How much traffic to create a new class D?

n12365

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
How does the FAA decide when an uncontrolled field is turned into class D airspace with a tower. I have heard rumors that Frederick, MD (FDK) will be getting a tower soon and am wondering about Leesburg, VA (JYO). Is it just based on traffic?

Ryan

How does the FAA decide when an uncontrolled field is turned into class D airspace with a tower. I have heard rumors that Frederick, MD (FDK) will be getting a tower soon and am wondering about Leesburg, VA (JYO). Is it just based on traffic?

Ryan

It's done through the Airports District Office (ADO) of the FAA. They use a very convoluted formula primarily based upon traffic count (types of traffic, VFR/IFR, military, commercial). Once need is established then a deal is made with the airport sponsor on funding and the project proceeds.

I wish there was a simple answer, but with most things government it is what it is.

Frederick Municipal was the second-busiest airport in MD in number of operations for a long long time and it's only now getting a tower. The point is that it is not just the amount of traffic. The mix of the traffic, the willingness or unwillingness of the airport owner, and a whole bunch of other things come into play.

This is really an echo of what R&W said, with a specific example.

In addition, Congressional pressure and the skill of the airport manager at obtainin/blocking a tower both come into play. Salisbury MD got one becuase a US Senator who lived here and often flew in on Piedmont/USAir/USAirways Express (name changed over the years) demanded it after seeing another airplane out the window in the pattern one day, and came up with the funds to pay for it. Easton MD got one due to the experience, skill, and persuasiveness of the retired-FAA airport manager. Frederick probably would have had one much sooner but for the actions/inactions of airport management.

Back