How much trouble am I in?

A

Anonymous

A few decades ago I was slapped with a major depression diagnosis after a parent died (I was 18 and made some statements about wanting to die as well). It didn't make sense to me, so I called it mourning and did a memory dump. When I started flying two years later, I didn't report. And kept not reporting it. I know. My own fault. I was young and stupid and the diagnosis was out of sight, out of mind. I stopped flying for financial reasons about ten years afterward.

I ended up back in therapy late last year with "adjustment disorder - depressed mood." I felt so much better after therapy that I decided I wanted to fly again. I enlisted a HIMS AME for help, applied, was deferred, went through the psych eval, cogscreen, some blood work to check for alcohol issues, etc. All looked good minus the decades-old suicidal thoughts, and I've been waiting on a decision for about six weeks now.

Has anyone gotten approved with this history? And how much trouble am I in for not mentioning that first diagnosis in the first place?

I *think* in this case the statute of limitations is 5 years, so you're probably not facing any penalties as long as you were truthful on your last 8500 you recently submitted. Can't speak to your chances of obtaining a medical cert, your HIMS AME should have that info for you. I would hope that (s)he also provided guidance that you could have flown as a Sport Pilot and that opportunity is lost if you are denied a medical cert...

So you have two events. The question will revolve around can the HIMS psychiatrist tell with certainty the difference between underlying anxiety/depressive disorder with two manifestations, or two reactive depressions.

Recurrent disease, untreated and unmonitored, is 100% denied.

This is a hard one.
And there is no statute of limitations for psychiatry. Sometimes you have to watch a person for a decade before you can arrive at the right diagnosis.

Last edited:
So you have so events. The question will revolve around can the HIMS psychiatrist tell with certainty the difference between underlying anxiety/depressive disorder with two manifestations, or two reactive depressions.

Recurrent disease, untreated and unmonitored, is 100% denied.

This is a hard one.
And there is no statute of limitations for psychiatry. Sometimes you have to watch a person for a decade before you can arrive at the right diagnosis.

Good to know. I suppose all I can do it keep waiting. Too bad I planned this during a pandemic!

How much emphasis does the FAA put on the HIMS psychiatrist's report and diagnosis?

Good to know. I suppose all I can do it keep waiting. Too bad I planned this during a pandemic!

How much emphasis does the FAA put on the HIMS psychiatrist's report and diagnosis?

roughly.....all of it

Re-read the first paragraph of Dr. Bruce's reply.

"The question will revolve around can the HIMS psychiatrist tell with certainty" to me means the HIMS psychiatrist's report will have a big role in your application for a flight medical.

Thanks, all. The HIMS psych said I never actually had depression in his opinion but I figure the FAA won't care since there was a diagnosis. I'm hoping his word mean something, sounds like it might.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back