 - 2 hours. Cheap is one hour in the Luscombe. Bit more by the hour to fly the club planes and usually I fly them a bit longer than one hour.

Usually practicing something, was stick and rudder in the Luscombe, now IR in a Cessna. I usually only do xc if I am sharing the airplane with someone as I need to watch my budget.

Last Sat, I had pax to share cost so did the xc thing to KFXE.

1000011y.jpg

1000060x.jpg

1000068f.jpg

wow, gorgeous shots!

I try and fly at least 2-3 times a month, mainly $100 burger runs but sometime just to get pattern practice.

I average 10-15 times a month...... And that still is NOT enough....:no:

15- 20 times a month, just for fun and relaxation. Sometimes twice a day. :dunno:

Average 175 -225 hours a year.

I'm about 3 times a month max. I'm contemplating joing a local flying club to be able to fly more often. During the winter months it decreases to around 2 times a month. I'm a teacher so over the summer my flight time goes up big time.

I mix in XC's and Local sight seeing flights. Most of the time I fly solo, and love it- so relaxing up there, but occasionally will bring someone along.

I generally fly once a week, averaging about 120-140 hours a year. Some flights are long, some are short. I'm usually going places, visiting friends and family in other cities, weekend getaways and daytrips, and occasionally a trip for work. I also fill my time in with Pilots n Paws flights, which are typically on the weekends as well.

Current budget allows for 5 hours a month. It can be local stuff doing approach practice with a safety pilot, Young Eagle flights for EAA or cross country.

This time of year I probably average about 15 hours per month split up about six times per month. Starting about first of April will probably fly 15 times per month for about 40 hour average per month. I sightsee a lot and practice manuevers, maybe every couple weeks. Enjoy weekend flyins. I only have about 50 hours in my newest plane so am doing a lot more practice now. I do practice at home several hours a week to gain proficiency on glass and emergency procedures on my ipad simulator. I have transitioned to glass and find it takes some work for me to be as comfortable with it as I would like to be, hence the extra hours.

Time is tight, so once or maybe twice a month. My rule of late has been to only fly XCs to places I haven't been.

I used to get about 1-4 hours in a week, but since we sold the airplane, I'm lucky to get an hour every 2 years. There's no way I could afford to rent for that kind of flying, it would cost more than I earn.

Ohhhhh, you're talking about flying...I see :). As often as I can...usually averages out to about once a week.

:sad: Man, the only flying I am doing is through MSFS until I'm all saved up to finish training. But it is motivating to read how often you get to fly and the type of flying you all do. Also refreshing to hear of the real world issues we face trying to fulfill this passion (e.g.money, work, life).

I know when I do finish training I will be limited as well. Hopefully link up with another pilot to share cost for XC. Who knows, maybe ill be makin the big bucks in a few years and flying my own shiny new bird (PC12- this is the bird I'm attracted to this month)

I try for every week 2hrs.if not the second week,almost always. three weeks, I'm flying for sure.

Can't afford much anymore. Maybe 10 hours per year. Just got a raise, but I have about 8 more years of my kid's college to pay for. :mad2:

Currently, around 100-120 hours a year. My flying numbers are down due to flying more spam can's.

I try to fly at least once a week -- to keep my engine healthy. Sometimes it's just taking a spin locally, or a flight to a nearby field with (relatively) cheaper fuel. Other times it's a dinner run or a day trip. One of my favorite de-stressing techniques during the warmer months is to pack my bicycle in the plane and go cyclotouring in northern Michigan, or sometimes one of the Lake Erie islands. The last two months I've been attending the PoA meetups in my area; hopefully I'll be able to keep doing that, it's great chatting with other pilots over lunch. Once in a great while a Pilots and Paws mission comes along that I can do, and I enjoy that too, though it's only been twice so far.

Overall I've averaged about 120 hours per year. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep it up though, if the price of fuel keeps going up.

.... Once in a great while a Pilots and Paws mission comes along that I can do, and I enjoy that too, though it's only been twice so far....

This sounds pretty awesome.

... I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep it up though, if the price of fuel keeps going up.

This does not sound awesome.

Trying for at least once a week for an hour give or take. My goal is to fly twice a week this summer.

I fly for fun, food, friends and family visits. Seeing has how I haven't even broken 100 hours it is all still very new to me. Lots of experiencing left to do. :D

Haven't flown as much these past months as I normally do since we are spending the winter away from our home. I have flown about 14 hours total while here in borrowed or rented machines. We leave in two weeks and I hope to make up for lost time. Normally I try to fly 10-15 hours a month for currency, and tend to combine weekend getaways with this. We take about two or three major trips a year, ( I consider 1000 miles plus major) and of course the hours there depend on stops along the way for sightseeing etc.

Oh I do it. I do it as much as I can. Sometimes alone, sometimes with gals, sometimes with guys, sometimes with my dad.

Back